What's new

Best Modern High End DE Razor?

A case of YMMV. I love mine. I find it smooth. Not as smooth as some razors but not scary by any means. 2 passes is all I need. No irritation afterwards.
Sure, you're right. I had one and sold it. It is actually smoother than the Fatip IMHO. I prefer smooth razors with almost no blade feel lately, so it had to go.

Charcoal Goods lvl 2 for my mug... no irratation and when I rub my face afterwards, there is nothing there, not even a hint of anything left.

The Ikon Tech is one of my favorites. The most aggressive and efficient razor I've ever used and by a good margin. I find it perfectly smooth if I use a very light touch and a steep shave angle. But I also have a face that goes for really aggressive razors. I'm sure it's not for everyone.

Right up at the top are two borrowed razors that are going home to their rightful owners (@pbrmhl and @loot) very soon. The Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb and the Wolfman WR1 .94 SB. Both are superb razors. In terms of beauty and shave satisfaction, I'd place the WR1 at number 1 and the CGL3 right behind it.

All three of these razors offer amazing feedback (or blade feel if you prefer). I find all three very smooth. The Wolfman is smoothest of the three and just a tad behind the CGL3 in aggressiveness, which is a half or three quarter step behind the Ikon Tech. But the CGL3 and the Wolfman best the Ikon in beauty and workmanship. Both are works of art. There's nothing wrong with the Ikon. It's made from aircraft grade aluminum and is beautiful in its own right. It's just not an artisan razor.

Among the other high-quality razors I've tried, I have a lot of respect for the Blackland Dart and the ATT (my preferred head is the H (and the SE2 if you go for single edges -- wow!), but I'm sure the R and M are great for guys who don't like too much aggression).

In my rotation Barbaros TR-02 is the first in "high-end" better in quality and more strong vs ATT.
The ATT Calypso and Atlas S1 are well made but with blade chatters, i don't like it,but ATT are unequal in performance.
Barbaros is quite smooth and confortably but very close with gentle blades.

I'm loving my Ikon Shavecraft Tech. I wouldn't use it as an every day razor, but I don't like to shave ATG, and shave closeness still matters to me. Nothing shaves closer than the Tech (at least, nothing I own). It provides a comfortable shave, even with how efficient the razor shaves.

"High end" obviously means different things to different folks. :001_cool:

My favorites are my Asylum RX and Karve with F plate. The RX is simply awesome for me, consistently giving an incredibly smooth and long lasting shave. The Karve is more forgiving, slightly less long-lasting, and an equally fine example of machining.

I would love to try the Barbaros, Paradigm, etc., but $350+ for a razor is getting into conspicuous consumption territory, for me.

Barbaros is not so expensive and it is a good razor, quite mild and efficient

Do you have the TR-2? Is it a mild razor? I've found that I don't like traditionally mild razors. I tend toward mid-aggressive. The only mild razors that have survived in my collection are the Timeless 0.68, the Charcoal Goods Lvl-1, and the RS-10 Mild.

Charcoal Goods lvl 2 for my mug... no irratation and when I rub my face afterwards, there is nothing there, not even a hint of anything left.

I agree...its brilliant....and no other razor Ive tried sings like it does....been thinking a lot about getting a lvl 3 plate and have to ask why....

I agree...its brilliant....and no other razor Ive tried sings like it does....been thinking a lot about getting a lvl 3 plate and have to ask why....
FWIW I have the lvl 3 base plate. It is very aggressive, much more than the 2013 R41, comparable to a Futur wide open and an Ikon Tech. A lot of blade feel, but if you can get the technique down, the efficiency is amazing.

FWIW I have the lvl 3 base plate. It is very aggressive, much more than the 2013 R41, comparable to a Futur wide open and an Ikon Tech. A lot of blade feel, but if you can get the technique down, the efficiency is amazing.
+1

I consider the L3 considerably more aggressive than the 2013 R41. For me, it's far more effective than the 2011 R41. Almost identical to the Wolfman WR1 .94 in several ways (but to my eye more appealing).

Do you have the TR-2? Is it a mild razor? I've found that I don't like traditionally mild razors. I tend toward mid-aggressive. The only mild razors that have survived in my collection are the Timeless 0.68, the Charcoal Goods Lvl-1, and the RS-10 Mild.

If a Merkur CC is a mild razor (not an EJ) the TR-02 could be a mid razor if you use a gentle blade, not too sharp, stainless. Whith sharper blade it is confortable but seems to become too harsh whith my tecnique, beard and skin.
No for shure the Barbaros TR-02 is not an aggressive razor, less blade feel than a Fatip Gentile or a Cobbled that is similar in efficiency but is a little bit aggressive, this prefer sharper blade for example, Barbaros could accept sharper blades but with a little disconfort feeling. in stead of a milder stainless blade IMHO.

Hello and thank you everyone. So I recently went through a pretty big case of BAD, but now I feel the RAD picking up. Here is what is currently in my collection (in the order I picked hem up) and my thoughts.

Merkur 34c HD - 1st DE razor. I enjoy but don't reach for it often since getting others
2 Gillette Super Speeds - Love, great feel and build, comfortable but not that close a shave
Gillette Fat Boy - Love, adjustable and customize for the day, good feel and build
Gillette Slim - Great, but prefer the Fat Boy
WCS El Capitan - Favorite so far, CNC Charcoal Goods (level 1) design, great weight
Timeless 0.95 SB - New, only 2 shaves, much more efficient, still learning
Timeless 0.95 SCL - Haven't had an opportunity to shave with yet
Timeless 0.68 SB - Recently picked up on B/S/T, still in transit, considering adding SCL
Karve Christopher Bradley B/C/D - Ordered, significant wait time
Charcoal Goods Level 2 - recently joined the wait list, really long wait

So quite the bug, as I worked toward doubling my collection and I still find myself checking out more and would love to hear from people that have used them (perhaps can compare to some I have in my collection) or recommend something else I need to try. I'm not much of and OC fan so I tend to be looking at SB or Scalloped. I feel I've been more in the Mild camp and would like to step up to Medium Agressive. I am not interested in going Full Agressive. I have sensitive skin and only medium dense/coarse hair. I find it extremely easy to get irritation and am thinking going a little more aggressive might actually be smoother. So here is the list and my current thoughts.

Wolfman WR1 - thinking 0.61 SB, would love to pick one up but supply is extremely limited
Black Bird Polished - Finding extremely interesting reviews, seems YMMV with Timeless
BBS-1 - sound amazing, perhaps best, impossible to find
Timeless Bronze SB - Interesting, but not finding much love
Rockwell 6S - Sounded interesting, but choose to go Karve CB instead
ATT - I don't know, doesn't really interest me

With all the experience in this forum, please tell me where you think I should best spend my money (and where I shouldn't blow it). I understand that each input is just the person's opinion and everyone will have a different experience. However, I am extremely interested to hear what people have to say.
You need one slant...Merkur or Parker.One muhle Rocca...great razor.....one Feather as-d2 .....great mild razor just because......and one disposible blade Kamisori straight so you have a super sharp razor to evolve into.Buy a hundred of every blade you like and give away the ones you don"t...its cheap and fun to experiment-Pif...turn your buddys onto de shaving most will love it and their wives will like the way they smell with the new soaps and aftershaves....you'll change their lives!

I've bought this used. The Huge blade Gap at the first appears me like an aggressive razor. But this with some blade (turkish) on my Beard/Skin produce soft efficient shaves. I don't know why but tis tazor is a connubio of efficiency and smootness.

Top Bottom