What's new

Best method for heating towels?

Very much like that, but it had lots more pages, etc. I remember it talking about hot towels, I think! Very old fashioned tone. Talking about what a young barber had to do to work hsi way up to a first chair, etc.

Cool I will try and hunt for it online!

Any other clues about what it contained, which might narrow down the search?

Hope I am not misremembering this, because I had a rather extensive photocopy of something similar as well. Seems to me this manual took up sort of an entire web site. Web site had kind of a yellow theme if I remember. Had hyperlinks to chapers.

Manual seems like it would have been published in the 30s. Lots of black and white photos, but drawings and other illustrations, too.

And maybe it was strictly shaving, too, with no haircuts. I remember towels and witchhazel. Actually I think I remember facials, too, rolling creams, and the like. How to strop, how to hone. How to approach the customer in the chair so that he was comfortable, that time of thing. A very specific old-fashioned voice to it, as in this is specifically how to be a great barber. Follow all of these instructions and do not be lazy!

I do not remember it being hard to find in the past.

Hope I am not misremembering this, because I had a rather extensive photocopy of something similar as well. Seems to me this manual took up sort of an entire web site. Web site had kind of a yellow theme if I remember. Had hyperlinks to chapers.

Manual seems like it would have been published in the 30s. Lots of black and white photos, but drawings and other illustrations, too.

And maybe it was strictly shaving, too, with no haircuts. I remember towels and witchhazel. Actually I think I remember facials, too, rolling creams, and the like. How to strop, how to hone. How to approach the customer in the chair so that he was comfortable, that time of thing. A very specific old-fashioned voice to it, as in this is specifically how to be a great barber. Follow all of these instructions and do not be lazy!

I do not remember it being hard to find in the past.

No luck so far, I did find this though that has a couple of useful tips about folding/positioning the towel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A30912932

That is a great tutorial. Note that they suggest putting menthol crystals in with the towel when running it under hot water. Had not thought about a purpose of the towel being to make the shavee sweat.

It's funny, the writing style is sort of mocking the style of older manual I have been thinking of!

Great find. Is this link in the wiki or whatever, I wonder. Well worth anyone's reading.

Thanks

That is a great tutorial. Note that they suggest putting menthol crystals in with the towel when running it under hot water. Had not thought about a purpose of the towel being to make the shavee sweat.

It's funny, the writing style is sort of mocking the style of older manual I have been thinking of!

Great find. Is this link in the wiki or whatever, I wonder. Well worth anyone's reading.

Thanks

I'm not sure if it is, you mean a shave wiki for Badger & Blade?

I've only used a hot towel two times. Both time I simply used the hottest water I could get from the tap. It worked fine.

Note that they suggest putting menthol crystals in with the towel when running it under hot water. Had not thought about a purpose of the towel being to make the shavee sweat.

I am going to get some crystals when I am next at the chemist and let you kbnow how it goes.

I used their method of the folding the towel lengthways, and then putting the centre of it on the chin and then laying the r/h side to the l/h temple and vice-versa.

It still didnt retain heat for too long though:frown:

I am going to get some crystals when I am next at the chemist and let you kbnow how it goes.

I used their method of the folding the towel lengthways, and then putting the centre of it on the chin and then laying the r/h side to the l/h temple and vice-versa.

It still didnt retain heat for too long though:frown:

Thanks. They seemed to be talking about Turkish towels. I am sure we could Google it, but I wonder what makes a Turksih towel compared to any other kind? Same as terry cloth? What I do not know about wikis would fill volumes, so I do not really know. Also maybe what I was thinking of was associated with one of the major wet shaving pages. I am really wondering where some copyright issue came up so they took it down. I suppose the internet archive web site might bring it back!

Thanks. They seemed to be talking about Turkish towels. I am sure we could Google it, but I wonder what makes a Turksih towel compared to any other kind? Same as terry cloth? What I do not know about wikis would fill volumes, so I do not really know. Also maybe what I was thinking of was associated with one of the major wet shaving pages. I am really wondering where some copyright issue came up so they took it down. I suppose the internet archive web site might bring it back!

TURKISH TOWEL
The Turkish towel is essentially a bath towel measuring approximately 90cm x 110cm. Made of cotton or linen originally, later and especially in the 18th century, it was constructed with a looped pile section in the center.

The towel would still have been the drab piece of bath accessory if the Ottomans did not intercede. They brought style, design and fancy weaving to the towels with the help of their well-honed carpet weaving skills in the 17th century. Their towel was different in the sense that their 2/2-twill weave had extra-warp loop pile. It actually means that apart from the warp and weft of any other woven cloth their towel also had pile or loops of thread standing up from the rudimentary cloth.

Turkish Towel Guide
Why Turkish Cotton?
Turkish cotton is premium cotton that has extra long fiber and is grown in the small but productive Aegean region.
Using longer fiber cotton in spinning yarn means fewer joins. Fewer joins results in stronger and smoother cotton threads.
Turkish Cotton becomes even softer, fluffier, and more absorbent with successive washings.
Turkish Cotton vs. Egyptian Cotton
Egyptian Cotton is known for its absorbency, which is especially suited for apparel, shirting and sheets, however in towels too much absorbency means that a towel is still wet the next day after it is used. Also too absorbent towels tend to become wet in humid climates all by themselves.
Turkish Cotton provides the perfect balance between absorbency and softness which makes it the best yarn to be used in towels.
Turkish Cotton, when used in towels, provides maximum absorbency and efficient drying.

TERRYTOWEL
Terrycloth, terry cloth, terry towelling, terry, or simply towelling is a fabric with loops that can absorb large amounts of water. It can be manufactured by weaving or knitting, with weaving on a dobby loom the predominant commercial method, having two beams of longitudinal warp through which the filler or weft is fired laterally.

Last edited:
Sounds like a really good-sized, thick towel, aybe with a pretty tight weave. Instructive.

Basically yeah, something thicker (like badger hair on the brush) in theory should retain more hot water & the heat for longer.

I might try some of those terry cloths, I have thick towels, not 'Turkish' ones, but I don't have the terry cloth base covered and for completeness I must!:smile:

I reckon stepping out of a steam room then shaving would be ideal, although not really realistic in the average house.

I will try those menthol crystals hopefully later on this week and let you know how I get on.

The last 5 or so shaves I have been pouring boiling water onto a small towel into the sink and allowing it to cool slightly for 2 or so minutes while I lather shaving cream onto my face.

Then I pick it out of the sink and open it out so the air can cool it even more,.

Fold the towel in half & assume the position lying on my back and then lay the towel on my face & neck until it has lost its heat.

Just curious as to what others do really.

- I do exactly the same with very good results by now.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but after my son stops taking a bottle I plan on trying to use the bottle sterilizer to heat towels up.

What does your bottle sterilizer look like?
Interesting...
Tom

Tom,

Here's a link to one similar to what we have. http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...c/_categoryid_MCC_STERILIZERS_SU_US_CONSUMER/ I have no idea how well it will work, but I know the bottles are piping hot if I remove them too early. I'm sure finding the right mixture of water to add and how wet to make the towels will take some experimentation, but I'm willing to try.

I keep our hot water temp low because we have small children. Plus, my wife doesn't like real hot showers, so I can manage with a mediocre temperature. I'm also a tight wad when it comes to heating the water. I have personally found through my short time wet shaving that my shaves are better and my face responds better if I go through a pre-shave routine such as lathering and applying a hot wash cloth. The problem I have is that the wash cloth is not warm enough to start. I'm hoping to rectify that w/ the bottle sterilizer.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Last edited:
This machine is pretty neat!
I'll bet I'll need to look for a used one of these.
The AVANT has a FAIRLY small footprint and looks to do what we need doing.
Please let us know how it works...

Why wait till the wee nipper is off the bottle?????
You need it NOW
hahahahaha

Tom

I'll shower or scrub my face with hot water and Maja. Then i amble to the kitchen and touch off the microwave (preset for 5 minutes to heat a Pyrex container with 1.5 liters of water). I'll grab a smoke while it does its magic. Then I carry the Pyrex to the bathroom, pour our the hot tap water that has preheated my brush and my cream or soap (mug or small 3.5" bowl in a cereal bowl (6" dia.) and replace the tap water with the hot water from the microwave. While that is being done, I place a tap water hot towel on my face, followed by shave oil. Then, and only then, does the fun begin!

Was I the only one that did not know what Maja was? Nice stuff!

Top Bottom