What's new

Best Inexpensive Cream - IYHO

JM Fraser's is the best budget cream I've ever used, but sadly it has recently been discontinued, a victim of Covid.
I was at TBBS' Bay and Dundas store on Monday and did ask about their cream because I didn't see it on the shelf. Apparently the chemist that was making Fraser's for TBBS wanted a larger minimum order than the owners were willing to commit to and so it has been discontinued sadly. They have also trimmed the line of Booster aftershave products as well.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I tried my proraso red this morning for the first time.

This is my first time trying proraso in probably 10 years. The only thing I had used previously was the original green.

I expected to be underwhelmed, but honestly, the performance of this cream was solid on all fronts. While it definitely was not as terrific as Speick active, it performed admirably on all counts.

Compared to La Toja, it didn't burn as much when I washed it off, but it had slightly less slickness and residual slickness. Makes me want to try the Proraso barber's line.

Speick is still the solid front runner, but the tube is so much smaller that I wonder how much it will cost if I use it as my mainstay. I have very high hopes for Palmolive.

Speick is still the solid front runner, but the tube is so much smaller that I wonder how much it will cost if I use it as my mainstay. I have very high hopes for Palmolive.
Palmolive is right up there with my love for Speick. It performs nearly the same for me. I imagine you will probably enjoy it as well and it is definitely a little more economical.

Ooooo I just have to ask. What are the differences you see?
Differences? Hmm. You can definitely get more bang for your buck with the Palmolive if you buy in bulk. Both scents are great, but completely different. Speick has that more sophisticated, lavender-ish smell, and Palmolive has a more clean and fresh scent. Speick wins in the cushion/glide department, but Palmolive still works great for me. Both work up a tremendous lather with ease. If it matters to you, I face lather full-time.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Differences? Hmm. You can definitely get more bang for your buck with the Palmolive if you buy in bulk. Both scents are great, but completely different. Speick has that more sophisticated, lavender-ish smell, and Palmolive has a more clean and fresh scent. Speick wins in the cushion/glide department, but Palmolive still works great for me. Both work up a tremendous lather with ease. If it matters to you, I face lather full-time.
I was searching for Lea and stumbled across Palmolive classic for $7 thinking it’s worth a try.

Barbers in Europe used Palmolive shaving cream/stick, while Nivea shaving cream is not used by the barbers due to costs.
Old Spice or Gillette shaving cream is inexpensive.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Update!

I took my first day off from shaving yesterday. I had noticed that Proraso was shaving me less close than either La Toja or Speick Active. I wanted to control for all variables possible, so I gave my skin a break of a day to see if that could be a factor.

No surprises, it wasn't. The shave this morning using proraso was good, not great. Definitely a tier or two below La Toja and Speick Active. At this point the only thing that remains is validating this finding by using Speick Active tomorrow morning.

If, as I expect and hope, it performs beautifully, then my A-B testing will have relegated proraso to the bottom of my list and the back of my drawer.

I will then be able to test the highly anticipated Palmolive.

The nivea creams are fantastic I recently purchased a few on sale for about $3 cad per 100ml. Gets you twice as much cream as proraso for about the same price & performance is very similar.
Nivea cream, in Spain it costs 2 - 2.10 euros in stores , aprox. 3 CAD,

but in Perfumerias Primor its price is 1.39 euros !!! ( 1.99 CAD)

Attachments

• 16356959687624671270105127261576.jpg
    16356959687624671270105127261576.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 17
Nivea cream, in Spain it costs 2 - 2.10 euros in stores , aprox. 3 CAD,

but in Perfumerias Primor its price is 1.39 euros !!! ( 1.99 CAD)

Such a good cream $2 seems like a nice deal!

If you are not after artisan scents and formulas these drugstore/barber soaps deliver tremendous value and performance.

I just looked up Palmolive on my local AZ Site —> 96 Eurocent/100ml tube

Also I’m working myself through a barber size tube of Vitos Tabacco 5.99 for 500ml :eek2:
Yeah I imagine i would like palmolive if it was available locally to me, and my my that is one monster tube of cream!
I didn't even know they sold tubes that big, seems like a great value.

Yeah I imagine i would like palmolive if it was available locally to me, and my my that is one monster tube of cream!
I didn't even know they sold tubes that big, seems like a great value.
Proraso has the Green in 500ml and Vitos has Tabacco and Eucalyptus.
For the hardcore enthusiasts there are also the Italian 1 kilo bricks (TFS, Cella, 3P, Vitos) but they are too much for me and my consumption rate.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have now put the Palmolive Classic (Red) through the ringer, and come away with surprising results.

I was expecting it to tie or even beat Speick Active for first place. It smells wonderful, and feels great on my face. But when all is said and done, it just cannot shave me as close as any of the others I have tried - Speick Active, La Toja, and even the humble Proraso all beat it in terms of closeness. I did rigorous A-B-A testing, comparing it to Speick Active. In terms of protection I would say that it is about as good as La Toja, but in terms of closeness, Palmolive can't even get me to BBS.

I am proceeding slowly. I'll decide what to try next tonight!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Further insight from A-B testing.

After using Speick Active and Proraso, I revisited La Toja to make sure that my results were sound and repeatable. Surprisingly, Proraso Red handily beats La Toja for skin protection and comfort. La Toja really hurts quite a bit when washing off. Proraso really has excellent skin conditioning, especially for the price point and volume of product.

Couto smells wonderful but is garbage when it comes to lathering. Doesn't generate any lather whatsoever.

La Toja stick is one of the better products I have had the pleasure of using. Rub it on for 30 seconds, and agitate/hydrate until I have something like DSP. There is not nearly the volume of lather, but don't let appearance fool you. Amazingly comfortable shave. No pain whatsoever when washing off. At this point after one use I'd rank it only slightly behind Speick Active, which has very slightly better skin conditioning (I think). Will A-B test to confirm. I could happily use these two for the rest of my life.

One question for you: is Proraso Single Blade better than the standard Proraso? I may have to purchase that at some point in the future.

Further insight from A-B testing.

After using Speick Active and Proraso, I revisited La Toja to make sure that my results were sound and repeatable. Surprisingly, Proraso Red handily beats La Toja for skin protection and comfort. La Toja really hurts quite a bit when washing off. Proraso really has excellent skin conditioning, especially for the price point and volume of product.

Couto smells wonderful but is garbage when it comes to lathering. Doesn't generate any lather whatsoever.

La Toja stick is one of the better products I have had the pleasure of using. Rub it on for 30 seconds, and agitate/hydrate until I have something like DSP. There is not nearly the volume of lather, but don't let appearance fool you. Amazingly comfortable shave. No pain whatsoever when washing off. At this point after one use I'd rank it only slightly behind Speick Active, which has very slightly better skin conditioning (I think). Will A-B test to confirm. I could happily use these two for the rest of my life.

One question for you: is Proraso Single Blade better than the standard Proraso? I may have to purchase that at some point in the future.
Couto is brushless afaik. Proraso SE comes a bit thicker out of the tube than green and red. I didn’t care for the scent of Azur lime but Vetyver is nice. Performance was good but I like the regular stuff as well and have not such a scientific approach as you.

Top Bottom