What's new

Best jar salsa

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:cuppa: Sure, fresh is probably better. But a lot of them are local-local. And some, such as Walmart's, aren't very good.

So I've been trying different small-maker jarred salsas. Chips are a whole 'nother thread! :001_302:

But to the point. Last night I finished a very good Kylito's smoked-pepper salsa, and opened a Mrs. Renfroe's .... Ghost Pepper Salsa.

:eek2: After a few chips, I took another look at the label. Yeah, I choose "hot;" I grow vicious Datil peppers. Endorphin junkie.

But the label said "2x Hot" ... I couldn't stop sneezing/runny nose.

Ok. They got me. Going to have to mix that one with a jar of "mild."

What's your brand of jar-salsa poison? Widely distributed, so we can all try it.

Don't tell me "Pace." ("NEW YORK CITY!" Though these days, there probably are excellent salsas outside of Texas ...)

Many thanks.

AA

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If you’re a fan of green salsas these two are good. I enjoyed the “Hot” version of both of them but my wife and kids did not. The Medium is at the limits of what they will eat.
D3D4CB22-09A3-41CB-9C24-E52E804BD24D.jpeg

I think I have tried every brand Walmart sells, in the past few years, both mild and medium heat. Sorry AA, I keep going back to Pace.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I like Mrs. Renfro’s. Made in Texas and quality stuff. They have many flavors, but I especially love their green and habanero salsas.

Just gave the wife one dipped chip and she almost choked... But now I've got half of the Renfro Ghost Pepper jar killed. 🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If you ever get to the Ft.Worth area go to one of Mexican Inn Cafe restaurants. Salsa is served warm with chips that are fresh and almost like Fritos. Back story of the restaurant is interesting as well. It involves a gangsters, gambling, and a trained mule.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you ever get to the Ft.Worth area go to one of Mexican Inn Cafe restaurants. Salsa is served warm with chips that fresh and almost like Fritos. Back story of the restaurant is interesting as well. It involves a gangsters, gambling, and a trained mule.
Been to the one in Hurst or Bedford a few times.

I’m from Texas. Born in Texas. Pace picante sauce sucks. Don’t care if it’s made in San Antonio.

….Oh yeah, we had a few jars but not very many jars. It taste like salt and tomato juice. Blah
No offense, Doc, but Pace didn't get to be where it is today by being sorry stuff, did it? Peoples' tastes vary like the weather. Yours and mine differ, no biggie--is what it is. FWIW, I make my own salsa also, and it rocks according to family and friends. Prefer it with chips to Pace, but Pace goes on the usual things here, tacos, burritos, Mexican rice, eggs, to name a few. I have tried probably two dozen different salsas and picantes from stores, nothing has jumped out at me worth buying again. Guess I am set in my ways.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I’m from Texas. Born in Texas. Pace picante sauce sucks. Don’t care if it’s made in San Antonio.

….Oh yeah, we had a few jars but not very many jars. It taste like salt and tomato juice. Blah

I live in rural New York and choices are limited. Pace is about the best we can do.

Top Bottom