What's new

Best Modern GEM vs. Vinatage

The only "modern" I have tried is the PAA Starling V2 and did not care for it. Same as was already mentioned, sharp corners and difficult blade angle for me. I love my Clog Pruf and you can pry my Contour Push Button from my cold dead hands. Not just the best single edge I have used, but one of the best razors I've ever used.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
That's exactly what makes the Gem razors so great to acquire...my razors are for the most part either NOS or barely used and I've never paid more than $30 or so for any of them.[\QUOTE]

Likewise, of the five Gem razors I own, the cheapest was $2.50 and the most expensive $30. What I meant in reference to my preference for newer razors was that I'd like to encourage some innovation in SE (and particularly Gem-style) among the current makers. That doesn't happen too much in an environment where their products inevitably get slagged over the cost. On the other hand, I suspect there are some vintage Gillette fans over on the DE side who can slag a new DE razor with "...but you can get a vintage Gillette for $5 and it shaves just as well." Point being, YMMV.

I did not like the Starling at all, all sharp corners, an awkward shaver compared to the Micromatic family.

I bought the Starling (V2) before I had read a lot of the negative comments. That made me careful with it, for sure. While I'm not mad for the aluminum I've come to accept it. The handle is longer than older standard Gem handles, which I like. It is a quirky design and is only going to work for some. I'm glad to be one of them!

I was more concerned about the corner exposure on the ATT G1. The Starling V2 has corner guards. But in general, no real problem with either one that paying attention won't minimize.

O.H.

Off the top of my head, here's a quick list:

1) Sabre, which came out in two iterations, named Level 1 and Level 2. The Level 1 is quite mild, by report
2) Above the Tie G1. The first version of this one was also apparently ridiculously mild, to the point that purchasers were offered free exchanges when the head was re-tooled. This was a really cool looking razor but as far as I can tell was a complete failure. I never hear anyone talk about it at all. I'm not even sure if it is still being made
3) Pheonix Artisan Accountrements Starling. Again, I think two versions
4) Whatever that God-awful thing was I tried out a few years ago in a passaround. It was so bad I can't even remember what it was called or who made it. It cost upwards of $200, if memory serves. No blade tabs, so it tended to cut up the face with the edges of the blade. It was also very aggressive. Maybe somebody reading this can remember what the razor was called and who made it

I suspect your fourth candidate is the Rocnel SE-G, a beautiful steampunk razor that uses the Gem blade, but a bit of a challenge. I suspect the screw that tightens to hold the blade in place torques the blade in a manner that essentially eliminates smoothness. I still use mine from time to time. For me, it’s in the same category as a Mongoose or Asylum RX with a Feather Super Pro blade.

I suspect your fourth candidate is the Rocnel SE-G, a beautiful steampunk razor that uses the Gem blade, but a bit of a challenge. I suspect the screw that tightens to hold the blade in place torques the blade in a manner that essentially eliminates smoothness. I still use mine from time to time. For me, it’s in the same category as a Mongoose or Asylum RX with a Feather Super Pro blade.
Yes, that's it! The Rocnel. Thanks. For the life of me I couldn't remember who made that razor.

Top Bottom