What's new

Best "luxury" tier soap bases that are good value for money?

What is the best premium soap base ($20+) that is good value for money (shaves per dollar)?

• Total voters
Disclaimer: Stirling was intentionally left off this list because testimonials from people who have used a lot of the soaps on this list say that Stirling Mutton is just a tier below in at least one of the categories of post shave, residual slickness, and water band.

Tis the season of sales and I'm itching to make bad financial decisions. For soaps that are exceptional in post shave, residual slickness, and water band, which premium soap bases stretch your dollars farther than the rest? For example even though SV is near $50, is the soap's hardness and size at 5.3 ounces putting it at a significantly higher rate of # of shaves per dollar than the rest of the field? Is the fact that K2/K2e requiring a shorter load stretching its longevity out far enough that it is the most economical soap in terms of the # of shaves per dollar metric? Is there a fantastic soap base I'm leaving off that should be included?

Good list. For me Milksteak/Siero/Tallow&Steel base/Omnibus are my favourites in this category which each having their own quirks that I like. But I voted for Siero

Good list. For me Milksteak/Siero/Tallow&Steel base/Omnibus are my favourites in this category which each having their own quirks that I like. But I voted for Siero
If you don't mind, can you speak a little about the quirks you enjoy from each base?

Siero based on your qualifications. It's about 2 cents cheaper per shave than SV. It could go either way depending on the person. Some people load an enormous amount from every tub of artisan soap regardless of how much they need. In which case, Siero could be very expensive. SV, being a hard soap, is a bit more resistant to overloading. But, the problem I keep hearing is people don't know how to load it because they are used to tub soaps and get less than optimal results.

Siero based on your qualifications. It's about 2 cents cheaper per shave than SV. It could go either way depending on the person. Some people load an enormous amount from every tub of artisan soap regardless of how much they need. In which case, Siero could be very expensive. SV, being a hard soap, is a bit more resistant to overloading. But, the problem I keep hearing is people don't know how to load it because they are used to tub soaps and get less than optimal results.
I like to think I'm very regimented in my loading so I'm not too worried about using too much product. How much of a difference would the comparison be if the SV was $40 instead of $50?

I like to think I'm very regimented in my loading so I'm not too worried about using too much product. How much of a difference would the comparison be if the SV was $40 instead of $50?
That is actually what I am basing it on, $42. Some of the older ones are $35, so then they would be break even. Like Felce. One of the issues is shipping cost, I am stickler with accounting. I try to purchase enough to get free shipping and I always buy matching aftershave. Many of the Artisan soaps can't be had with free shipping unless you have a coupon. SV was running matching sets with bath soap for a really good price.

I read a little bit slower now. So, you need to ask whether you have dry, neutral or oily skin. I feel a lot of the artisan offerings with all the superfat aren't ideal for oily skin. SV is about neutral, trending dryish. DG has a sort of long lasting powdery hydrated feel that might suite oily skin well.

I read a little bit slower now. So, you need to ask whether you have dry, neutral or oily skin. I feel a lot of the artisan offerings with all the superfat aren't ideal for oily skin. SV is about neutral, trending dryish. DG has a sort of long lasting powdery hydrated feel that might suite oily skin well.
My skin is probably between dry and neutral. Definitely not oily.

Canada Shaving Soap.

It isn’t cheap at $30-35USD but the stuff is hard and lasts almost forever. A container is a big 175ml/6.17oz as well. Great performance but only comes in Unscented.
Wow that's a lot of soap! I'm going to check youtube and see what it looks like. Hope someone has a good video of what it looks like when it's well hydrated.

You might as well head over to Pasteur and see what kind of deal you can get on SV and actually follow their instructions for using the soap. I use 0.6 grams/shave averaged out over several shaves.

Wow that's a lot of soap! I'm going to check youtube and see what it looks like. Hope someone has a good video of what it looks like when it's well hydrated.
Apparently it is very very close to MdC. Same basic 4 ingredients.

Tallow free, but you’d never know it IMO. Lots of rave reviews on B&B…

Wow I knew MdC was expensive, but I didn't know that you get an insane amount of soap for the money! 7.1 ounces!
A little goes a long way. The running costs are pretty low with this one. There is also a smaller 50g size. I went that way to try out a few scents before committing to a big one.

I'm having trouble finding anything on youtube or any vendor for Canada Shaving Soap. Does it have a different name?

Top Bottom