What's new

Best mild vintage razor?

Does anyone have a particular favourite mild vintage razor? I know about the Post-War Tech & Super Speed Blue- and I have, & like, both. Any other suggestions?

Thx,
-Z

I’m going to go against the grain here, pun intended, and state my opinion that I don’t think a Tech is a mild razor. I believe any iteration of Super Speed I’ve tried has been not only milder but more efficient for me due to the fact that it’s a milder design. If you haven’t tried an authentic Gillette Super Speed, you are missing out!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Spiral handle British aluminum tech. You're welcome.

1200524-b3416f4931341ad2c3fb8cedd1dfa1ec.jpg

I’m going to go against the grain here, pun intended, and state my opinion that I don’t think a Tech is a mild razor. I believe any iteration of Super Speed I’ve tried has been not only milder but more efficient for me due to the fact that it’s a milder design. If you haven’t tried an authentic Gillette Super Speed, you are missing out!
I agree. I have both prewar and postwar Techs, and several Superspeeds. All are great razors. But I have to take multiple extra passes with a Tech, which can lead to more irritation vs. the Superspeeds.

So yes, the Tech is technically “milder” - see what I did there? - but less forgiving than the more efficient Superspeed.

Almost every time I use a Tech, I end up having to put a blade in a Superspeed to finish the job anyway.

I have a few of the razors mentioned in this thread but I don't think there is a better mild vintage Gillette than the 40's through 60's Ball End Techs. I shaved with my '61 today after it sat unused for a few weeks saying, "What happened? I used to be your favorite!" I've been playing with a couple of older open comb Gillettes (Old Type and NEW) and a few new razors - Masamune, Rocca, R41, Gillette Heritage (which is really an R89 on a USA made common bar handle). I often say that the Feather AS-D2 would be my desert island razor but the ball end Tech certainly is comparable in everything but build quality. Just a wonderful shave this morning.

Last edited:
I often say that the Feather AS-D2 would be my desert island razor but the ball end Tech certainly is comparable in everything but build quality. Just a wonderful shave this morning.
Even then the build quality of a tech is still very good. Of all the razors I’ve used the tech would probably be my desert island razor. Agreed on them giving wonderful shaves

Even then the build quality of a tech is still very good. Of all the razors I’ve used the tech would probably be my desert island razor. Agreed on them giving wonderful shaves
Oh, hell yes! I have three Techs. One is a war era, fat handle with the triangular slots, one is a 1946 gold ball end (dated from the unopened blades in the box), and the '61. All are in incredibly good shape and have 99% or better of their original plating. All have been owned by me for years. The '61 has been heavily used in that time and considering it's 61 years old this year has another 61 years easy (if it's taken care of). I like those old plated brass razors a lot!

Both my choices are non-Gillette's:
#1 Schick Krona (Mild, super efficient and works with any blade) Best kept secret in vintage!
#2 Star Model 100 (Mild but a notch up from Gillette Techs in term of efficiency) A hidden gem!
I tried out a couple of Tech's and sold them both. Super mild but zero efficiency.
The only Gillette I've kept is the Slim adjustable!

full

full

Top Bottom