What's new

Best Lined Notebooks

Good morning everyone,

I have been using the A5 Leuchtturm1917 for quite some time now, with no real complaints. I use one as a bullet planner and the other as a journal. I'm looking for something larger, though, because I find my hand, as well as my writing, getting cramped navigating the small pages. I feel that a full-size notebook would help my form and technique, at least a little. Preferably around 8.5X11, lined, and hardbound. Paperforfountainpens.com has a nice hardbound tomoe river paper notebook for $40, but it is not lined (though they do include guidesheets to place underneath the paged that show the lines through the paper). I don't dislike my current brand, but after trying tomoe river paper I cant see myself purchasing anything else to write on! What do you guys think? Does anyone else currently use a full-size lined notebook, if so what are you using? Thanks and best wishes!

I have used lined Rhodia and Clairfontaine large notebooks which work perfectly with all pen and ink combinations. Bought mine from Goulet Pens.

My main journal, however, is one of the larger Tomoe River notebooks from paperforfountainpens like you mentioned (liked the first one so much I bought a pack of three more). I don't like the guide sheets that came with the notebook so I printed my own on HP Laser 32# paper. Much better experience with a thicker guide sheet - YMMV though.

Since you know you love Tomoe River, stick with it. Life's too short to write on inferior paper hahaha

I've also purchased the loose-leaf Tomoe River and made my own notebooks. Once you use Tomoe River you never look back :)

Best of luck and do update us on your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I've recently become very fond of Apica notebooks. They feel great and I've had no problems with any of my pen/ink combos on it, thus far. Leuchtturm1917 does make notebooks that are right around your desirable size, though.

Black n Red notebooks come in both A4 and A5 sizes. Hardbound and wirebound.lined. Good paper and price. Available in Office Depot /Office Max.

Not as slick as say Rhodia.

Rhodia, Apica, Clairefontaine are all good quality.

If you want something a little cheap but still decent for fountain pens, I just picked up a Mead 5 Star notebook for a scratch pad. The outer leaf says, "resists ink bleed." Actually, it does. I does very well with fountain pen ink, especially for a cheap paper.

Coil bound reporter-stay Rhodia. Lays, flat, great paper easy to remove a page. Works in either orientation, too.

Top Bottom