What's new

best menthol additive

I am interested in experimenting with adding small amounts of menthol to aftershaves. I understand that there are different types available such as synthetic vs non-synthetic. Any suggestions for which type would be best? Generally speaking, I am looking for a mild cooling effect with minimal scent from the menthol. Thanks

Well only way that you won't smell regular menthol is if you add very little which sounds might work for you only wanting mild cooling. I think regular menthol crystals would be the cheapest option, ws-23 might work very well for you too being mild with no scent.

I will sometimes mix a pea-sized amount of 444 after-shave balm to a splash of after-shave if I am after a mild cool-down effect. Works very well with bay rum. Recently, I tried it with Captain's Choice "Island Time" and it worked well there too. Sometimes, it doesn't work that well, it depends on the scent of the after-shave.

I bought .5 oz of menthol crystals from Amazon. They dissolve in vodka in a few mins or less (I don't time it). I use one shard/crystal per every 10 ml of liquid. I see Stirling sells it in liquid form and I think that's probably the way to go.

Ethos Grooming sells what he calls Ice dragon Liquid ice drops. I recently picked it up and add just two drops to my aftershave splash in my hand before applying. Works quite well. I think the 2 oz bottle was $8.

I also tend to just apply some Fine snakebite prior to any splash without menthol. And then apply whatever I want on top.

I like cooling in any and every post shave product.

I've been using Stirling Frost Drops, a convenient additive. It depends on how cool you want your aftershave or soap to be, but it gives you the flexibility to do so.

I also enjoy using B&M Arctique and mixing it in my palm with any menthol-free aftershave. Arctique is my favorite and has the perfect amount of chill for me.

I also have menthol crystals and use an old (cleaned out :wink2:) pepper grinder and add directly to aftershave. I'll admit it took a bit of trial and error to determine the tolerable amount to add. To me, the crystals are more potent than the Frost Drops, which is to be expected. You don't need to shake much with the drops compared to the crystals. The crystals take longer to dissolve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom