What's new

Best live rock performance?

Don't forget Jim Morrison. Jefferson Airplane as well. I can barely remember that I saw the big acts back in the 60's.
Moody Blues were bliss and Pink Floyd took part of my brain the night they played Blossom Music Center.

In terms of polished and professional sound the two best concerts I ever attended were hardly 'rock.' Joni Mitchell when she was backed by Jaco Pastorius, Tom Scott and the LA Express in the mid 70s
I regret never seeing Jaco live but he died when I was 18.

As a lifelong bass player (some of it professionally), I am still completely mind boggled with Jaco’s playing. He had huge hands and much of his Weather Report stuff I can’t even play. Physically, I mean. My hands just can‘t do what his did. Hendrix was the same on guitar. That dude also had insanely large hands.

Jaco’s Joni work was excellent, but his Weather Report stuff was just nuts. Truly a virtuoso and arguably the best bassist of all time.

Watch Robert Trujillo’s (Metallica bassist) Jaco documentary if you haven’t. It is excellent. Robert owns Jaco’s “bass of doom” and is surprisingly also a great musician.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I regret never seeing Jaco live but he died when I was 18.

As a lifelong bass player (some of it professionally), I am still completely mind boggled with Jaco’s playing. He had huge hands and much of his Weather Report stuff I can’t even play. Physically, I mean. My hands just can‘t do what his did. Hendrix was the same on guitar. That dude also had insanely large hands.

Jaco’s Joni work was excellent, but his Weather Report stuff was just nuts. Truly a virtuoso and arguably the best bassist of all time.

Watch Robert Trujillo’s (Metallica bassist) Jaco documentary if you haven’t. It is excellent. Robert owns Jaco’s “bass of doom” and is surprisingly also a great musician.
I've only heard Weather Report on studio recordings. I owned Black Market and Heavy Weather when they first came out. No idea what happened to them.

I thought all Canadians were required to point out that Joni Mitchell was born in Alberta and raised in small towns in Saskatchewan if someone hasn't already said it. What's the matter with you?

Ever been to Maidstone, SK?

I've only heard Weather Report on studio recordings. I owned Black Market and Heavy Weather when they first came out. No idea what happened to them.

I thought all Canadians were required to point out that Joni Mitchell was born in Alberta and raised in small towns in Saskatchewan if someone hasn't already said it. What's the matter with you?

Ever been to Maidstone, SK?
Never been to Sask, period. Only Canadian province I haven’t visited. I did take the train from Vancouver to Toronto when I was young, but I don’t recall stopping as we passed thru SK.

Weather Report is done. Jaco is gone and Alphonse and Joe Z are also dead. Wayne Shorter is almost 90 surprisingly.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Red Hot Chili Peppers in Toronto late 80’s. A high octane smash fest in a nightclub. Wow, the boys had swagger and backed it up with skills.

Too many to name, but the following are some memorable shows for many different reasons. I have hundreds of ticket stubs that I will likely toss once I move again, but it is fun to look through them every few years. Seeing shows like YES for $8.50, ELO for $10.75, Jerry Garcia Band for $11.00, the Rolling Stones for $16.00, even the White Stripes for $23.00 seems like a bargain. Those really were the good old days!

IMG_7686.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Never been to Sask, period. Only Canadian province I haven’t visited. I did take the train from Vancouver to Toronto when I was young, but I don’t recall stopping as we passed thru SK.

Weather Report is done. Jaco is gone and Alphonse and Joe Z are also dead. Wayne Shorter is almost 90 surprisingly.
I'm sorry. I know Jaco is dead. I meant I don't remember what happened to the record albums. Poor writing.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Don't forget Jim Morrison. Jefferson Airplane as well. I can barely remember that I saw the big acts back in the 60's.
Moody Blues were bliss and Pink Floyd took part of my brain the night they played Blossom Music Center.
I’ve always been told that if someone says the remember the 60’s, they weren’t really there.

My first concert was Rush, moving pictures. That was pretty awesome as a first concert experience. Second was the Police, ghost in the machine. Again, awesome. Then U2, Romeo Void and the Alarm . Everything up to this point was awesome. Later in life, BB King, Grateful Dead, Santana. Also a couple Wavy Gravy Hog Farm Family Pic Nic concerts that I can hardly remember. 😉

Well, my first concert was a one-hit wonder band called Chase with the incredible trumpeter Bill Chase. They were like Chicago, BS&T or Electric Flag in style. I don't remember much being very young, except Chase's neck swelled immensely when playing.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I heard at Monterey music festival there was a heated debate on who would go first The Who or Hendrix. They both knew each others act and didn't want to be upstaged. I think Jimi won that one, everyone remembers him lighting his guitar on fire.
Actually, The Who won the coin toss and got to perform first. Both acts blew people's minds. I agree with you that Hendrix's set was more memorable, but maybe just because The Who would go on to have even better performances at Rock n Roll Circus, Isle of Wight, Leeds, etc.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have never been to any famous concerts. Bruce and the E-Street Band in both 84 and 05, you can never go wrong there. Reo Speedwagon was good in the early 80's when they still played a lot of rock and roll. Modern Alice Cooper is phenomenal, his voice is fantastic and his band kicks total ***.

Anywhere the Grateful Dead performed during May of 1977, they were all locked in with each other and harnessed lighting in 15 minute intervals. This is a prime example:

Top Bottom