What's new

Best Gillette Tech

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My all-time favourite, shave-wise, is my NOS 1970s Gillette Ball End Tech Aluminum. :001_wub:

20211121_121837.jpg

With the exception of the aluminum versions I’d say any of them are the best (bit of a cop out I know). But if I had to pick just one it would be a contract tech with the ball end handle
Ha me too. I always liked the ball end tech and the fullers on the contract just make it look nice. I have a prewar tech that i like quite a bit as well

how did you identify it as all brass? is there a visual indicator?
Well this style of Tech with the herringbone pattern handle are either aluminum or brass. Most have aluminum handles. If you've ever seen an Aluminum Tech it would be very obvious. Many of the razor caps have an imprinted "Gillette". My razor cap it's etched. Also the weight (and feel of the handle) is obvious as my razor is 61 + grams.
1963 Tech England.jpg

Last edited:
Well this style of Tech with the herringbone pattern handle are either aluminum or brass. Most have aluminum handles. If you've ever seen an Aluminum Tech it would be very obvious. Many of the razor caps have an imprinted "Gillette". My razor cap it's etched. Also the weight (and feel of the handle) is obvious as my razor is 61 + grams.
View attachment 1404376
thanks for the info. I can see the etching is different than most. I'm in the us and haven't ever had the chance to hold the British aluminum tech. Now I see yours weighs in at 61g vs the 31g for the aluminum that should be fairly easy to spot in person since it is double the weight. Do you know if the blue case is typical of the all brass version? Hoping for as many visual cues to help me pick one of these out of the herd of other techs.

First let me say I'm not an expert this is just my take based on alot of net time. Its hard to say about the case since Gillette is notorious for using up all stock which resulted in many mixed sets of all types. However I suspect that the blue case was used for all the Techs of that type not just the brass ones. The truth is I've been collecting razors, reading and shopping for them on a near full time basis for quite a few years (im retired) and I've never seen another brass tech like mine. I just got lucky in my net travels. The etching on the cap I've seen a few other times (the "Gillette" without the diamond) so I supect the brass ones made are far and few. I've got quite a few other British Gillettes in my collection so I'm in that area alot - I love the Brit razors. Most of them I snagged from the UK and outside the states. Heres one example of a hard to find one - Traveler Deluxe Set. Anyway for what its worth. Regards Pat

IMG_4697 BB.JPG

First let me say I'm not an expert this is just my take based on alot of net time. Its hard to say about the case since Gillette is notorious for using up all stock which resulted in many mixed sets of all types. However I suspect that the blue case was used for all the Techs of that type not just the brass ones. The truth is I've been collecting razors, reading and shopping for them on a near full time basis for quite a few years (im retired) and I've never seen another brass tech like mine. I just got lucky in my net travels. The etching on the cap I've seen a few other times (the "Gillette" without the diamond) so I supect the brass ones made are far and few. I've got quite a few other British Gillettes in my collection so I'm in that area alot - I love the Brit razors. Most of them I snagged from the UK and outside the states. Heres one example of a hard to find one - Traveler Deluxe Set. Anyway for what its worth. Regards Pat

View attachment 1404402
thanks for taking the time reply pat. That looks like a nice set too.

Idk what you guys are talking about...
Aluminum tech comes in at 31.6 grams, brass is 37 grams.
If you don't have them together to handle, the ball end is a good indicator that it is brass.

Attachments

• 1643986950329214582031676307513.jpg
    1643986950329214582031676307513.jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 16439870914062463811914667408510.jpg
    16439870914062463811914667408510.jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I have an old Tech head on a Rockwell handle. Does that count?
The Rockwell was the first generation one that had quality issues with the head so I dumped the head and had the handle just sitting there for a long time doing nothing.
the Tech head is great. Pair it with a very keen blade like a Feather and you have a very good razor.

I have an old Tech head on a Rockwell handle. Does that count?
The Rockwell was the first generation one that had quality issues with the head so I dumped the head and had the handle just sitting there for a long time doing nothing.
the Tech head is great. Pair it with a very keen blade like a Feather and you have a very good razor.
You just can't beat a tech. I've got about 100 vintage Gillette's, and love them all for various reasons. If I'm in a rush I grab a tech every time.

Top Bottom