What's new

Best horse brush for face lathering

I am curious to try a shaving brush made of horse hair someday. Is this hair type suitable for face lathering? Is there an efficient model adapted to this technique? I guess the best brand for such an experience is Vie-Long. I am all opened to your astute recommendations, gentlemen.

Most of the horsehair brushes are 35% mane and 65% tail. And that's the only ratio in the brushes I've used.
They're scritchy, though they do soften up over time.

I have a special edition "JL Petree" Vie Long. It has a Simpsons-Rover type handle which I love. Plenty of backbone for face-lathering, but, as I said, some scritch (which I find a bit annoying on the face, myself). I don't know if a 50%-tail, 50%-mane knot would be better in re "scritch". I think it should be, given that mane hair is softer, but it only takes the occasional "prickly" hair to annoy.

All that said, my brush has softened a bit over time, and I do like it. I just don't like it as much as I wish I did -- I prefer badger and synthetics. I've almost bought a 50-50 horsehair knot to compare a few times, but... I really don't need another brush.

There isn't any particular model that is really better than the others for face-lathering. Most of the Vie-Long ones will work very well.
Good luck.

There isn't any particular model that is really better than the others for face-lathering. Most of the Vie-Long ones will work very well.
Good luck.

+1. I have the 13052, which, I think, is 50/50 mane to tail. It started very scritchy but has really softened up. It does well with soaps or creams, bowl or face lather, and is one fine little brush. I highly recommend the Vie-Long.

They do have an aroma that can only be described as smelling like a stable. It goes away after a half dozen shaves. I wouldn't let that discourage you from trying one but you should be aware of that quality.

I have a Vie-Long 12705B which is has white hair, 50/50 mane/tail. Is is very flat and I would regard it as a great brush for face lathering - just a tiny bit of scritch...

I have a Vie-Long brush coming, that Juan at Gifts & Care is special ordering for me. It's a 13066B which has a 50/50 unbleached white horse hair knot, but instead of having a bulb shape, I've ordered it with a fan shaped knot with the loft set at 48mm. From what I understand, white horse hair is softer and has less scritch than brown horse hair. I wish I already had it so that I could report on it's performance, but with that being said, I have high expectations for it to be an excellent face latherer.

I get good face lather with the Vie-Long 50-50 19mm Barber Pro "Extra" brush,although it takes a little longer,and the technique is more involved.For quick,efficient lathering try a 50-50 horse knot at either 23 or 24mm,these horse hair knots don't come fully packed (dense) like silvertips,the hair is different.If you get a shorter loft you will get more exfoliation,if that's what you are looking for,but the face feel will not be as soft.

I just tried my Vie-Long 12750 (35M/65T) for the first time today. I used it for a bowl lather but I think it would be ideally suited for a face lather and I will try that next time. Not that much scritch but enough backbone.

I get good face lather with the Vie-Long 50-50 19mm Barber Pro "Extra" brush,although it takes a little longer,and the technique is more involved.For quick,efficient lathering try a 50-50 horse knot at either 23 or 24mm,these horse hair knots don't come fully packed (dense) like silvertips,the hair is different.If you get a shorter loft you will get more exfoliation,if that's what you are looking for,but the face feel will not be as soft.
By experience, I do not like that much a long big tuft on my face (when face lathering, with bowl lathering it is OK). This is why I am currently interested in shorter lofts, though I do not own any really short loft/big knot brush therefore I am not even sure it will work well for me. The horse hair is more of a curiosity, since I never tried it but I am willing to. And exfoliation property is fine with me.

I received my Vie-Long 13066B horse brush!

Sorry in advance for the bad pictures: I have a low end camera and the sky is cloudy today, I did not manage to get a decently bright room. I included the infamous Turkish #6 purchased earlier this month as a comparison.

$IMG_0776.jpg

From left to right:

Vie-Long 13066B
Brown-mahogany ergonomic handle with a fan-shaped head
Natural white horse bristle
Hair mix: 50% mane 50% tail
Knot: 24 mm
Loft: 48 mm

Turkish #6
Wooden handle with a fan-shaped head
Claimed horse hair, presumed boar hair (honestly I cannot tell, I own no boar brush)
Knot: 25 mm
Loft: 50 mm

Both are pre-bloom.
The overall finish on Turkish #6 is so cheesy: both hair and handle provide a rough touch, the cut on the knot head is irregular (not evident in the picture because of the camera angle). On the other hand, whereas Turkish #6 seems to be made haphazardly, the Vie-Long 13066B craftsmanship is just perfect: the handle is handsome (its shape has a kind of B&B Essential Boar vibe) and the hair is much softer than its Oriental counterpart. The quality does not compare here, but fundamentally you get what you pay (€27.75 vs. $2.65).

$IMG_0780.jpg

As you can figure out, Vie-Long 13066B (left) has got a much denser knot than Turkish #6 (right).

For my next shaves, I will use them in turns to go deeper in the comparison.

The Vie-Long with the natural white 50/50 knot is the only horse brush that has stayed in my rotation. I have the 13061B from Giftsandcare.com with custom loft.

I had my loft set at 50 mm and this brings the loft to a very nice backbone. The tips are soft, very soft, almost on par with a synthetic. As a matter of fact I use the brush like a synthetic, only tips are at play. The brush holds water much more than a synth though.

I did the same loft customization but asked for 48 mm instead of 50! My knot is also a 24 mm.

Turkish #6

Claimed horse hair, presumed boar hair (honestly I cannot tell, I own no boar brush)

Boar, ι think you presume right !
Soon i will test it and i have a dozen of Boars,let's then see the similarities.

the cut on the knot head is irregular (not evident in the picture because of the camera angle).

This is not from the camera,it's the true !
Plus some of them have poor craftsmanship handle and over-flue glue problems.
Common with many turkish BOAR brushes,enjoy it is good for face lathering but can not reach the standards of other BOAR brushes as Omega,Semogue,TGN.

With a better camera angle, the irregular knot cut of Turkish #6 is more obvious. I really do not care, I am not expecting much of it!

I have the 13066B with the 24mm 48mm measurements. I only face lather, and it's an excellent brush. Kudos to Folace and ScIrish - you guys are in for some nice shaves.

I have a Vie-Long 13061b, which is a 50:50 mane/tail mix with a particularly beautiful handle. I've only ever used it for face lathering, and it's terrific. That being said, I think any of the horse brushes will be great face latherers. You just can't press too hard against your face; if you use just the tips, they'll produce a great lather with nice backbone and good feel on your face. Get whichever of the Vie-Longs whose handle appeals to you, and you won't be sorry.

With a better camera angle, the irregular knot cut of Turkish #6 is more obvious. I really do not care, I am not expecting much of it!

Same happens to me with my other 2 turkish Boars.
Both knots have inclination,still in 2014 some manufacturers there can not glue proper a knot
While lathering can not feel it but can not hide in the photos.

Hey compadres, what is the best Vie-Long handle according to you? In ergonomic terms. The 13061 one looks quite tempting.

I have a 13066B white horsehair 50/50 mix, set at default height and shape. The handle is great, handles with a skinny waist just fit my hand better than anything else. This knot is great, I like it as much as my two band TGN badger - actually a little better I think, I face lather only.It took a good while to get rid of the funk though...

Top Bottom