What's new

Best Modern GEM vs. Vinatage

I have a ‘30’s Micromatic and a ‘58 Push Button. As a daily shaver, they both are efficient and effective. However, the weight and required angle of the MMOC makes it a favorite.
is the mmoc flat on face?
which Gem's are flat on face? which ones are find the best angle?

is the mmoc flat on face?
which Gem's are flat on face? which ones are find the best angle?
Almost all of them came with a recommendation for the razor to be, if not exactly flat on the face, very close to it. In other words, to use a very shallow angle.

I can't remember which one was the exception, but I do remember seeing a photo of an instruction leaflet that advised a steeper angle.

With the MMOC, you'll definitely want to go quite shallow.

Yeah, those are not related to GEM type although technologies copied perhaps.

So let me change up the question. Given that the GEM's (vintage or modern) and the ATT, Sabre, Mongoose, etc. use the same blade do you prefer the GEM's or ATT, Sabre, Mongoose, etc. razors.

So let me change up the question. Given that the GEM's (vintage or modern) and the ATT, Sabre, Mongoose, etc. use the same blade do you prefer the GEM's or ATT, Sabre, Mongoose, etc. razors.

I’m solely vintage. Would not even consider pot metal razors or modern copies.

I exclusively use vintage SE razors. After much research into "modern" ones I have concluded that they ate not worth the money or my time. The vintage razors provide great shaves at a fraction of the price and they have proven they can stand the test of time. I also like the history of vintage razors along with the nice look they have.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well said, I too use the vintage GEM razors.
Getting great shaves, so have zero interest in spending money on what appears to be an over-priced modern item.

Well said, I too use the vintage GEM razors.
Getting great shaves, so have zero interest in spending money on what appears to be an over-priced modern item.
I think the modern razors that take GEM blades are plagued by a common problem: blade loading.

Vintage GEMs have simple mechanisms: twist-to-open (like the Micromatics), lids with springs (like the 1912, Streamline, etc.), a "door" lid that snaps closed (like the Shovelhead), and even a small lever that turns easily into place to hold the blade (like some of the older lather catchers).

By way of contrast, the Sabre is a 3-piece. Blade loading of a 3-piece razor is not particularly complex, but it's harder than any of the above options. The ATT G-1 is a 4-piece, including a tiny little piece that could easily get lost if it is dropped. Loading of this razor does appear to be fidgety.

Finally, as mentioned above, the vintage razors were not only well designed in terms of blade loading, but they shave great. And they are "cheap as chips," as the British say. I think both the Sabre and the G-1 LOOK nice, but I can't see paying what they're asking given that I have a drawer full of incredible vintage razors that shave great and are not fussy at all.

of course vintage can shave as well as the modern options. still the same problem between utility and luxury i think. I really like my sabre because i find it nice looking and well built.The shave results are about the same i got with my clogpruf, but maybe easier to achieve.

I have nothing against modern Gem razors in theory, but in practice those I have tried did not better the MMOC in either handling or shave quality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I personally tend more toward the newer Gem razors: the PAA Starling V2 is one of my go-to razors. Partially this is my own quirk about vintage items -- if they were used a lot they may not be in tip-top condition or may be unusable.

Also, as I've said before, the 1912 Gem and the 1914 Ever-Ready don't give me a very close shave. I recently picked up an MMOC which I have yet to use. I'm working through a month of shaves with an ATT SE1, then maybe I'll load up the MMOC between the SE1 and SE2. I'm trying the AC format for the first time and finding it very good, with close shaves and a lovely amount of blade feel.

That said, I'm now ready to take a cruise through the stable and see what can be PIF'ed on to other afficionadi.

O.H.

I personally tend more toward the newer Gem razors: the PAA Starling V2 is one of my go-to razors. Partially this is my own quirk about vintage items -- if they were used a lot they may not be in tip-top condition or may be unusable.

That's exactly what makes the Gem razors so great to acquire...my razors are for the most part either NOS or barely used and I've never paid more than $30 or so for any of them.

I did not like the Starling at all, all sharp corners, an awkward shaver compared to the Micromatic family.

I didn't like the aluminum of the starling. It sticks/sucks to my face. The results were.good and it did have sharp corners as JMUDRICK said. The Sabre is a dream. MM results but easier to manage. I have to say there is a lot of hate in the modern Gems in this thread. I find that interesting since most have said they haven't even used one.

Top Bottom