What's new

Best "luxury" upper end double edge safety razors

Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone could provide some examples of nice razors that they like. I have used the Edwin Jagger DE89 for a while and am looking to upgrade.
Thanks

Luxury depends on the individual. A Rockwell 6S is a luxury in my book, and is $99. I know there are others that are over $200 such as the Above the Tie Atlas). The adjustable Gillette Slim I gave one of my sons last Christmas was a luxury for him, and it ran about $35 and was in excellent condition. It all depends on what you are looking for in a razor and how much you want to spend.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Thanks Chris . I guess anything below $150 for now. Not ready to jump up to the 200 range. Maybe I need to clarify my post..

Thanks Chris . I guess anything below $150 for now. Not ready to jump up to the 200 range. Maybe I need to clarify my post..
Exactly what Chris said. For me, if I was going to splurge it would be the Rockwell 6S for $100. Great reviews on build quality as well as efficiency and smoothness.

There are a decent amount of good de's for under $150. I can only speak for the ones I have owned or still have and still use on occasion.

1. Gillette Old Type/New = Excellent razors and you can get one in real good shape for about $35 or less.
2. Parker Variant = One of the best modern adjustables out there for under $60. What? That's right. Believe me, it's a steal. Feels good in the hands and oh so smooth.
3. Rockwell 6s = Nice S/S razor that cuts smoothly and efficiently. Very good heft and balance and it's adjustable via plate swap/exchange. In my experience it's not as aggressive as the other adjustable razors I have even with the most aggressive plate on. $100 and the packaging is real nice. Solid razor though.
4. Merkur Progress/Futur = $60 & $70 respectively. Both great razors. Progress is a little easier to maneuver in tight spots compared to the Futur. Both are smooth handled, but I've never had an issue with dropping them or slipping. Adjustable from mild to wild, blade alignment on Progress could be an issue. The top plate removal on the Futur can be a nuisance to some. Personally, I prefer the Futur over the Progress. Both awesome.
5. Gillette Slim/Fatboy/Black Beauty = $25 - $150 depending on condition. I have the Slim and it is just an excellent razor. Cuts with the best of them and it is just plain cool. Brass, class and more Brass. A keeper.
Sleeper = Merkur Vision. My favorite adjustable of all time. $150 if your lucky, but I have seen them go as high as $500 depending on condition. Yes, she's high maintenance, but damn she's sexy! It goes with me to my grave....
I'm sure there are more great razors that others can include and would prefer. I've just never experienced any others and I have a thing for adjustables. Hopefully more can chime in and just make your decision that much more difficult and fun!!!! :thumbsup:

Would agree with GlazedBoker's list but would take out the Futur and the Progress. Futur is too futuristic to be a great shaver and the Progress is bettered by the Variant.

I would add in the RR Wunderbar, but it is a slant, and my Sleeper would be the Oristo Sheen which is a clone of the RR Black Mamba.

A lot of the higher end stainless steel razors seem to run around the $185 mark.

Here are the three I'd want to look at:
Timeless
Wolfman
Above the Tie

Got Rockwell and Oristo SS razors - both are "luxury" for me. Oristo has a nice head - mild AND effective

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I'd add a vintage Gillette Aristocrat to the list, especially one of the rhodium plated models. They're good shavers, look stunning and have stood the test of time. They often go for big sums, but good examples can be found for under $150.

I'd add a vintage Gillette Aristocrat to the list, especially one of the rhodium plated models. They're good shavers, look stunning and have stood the test of time. They often go for big sums, but good examples can be found for under $150.
Yep. They're gorgeous. Got this one for 50 bucks :)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Mougrim, that is an amazing looking handle on that Aristocrat. Love it! ATT did the same one. I love knurled handles but that intrigues me.

I have used a Feather all-stainless which is very nice and extremely mild, and I just picked up a Timeless razor which is gorgeous. They're a bit over the $150 mark I think though.

Mougrim, that is an amazing looking handle on that Aristocrat. Love it! ATT did the same one. I love knurled handles but that intrigues me.
Yes, that knurling is great - and it inspired countless imitation in later manufacturers. I always had a soft spot for British Aristocrats, and, at last, got one this year.

Not sure if you like mild or aggressive shave, but everyone here like efficient shave and razor. You should try

1. Ikon Tech : you can buy head and use it with any handle

2. PAA DOC Evolution: either SS or Aluminus

3. RR baby smooth
4. BBS-1 if you get a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I only own one a Plisson Joris Palladium (engraved). It weighs in at over a hundred grams, is beautiful, and the way the Fatip head on it is refined makes it more aggressive yet smooth.
15740895_10211197524390404_5927092967762030747_n.jpg

You have the 'usual suspects' in this thread.

The main issue is that the definition of 'luxury' depends entirely on the individual and also what you are looking for. In my case, I am looking for something to use and enjoy on a daily basis. Since most razors will last longer than I will, these are true bargains (even SS) compared to many other options competing for my $ (cars, cruises, knives, boats, etc. etc.)

Since we're talking DE, my votes are for the RazoRock Wunderbar and the Feather AS-D2.
Those are the two "luxury" razors I own. Wouldn't recommend the AS-D2, but the Wunderbar, best razor I've ever used. I jumped on the oil can DLC when it came out because I couldn't wait any longer for the normal one. No regrets.

Top Bottom