What's new

Best Gillette Tech

I believe this is a big part of our hobby. And I think it’s okay. It’s what fuels a lot of us. That myth that this or that might be the magic thing. And it’s okay to not buy into any of that. Lots of people on here are like you and just want a great shave. Fair enough. But likewise some of us enjoy the urban legends and myths, and the hope that one rare razor is going to bring the amazing shave experience.

One personal example for me is the Pyscho Tech. It’s just a run of the mill Tech, but with an uber-light hollow handle when the key is removed. I hate hollow lightweight handles. The heavier the better. But there is something about shaving with the Psycho Tech that does it for me. Can’t explain it. It’s the mojo baby!

Like I said, I have no problem if people believe that some razors are magical and what not. Everyone has a right to think and say whatever he wants, but the issue here is that when someone has a different opinion on some of the topics, he gets attacked and mocked and often called a hater or that he's jealous for whatever reason. I have no problem if people disagree with me, but I don't like when someone is imposing his opinions, believes or points of view on me, regardless of the topic.

I have used most of the techs with the notable exception of the Hybrid (RFB) Tech and the German 34. I have three favorites, the Flat Bottom Tech, English NDC Ball-end and the Canadian Pre-War. I keep two of these in the rotation.

The other techs are very good but these are a step above for me.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have no problem if people disagree with me, but I don't like when someone is imposing his opinions, believes or points of view on me, regardless of the topic.
I wasn’t attacking you. I simply pointed out that you were commenting on a razor you have never tried.

I so need a Hybrid Tech. (So far, my unicorn search has been unsuccessful. :crying:)
Everybody needs a Hybrid Tech and a 2011 R41. I fear both will turn out to be very overpriced and slightly disappointing compared to the hype. I've seen both for sale recently at over £1,000 and that's far more than I'm prepared to pay for a used razor.

I wasn’t attacking you. I simply pointed out that you were commenting on a razor you have never tried.

True, but there are plenty of people who have or had a Hybrid and they don't share your views and some of them even try to explain why using measurements of the base plate and the top cap and compare it to other razors like the RFB, FB Tech, FB NEW etc. which is why I said that the claim - ''you haven't used that razor'' isn't a solid argument and probably the only reason why we're having this discussion in first place.

Sooner or later I will get one, but somehow I feel like I already know the answer before even using it like it happened before with other razors, which others called unique and special shavers and the funny thing was that they also used the same argument.

Everybody needs a Hybrid Tech and a 2011 R41. I fear both will turn out to be very overpriced and slightly disappointing compared to the hype.
I didn't believe the hype either... till I got an RFB.

In my experience, the RFB is miles better than the NEW LC. My favorite OC has always been the Fatip. Now the RFB stands easily at the Number One spot, above all my OC razors.

Considering that my FB Tech is my current favorite SB razor, and what I've mentioned above... that's why I want a Hybrid Tech.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Like I said, I have no problem if people believe that some razors are magical and what not. Everyone has a right to think and say whatever he wants, but the issue here is that when someone has a different opinion on some of the topics, he gets attacked and mocked and often called a hater or that he's jealous for whatever reason. I have no problem if people disagree with me, but I don't like when someone is imposing his opinions, believes or points of view on me, regardless of the topic.
Nobody is attacking or mocking you — you’ve expressed this opinion about the Hybrid Tech in multiple threads over the past couple of years and you’re welcome to your opinion.

I have personally never seen anyone (who has actually used one) denigrate the Hybrid Tech. It is universally loved by all who possess one. You really owe it to yourself to find one. It shaves ‘like buttah.’

G

Guest2023

Again with the - bUT YoU hAVen't UsEd tHAT rAzor ''logic''. You can't make that $hit up lol.

I've used many razors that people call ''magical'' or very different compared to others with similar heads and I found that to be false. People claim that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen British Aristocrats are very different and I have all of them and in my opinion the difference is barely noticeable and they are not very different than say a Rocket HD or Parat. Same goes for the RFB compared to the NEW LC - ''omigosh they are super different and the RFB is amazing'', sureeeee whatevaaaa.

At some point I will get my hands on a Hybrid just to point out the whole crap that some members spread around by claiming that the ''rarest'' vintage razors are much better compared to the more common ones.

I'm surprised that you didn't notice the different feeling of Gillette 2nd, 3rd, 4th Aristocrat. I agree they are not magical by any means. but they shave differently, especially 4th Aristocrat. I might not pass the blind test between 2nd and 3rd Aristocrat. but I'm sure I can detect 4th gen. in the blind test. I also agree 4th gen. shaves identically with Rocket and Rocket flare tip.(I think this is uncontested and widely accepted view.)

in my experience Hybrid Tech and RFB shaves more similarly than FB. Hybrid Tech shaves smoother but RFB is more effective.

I don't get the last comment you'd posted. I've yet to see anyone claming rarest shaves better. There are tons of rarer razors than Hybrid Tech, British Aristocrat and RFB.(and many razors exist that shave equally good or better.) but in the similar context, I've seen many members who claim more expensive razors shave better than more economical ones especially when talking about modern razors.

I'm surprised that you didn't notice the different feeling of Gillette 2nd, 3rd, 4th Aristocrat. I agree they are not magical by any means. but they shave differently, especially 4th Aristocrat. I might not pass the blind test between 2nd and 3rd Aristocrat. but I'm sure I can detect 4th gen. in the blind test. I also agree 4th gen. shaves identically with Rocket and Rocket flare tip.(I think this is uncontested and widely accepted view.)

in my experience Hybrid Tech and RFB shaves more similarly than FB. Hybrid Tech shaves smoother but RFB is more effective.

I don't get the last comment you'd posted. I've yet to see anyone claming rarest shaves better. There are tons of rarer razors than Hybrid Tech, British Aristocrat and RFB.(and many razors exist that shave equally good or better.) but in the similar context, I've seen many members who claim more expensive razors shave better than more economical ones especially when talking about modern razors.

I didn't say that there's absolutely no difference at all, but the difference for me at least is very small and the only thing that could give it away if do a blind test is the slightly difference in the weight as well as the different knurling on the handles.

I also call most razors ''rare'', because I don't agree that they are truly rare at all like some folks do. I'm talking about the Aristocrat series, 2-3 piece RFB's, most Toggles etc. Are they as common as say Super Speeds, Slims and Techs? Of course not. Does that make them rare and very hard to find? Not really, you can go on Ebay and Etsy any time you want and you will ALWAYS find some for sale. For me, they are uncommon, but not rare. The Hybrid Tech, Bottom Dial, Red Dot Fatboy Anglo-American Aristocrat, Techmatic DE razor for instance are rare, since you don't see them every day and not a lot of people own them.

And yes, there are lots of people who claim that the rare razors shave better. I've been caught in a lot of debates here and another places and when I think about it now it's mostly with the same people (odd isn't it?). There are also folks who claim that the Toggle is the best adjustable made by Gillette, which i'm not even going to comment. You have to spend some time reading some of these threads and you will notice the pattern i'm talking about.

Also, to clarify one thing, since i'm sure that people are taking it out of context to build their strawman argument against me, since that's the only thing they can say. What I ment by - ''you haven't used that razor'' is not a good argument is that there are quite a few similar models made by Gillette around the same time period like the RFB, FB Tech and FB NEW, which are not 100% the same, but I don't expect the difference between them and the Hybrid to be huge like when comparing the Fatip Grande and the Merkur 34C for instance.

The modern and expensive razors is a whole another topic and I really have no opinion about them, since I haven't used anything that can be considered expensive and I just have doubts but no data or anything to back them up. The main thing is to enjoy and use what you like and not really think why others like something or think that it's better compared to something else, since more often than not logic doesn't apply here and you end up with such meaningless debates and you have to explain yourself like you do with the FBI.

Very nice, especially for something around 80 years old. Compared to that one, mine looks like it went through the war!
Unlike my EFB Tech, which has been re-plated and lost it's original handle, this one has apparently never been used. I'm not too fussed about originality, so long as it's shiny.

While I wait for my prewar triangle slot Tech to wing its way across the pond I acquired this 1960's aluminium handle travel Tech. I've also ordered a brand new Gillette Super Blue from China and a Gillette 7 O' Clock Sterling from India. I can't wait to see how they all compare.

Screenshot_20220212-163058_eBay.jpg

It is probably no secret that I am one of the ones hyping the Hybrid Tech the most. The smoothest razor I ever used. The only other razor that to me comes close is the Aristocrat 4th generation. And the HT has such a luxurious sense of rhodium shine and solid weight.

Still, of late I find myself debating - which razor gives me the deepest sense of pleasure…?

Because even as the HT shaves better than the standard post-war Tech, I find myself using my standard Tech much more - as in at least 3 times a week. I just really really love the shave along with the intangible sense of simplicity - that this is an awesome simple razor that costs next to nothing but just is PERFECT, built like a tank but lightweight and unpresumingly modest and humble.

My beloved is a perfect original condition made in UK 1950 Tech model with hollow fat handle, made specifically for the French market. And I don’t even have the case for it.

Whenever I then want to go for the HT I most often take the Aristocrat 4th gen to get the added niceness of the TTO function.

Ultimately, switching between a number of razors is the best!

Happy shaves, all.

A3135FE7-65A8-4044-B23F-A284E2F6BD53.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom