What's new

Best Kitchen Knife set for a good price?

Hi I'm thinking of giving my Mom a nice kitchen knife set for Christmas and I was wondering what's a good brand? The one she has is so old and is missing a pairing knife lol!! So i'll need one that's good quality but doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

Thanks

to save some $$$ and get the most for your money, buy individual knives and reuse the old block.

For a non professional/home cook I would suggest

8" Chef's knife (or Santoku) for veggies

6" Filleting/boning knife

6" cleaver or a 8" Deba for cutting raw meat

A GOOD pair of kitchen sheers (for cutting birds)

5" paring knife

Optional: 12" meat carving knife (NOT a bread knife, carving knife)

this selection should cover any home kitchen need.

Brand is up to you but stick with a good name.

to save some $$$ and get the most for your money, buy individual knives and reuse the old block.

For a non professional/home cook I would suggest

8" Chef's knife (or Santoku) for veggies

6" Filleting/boning knife

6" cleaver or a 8" Deba for cutting raw meat

A GOOD pair of kitchen sheers (for cutting birds)

5" paring knife

Optional: 12" meat carving knife (NOT a bread knife, carving knife)

this selection should cover any home kitchen need.

Brand is up to you but stick with a good name.

This, though I like a 10" chef's knife.

I can highly recommend the Dexter (sometimes sold as Dexter-Russell) line as being a great value for the money. I think I gave about $250 for eight knives and a carving fork some years ago. Granted, inflation, but the recommendation above is for a smaller set, so it should work out somewhere in the right range.

Oh, and get a good sharpener and steel, and learn how to use both. The steel in particular--if you steel your knives every time you use them, you probably won't have to sharpen them but once or twice a year.

Check out the JA Henckles international Forged set. It is a forged vs stamped set and affordable. I prefer Japanese knives now but wehn I started in the business and during school I loved German knives. I bought my dad a set and they have held up well over the past 10 years or so.

To be honest with you, I'm not sure that $250 is really sufficient to buy a quality block set.

If I had to work within that budget, I'll buy a used block at the Salvation Army. Then, what happens is that most cooks only use a couple of knives the majority of the time. Buy those two...Shuns...more than likely this would be an 8" Chef Knife and a 4" pairer.

The rest of the set fill out with ceramics from Harbor Freight, and upgrade them one by one over the years if your finances allow for it.

Nah I'm not doing that. I think I just found the one I'll be getting for my Mom it's the international forged Premio 13-piece block set.

Victorinox always get the best ratings in comparisons by reliable resources like CooksIllustrated, and costs much less than Wustoff or Henkels sets. I really enjoy the Victorinox blades in my collection alongside the Wustoff, Henkels, Chicago I also have

Victorinox Forschner Swiss Classic 14-piece Walnut Swivel Knife Block Set.
Currently about $180 on Amazon.

Ouch turned me on to Tojiro DP Japanese knives in a thread a few weeks ago.

they are stainless, well made, well balanced, and reasonably priced for what you get.

http://www.tojiro-japan.com/products/227/

For every day use they are pretty nice.

I do have Henkels, Wustoff, and Sabatier in stainless and carbon in sizes that range from 12" down to 3" that I "play with" on a daily basis

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I agree with everybody who suggested buying just the knives you would use but I also understand this is for your mom. To keep things simple I really like the J.A. Henckels 10 PC set CostCo sells for about $200. It is Henckels international from Spain if I recall correctly and comes with a very nice chefs knife and a useful pair of kitchen scissors.

Top Bottom