What's new

Best inexpensive coffee grinder??

Seriously...for small batches, wouldn't something like this do just fine.
proxy.php
May seem like roughing it, but when it comes down to controlling the quality of the grind...???

I actually use a cheap Bodum blade grinder. I flip between the big Bunn commercial pot and my Bodum french press at the office. (Depends on my morning laziness factor :biggrin1:.) Actually works great with both; Don't seem to get any loose grounds in the press either.

I usually just pulse the button and tap it a bit (and give it a shorter go if I am using the press.)

It's not ideal, but great for a cheap grinder to keep at the office.

Seriously...for small batches, wouldn't something like this do just fine.
proxy.php
May seem like roughing it, but when it comes down to controlling the quality of the grind...???

Good coffee grinders don't "grind" in that sense. The burrs have lots of razor-sharp edges. The coffee is literally "shaved" down in size. It's cut. Part of the mark of a good grinder is how little heat is produced by grinding. (heat is one of coffee's enemies)

Still, though. Just like the hammer, it beats pre-ground. The heal of your boot is better than pre-ground.

You could look into getting a Krups soft touch coffee grinder. Macy's and other places have it for sale. Grinds Coffee nice for my stove top percolator.

Cheers.

Good coffee grinders don't "grind" in that sense. The burrs have lots of razor-sharp edges. The coffee is literally "shaved" down in size. It's cut. Part of the mark of a good grinder is how little heat is produced by grinding. (heat is one of coffee's enemies)

Still, though. Just like the hammer, it beats pre-ground. The heal of your boot is better than pre-ground.

Not entirely true; both wheel and conical burr grinders crack the roasted beans down to size. Shaving would produce dust, which is not desirable (particularly to coarse grind situations). Go with a conical burr grinder - anything less is, well, less.

I've had the cheapo Cuisinart mentioned here (a wheel burr), and what you end up with is a fair bit of dust to go with your grounds. I now have a Breville conical burr grinder which retails for about $100 and it's the best grinder I've used for the money. The refurb'd Baratza is very comparable to the Breville I have, and produces consistently good grounds.

Go with a conical burr grinder - anything less is, well, less.
That's a broad brush to paint with. My Mazzer Super Jolly is a flat burr and I'd put it up against any cheap conical burr grinder such as the Breville. Not all conicals are equivalent. Not all flats are equivalent either.

But if you want to use a french press its much more important to have a nice consistent grind so your not swallowing coffee grinds in the second half of your cup:)
It's also important so you're not overextracting due to the finer grinds.

Last edited:
That's a broad brush to paint with. My Mazzer Super Jolly is a flat burr and I'd put it up against any cheap conical burr grinder such as the Breville. Not all conicals are equivalent. Not all flats are equivalent either.

And I could by 7 Breville's with the money it takes to buy a Mazzer Super Jolly. I can't think of a single wheel burr grinder in the home use space that's anywhere close to a Mazzer.

I'm not an espresso guy and ive been pretty happy with my Braun blade grinder for nearly 10 years so forgive me if I sound a bit ignorant on the topic. What does a $700+ Mazzer grinder do that can't be accomplished with a $100 Baratza Maestro? It seems like a Ferrari compared to a Corvette, similar performance but the Ferrari give you that prestige of owning a handmade talian sports car.

I'm not an espresso guy and ive been pretty happy with my Braun blade grinder for nearly 10 years so forgive me if I sound a bit ignorant on the topic. What does a $700+ Mazzer grinder do that can't be accomplished with a $100 Baratza Maestro? It seems like a Ferrari compared to a Corvette, similar performance but the Ferrari give you that prestige of owning a handmade talian sports car.

Precision is everything.

Top Bottom