All Brass Brit Tech
1960's all Brass Tech.jpg

techs.jpg

Left to right-
Gold pre-war fat handle
'73 (I think? Looked it up a long time ago) U.K. Spiral Tech
'79 U.K. Spiral Tech

Got them all NOS.

The fat handle Tech travels with me because I never nick myself with it and I feel confident not having to pack a styptic or too much post-shave stuff. I've used the middle one a handful of times and it's a good shaver but I think the '79 seriously takes the cake in my small collection. It's surprisingly efficient. I always seem to get a weeper or 2 with it no matter how hard I try and I get a little bit of neck irritation in my trouble spot but it's a lot of fun to use. Using a heavier handle seems to help. I always thought those later spiral Techs need more praise. If I were to sell most of my collection I'd hold onto my Old Type and that particular '79 Tech.

Cal, where do you live?
In the UK.
I'll fly over with a crowbar just for that Tech...and your handle collection:c1:
:laugh: but :hand:. I'm keepin' it, lasta.

I started off with a very much used Flat Bottom Tech. Then I found a NOS one which had been stored poorly so that some of the plating was damaged.

I PIFd the first one after receiving the second one... they both shaved the same, brilliantly. I'm a user, not a collector.

THEN I found number three, also NOS, but in great condition. It shaves just the same as the other two... but I like new things so I've kept it (it's currently my Number-1-Favorite DE razor) and PIFd number two.

Sorry if that's too much info. :blushing:

lasta

Blade Biter
In the UK.

:laugh: but :hand:. I'm keepin' it, lasta.

I started off with a very much used Flat Bottom Tech. Then I found a NOS one which had been stored poorly so that some of the plating was damaged.

I PIFd the first one after receiving the second one... they both shaved the same, brilliantly. I'm a user, not a collector.

THEN I found number three, also NOS, but in great condition. It shaves just the same as the other two... but I like new things so I've kept it (it's currently my Number-1-Favorite DE razor) and PIFd number two.

Sorry if that's too much info. :blushing:
Not at all. In fact, not enough info, I need a postal address.

I visit the UK twice a year (Pre-Covid), I'll drop by next time to collect:em2200:

• Haha
Reactions: Cal
Very nice. I seem to recognize that one, Jack. Was it on eBay, from Australia?
Yes, in fact that photo is from the eBay listing. Very nice seller, accepted an offer and posted it straight away. It had been replated in nickel and it looks almost new. Didn't have the original handle but that doesn't matter to me because I bought it to shave with. I also put a titanium handle on almost every razor I own. 😀

• Love
Reactions: Cal
Another vote for the Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid from England:
View attachment 1376663
I like either a Charcoal Goods Copper Dimpled or one of the wonderful TiBam Titanium handles on my Hybrid.

The Gillette #34 Tech from Germany (here with an Evgeny Koshelev Ti Handle) and the Gillette Pre-War Tech from Canada (here with a Polished Timeless TRH8 Crown Handle) follow right behind:
View attachment 1376672
View attachment 1376676

The English Flat Bottom, Canadian Post-War, USA Pre- and Post-War and English #24 are also in my Tech Rotation. :)
very nice and my go to after shave

If you want to own a Hybrid, but you can't find one or they cost too much for you, just get a 3-piece RFB and FB. Then use the top cap of the FB on the RFB and there you have it and on top of that you have two razors.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Flat Bottom Tech is great. But the undisputed Tech champion is the Hybrid Tech.

Untrue as I dispute. :)

A). I can can only speak as to what’s the Tech champ in my den, and for my face.

B). I don’t really think of the Ranger Tech, et al, as “Techs” per se as they are more closely related to the Super Speed family. Fine razors though. I have a Ranger and like it a lot.

My pristine 56 Tech is my favorite. It’s got the “Gillette” etched top cap and is a pleasure to behold (and shave with). And although the handle is slippery when DRY, it is not slippery in the slightest when WET!

It’s the smoothest by far of all the Techs I’ve tried. The later versions without the cap center bar don’t seem to hold the blade as well, and are not as smooth for me. I always drag my thumbs across the blade tabs and listen for a “ring”. My 56 doesn’t make a sound, but many others do.

My favourite is one of my English Flat Bottom Techs but on a Razorock UFO handle. The extra weight of the UFO handle just seems to make it an even better shaver for me.

Top Bottom