• Gillette Mach 3 Turbo

• Gillette Fusion

• Gillette Fusion Proglide

• Gillette Fusion Proshield

• Schick Quattro

• Schick Hydro 5 Sense

• Schick Hydro 3

Results are only viewable after voting.
1. Wilkinson sword extra 2 and 3 sensitive-Comfortable close shave every time. Due to big head that most popular carts have I always miss a spot, but mach
2.Mach3/fusion (regular)- shave almost the same
3. Feintechnik (3 blade)- great razor, cheap, but cartridge lasts a week

Well, having just come back from 5 days away with my wife up in Canada, where I used a cartridge exclusively while there, you need to put a Harry's up on that list.

I've previously tried the sample Fusion razors that have come in the mail and received horrible shaves from them. Lots of burn, little nicks, sting with aftershave, etc. I was pleasantly surprised by the shave of the Harry's razor, it's the new head with the trimmer on the top edge. Perhaps it was using real soap/cream, as the last time I may have used some goop from a tube or can that the local store had. This time around I'd brought some Proraso Green in a small container and a travel brush. While out and about stumbled on some Body Shop Macca Root for $7 US ($10 Cdn) and bought and used it the last two days, which is even slicker feeling.

If you need to shave and don't /can't have access to you DE, the Harry's was extremely easy and comfortable to use. Did three passes, just like I would with one of my DEs and received BBS shaves, WTG, XTG, and finally ATG. - Didn't really seem to last much longer, or any longer, but the shave was actually pretty darn good. It was however very easy and carefree to use, making for a very fast shave.

Since the poll is limited to the choices on the list, I voted Mach 3/Mach 3 Turbo. Still my go-to razor when I need a BBS shave in a hurry and is truly excellent when you dump the canned goo in favor of good soap/cream and a brush.

Last fall I held a "shave off" that included the Fusion, Quattro, Harry's, and Dorco.

Without boring you with the detail, Harry's was my favorite handle (And also seems to be the most environmentally friendly company/product), and the Fusion cart is the ultimate winner.

The Fusion wins on many levels, but for me the biggest advantage is that it doesn't clog as easily as the others, and when it does, it rinses clean very quickly.

My results are based strictly on head shaving; they might change if I try the same with shaving my face.

I recently bought a new cartridge razor, the first in almost 10 years. It's the Gillette ProGlide. I can honestly say I've gotten the closest, most irritation-free shave I ever got from any razor.
I've tried:
- Gillette Mach 3
- Gillette Fusion
- Schick Quattro
- Schick Hydro 5 (but not the newest)

Gillette ProGlide Pros:
- extremely close and comfortable shave
- only have to shave every other day

Cons:
- very expensive cartridges
- possibility of ingrown hairs*
*This is the main reason I switched to DE shaving

Gimmicks:
- power
- ball
- ProShield strip

Conclusion.
Am I back to being a cartridge guy after 3+ years of DE shaving? I don't know yet but I'm going to see how long this cartridge lasts and take it from there. I am at a point with the DE that I could shave every day with very little irritation but I can never get as close as with the Gillette ProGlide.
My main concern is ingrown hairs...

you meant to the regular proglide blades or the power proglide blades ?

i wouldn't say because for most of my life i have been using only electrics... but since 1998 i used a mach3 and then (since 2015) a Fusion Power proglide flexball. Between the two i prefer the latter by far, easy BBS in two passes. Many people say the electric vibration is just a gimmick but i have to disagree: i found out it helps a lot during the ATG pass helping the "gliding" of the blade. Comparing it to a manual proglide i had a better result with the powered version.
Disclaimer: i have no experience with other brands razors so my conclusions could be biased.

Many people say the electric vibration is just a gimmick but i have to disagree:

I agree with your disagreement. :) The vibration definitely makes a difference for the better. If I recall correctly, the theory is that it helps the hairs stand up straighter, allowing a closer, more efficient shave. Whatever, it works.

I'm very happy with my DE and Artist Club razors, but always looking at the next shaving "innovation" in cartridge razors ... anything new and exciting out there worth looking at?

... anything new and exciting out there worth looking at?
i wouldn't know...since i have never used anything different from the gillette razors... And since i'm moving to electrics for healthy issues i'm sincerely not interested in findng anything "new". That said IMHO i think there will be difficult finding a better cart than the fusion proglide in the near future. But then again YMMV

Top Bottom