What's new

Best mild vintage razor?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know my British Flat Bottom Techs and the British Raised Flat Bottom are a bit more efficient than the US Techs, which I have not tried. I do need to try my 1953 Super Speed and my British Rocket HD 500. I think both of them are a bit more mild.... Does anyone else know about them in particular?

I know my British Flat Bottom Techs and the British Raised Flat Bottom are a bit more efficient than the US Techs, which I have not tried. I do need to try my 1953 Super Speed and my British Rocket HD 500. I think both of them are a bit more mild.... Does anyone else know about them in particular?
So then, how do you know this? You've been here long enough to understand that just about everything posted here is opinion and/or internet lore.

Last edited:
I’ve a 1955 Gillette Super Speed flair tip date code is A1. This is the mildest shaver I say more mild than even the mild Merkur 34 HD.

You get a mild shave that leaves your skin in tact there is barely any feedback felt and no sound for feedback either. I have chased BBS with it and gave myself razor burn so now I respect it for a close shave only. The thing I like is it allows you a quick shave that is more than decently close the shave can be care free but I would be done in 1 or 2 passes next time.

I have got a FBT but I have never used the Raised FB. I find the FBT to be the most efficient Tech variant tried so far. I have yet to try a U.S or Canadian one, though I have a Canadian WW2 example to try out.

I have a 1948-9 Super Speed and it is a lovely shave. I find it similar to the FBT. I don't think the 53' will be much different. The later Super Speeds may well be slightly less efficient though. the 40's Super Speeds seem the best of the family.

I have a 1953 English Rocket, like this
proxy.php

It comes in at around 60gm, basically the Rocket HD with an aluminium handle. The HD weighs around 72gms

I have heard it said that it is slightly less 'aggressive' than the HD, although I can't see Gillette UK designing a completely different head for a razor that only cost a shilling less. I suspect it is the weight giving some users this impression.

It's a fantastic shaver, somewhat more efficient than my Super Speed.

I think you will enjoy it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
So then, how do you know this? You've been here long enough to understand that just about everything posted here is opinion and/or internet lore.
OK... I'll rephrase... I've heard, etc., etc. .... or My British ___ are supposed to be more efficient... I am taking the word of several Vintage Gillette guys however.....

If you end up buying one, I'd be interested in your observations, of course, because you have decades of experience shaving with Vintage Gillette razors.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have got a FBT but I have never used the Raised FB. I find the FBT to be the most efficient Tech variant tried so far. I have yet to try a U.S or Canadian one, though I have a Canadian WW2 example to try out.

I have a 1948-9 Super Speed and it is a lovely shave. I find it similar to the FBT. I don't think the 53' will be much different. The later Super Speeds may well be though.

I have a 1953 English Rocket, like this
proxy.php

It comes in at around 60gm, basically the Rocket HD with an aluminium handle. The HD weighs around 72gms

I have heard it said that it is slightly less 'aggressive' than the HD, although I can't see Gillette UK designing a completely different head for a razor that only cost a shilling less. I suspect it is the weight giving some users this impression.

It's a fantastic shaver, somewhat more efficient than my Super Speed.

I think you will enjoy it.
Thanks, A_Ladd.

The seller listed the Rocket as "early 1950's", if I recall correctly.

OK... I'll rephrase... I've heard, etc., etc. .... or My British ___ are supposed to be more efficient... I am taking the word of several Vintage Gillette guys however.....

If you end up buying one, I'd be interested in your observations, of course, because you have decades of experience shaving with Vintage Gillette razors.
Me? I'm good on vintage Gillettes. My observations are meaningless other than an opinion based on my face, my beard, and how good (or not) I did with the product. Then there are the blades. They're all different for everyone.

Very nice? Do you have a favorite amongst those four?

also, I need to stop reading these threads, otherwise I will end up with more razors… ha!

Thanks. The 3 Techs all shave pretty much the same but the 1962 one is my birth year razor. That and the '51 tech get regular use. Even though I don't shave with it that often the 1954 Speed Razor is one of my favorites in my collection of 10 safety razors.

The '62 Tech in a Gillette case.
IMG_20221101_085640.jpg
IMG_20221101_085918.jpg

Last edited:
To me Chris, the English Rocket HD shaves somewhat more efficiently than the EJ89 heads. But not crazy somewhat. Maybe 10% more efficient? However it's much more forgiving of angle used. That may give you an idea of that type.

This mythical English Flat Bottom Tech shaves just like my EJ DES89K 'Kelvin' to my face. Again the angle forgivingness is better with the Tech though, I find. The FBT may have a tiny edge, maybe 5% more efficient.

I have never really figured out the mild/efficient/aggressive trio of terms so often deployed on B&B discussions. All I can be fairly sure of is that vintage Gillettes (which I have the vast majority of my DE shaving 'miles' clocked up on now) are mild and efficient without being aggressive.

In that I mean you can get a BBS if your technique is halfway decent, without worrying too hard at 7am if you are going to cut yourself up, which kind of ruins the shaving experience for me. Some Gents may chase that, but I prefer a more carefree shave.

Gillette aimed for the man on the street, like 90% of the adult male population, that wanted a good shave without hassle, while using the less forgiving blades of the 20's - early 60's. They offered open combs if you wanted a little more, and the adjustables above setting 5 are the widest blade gaps ever put out by Gillette.

Gillettes are the best efficient 'mild' vintages out there. Although 'mild' is a relative term. I prefer 'forgiving'.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
All of the Gillettes mentioned above on this page are mild. When you talk about a Flat Bottom Tech being more efficient or more aggressive than a USA Tech, we are really talking about tiny increases. Negligible increases in most cases. Same with comparing a Rocket to a USA Super Speed. Small incremental changes there.

Comparing a Blue Tip to a Silver Tip and Red Tip is also quite negligible. Maybe a click or two on a Slim between each of them. Not much. They are all what I consider very mild shavers, and much less efficient compared to modern razors.

Comparing an RFB to a USA Tech is not a fair comparison, as the RFB is a NEW, not a Tech. It’s a NEW. As in “NEW Raised Flat Bottom”. So once again, the changes in aggression between a USA NEW and the RFB are small. And I dare say that a USA NEW SC may be more efficient than the RFB. The RFB is smoother. But I think the SC is perhaps closer. The LC sits somewhere In the middle in my opinion. They are all quite mild compared to modern high efficiency razors as well.

In my experience all Super Speed related razors are quite similarly mild. There are small difference in Mildness. But nothing major. I don’t think you get to an efficient TTO shave until you hit an early Brit Aristocrat, or crank an Adjustable to 8 or 9. I have been using my adjustables on 9 these days and that is a good efficient shave. But still not reaching the level on modern highly efficient razors. Not even close.

How do I know all this stuff? I know a lot of people talk about things they read, or things they assume. But that is not the case with me. This is a part of my current razor display:

F4FDFFB1-3EA2-40B2-8678-B1A2B5539B27.jpeg

2551FE5A-CB4C-4513-96FF-F325BC237DEB.jpeg

My various SuperSpeed razors seem to fall into the goldilocks zone*. Mild enough while efficient enough*, audible feedback but can still hear what Mrs. Rookie is talking to me about. I have I think 4 different SuperSpeeds and use them all regularly. The Red Tip is slightly more aggressive*, the '76 black handled one is the extreme edge of usably mild*, the '56 and 40s somewhere in the middle*.

I also have a Tech and a modern Mühl which see occasional use, and an old Gem single edge which gives great shaves if I haven't let the scruff go too long. The Muhl is too mild to use* so it's waiting another year or two for my son to be ready to start shaving (he's 11 now, they grow up so quickly!). The Tech, I just need to play with that more so it becomes as comfortable and familiar as my SS razors. Honestly, I got it for the red brass head.

*These are my opinions only and should not be taken as fact or in place of your own research. As always YMMV and I would encourage anyone to make their own purchases and decide for themselves.

If you haven’t tried an authentic Gillette Super Speed, you are missing out!

I have a silver + blue tip Super Speed, as I said above, and the latter is quite mild. The silver is more of a medium-to-high razor in my experience, although that experience is coloured by my using that early in my journey into DE shaving. I'll definitely give it another change.

-Z

I haven’t been DE shaving too long, but have bought over 100 vintage Gillette razors (and a couple Schick Kronos, Star 100, etc.) seeking the perfect shave. So far, the late 1940s Milord creates a nearly perfect mild shave. You’d think it’s just a gold plated Super Speed, but the head geometry is different, making its performance much milder than I expected.

Top Bottom