What's new

Best fragrance for a manly man?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sherlock is one of my favorites. Also Ghost Town Barbershop
But if you wear it in a Ghost Town, does it have a scent? Think long and hard before you answer. The wrong answer could tear a hole in the time/space continuem......

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm going to ask the question about the elephant that is NOT in the room: whatever happened to the @nimrod that started this thread?

Brut.

It's what Pepe LePew wore back in the day!
Back in the day...
Manly men wore Brut, Tabac, 4711, Aqua Vera, Old Spice, Acqua di Parma, Caron, Aramis, Aqua Velva, and other manly fragrances back in the day :c2:
But how many of these fragrances are considered to be manly or masculine today?
I guess it's a matter of taste, but for me many of the old fragrances are still very manly.

This kind of post always cracks me up. Like we all know what someone means by a manly man (is there a definition somewhere?), and that there is a smell attached to whatever that definition might be.

Good stuff.
The very definition of manly:
p9nvjl16d0xy.png

Back in the day...
Manly men wore Brut, Tabac, 4711, Aqua Vera, Old Spice, Acqua di Parma, Caron, Aramis, Aqua Velva, and other manly fragrances back in the day :c2:
But how many of these fragrances are considered to be manly or masculine today?
I guess it's a matter of taste, but for me many of the old fragrances are still very manly.

4711? Really?!
My grandma had it on her dresser.

4711? Really?!
My grandma had it on her dresser.
I might have to eat those words.
My wife told me that she had run out of her Amazing Grace cologne and a discussion about scents arose.
She said I smelled like cookies 🍪 and named Pfeffernuss, Zimtstern, and a couple others.
It’s true. I like spicy and woody scents.
She did say that she liked Christmas smells, the smell of Christmas cookies, and my Sandalwood shave soap (Proraso Red).
Maybe 4711 deserves a break.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
This is a fascinating and all over the map thread. When I was a lawyer in his forties and wanted a manly scent that had some staying power I turned to St. John's Bay Rum. Now that I am in my seventies I prefer the ephemeral 4711. Early in this thread Aramis was mentioned. It always reminds me of Texas oilmen in the eighties. It definitely asserts itself. There is a guy down the street who wears it. When I walk the dog at night I smell it distinctly as I pass his house.

Boucheron Pour Homme
Bought this recently. Reminds me of 4711 / DR Harris Arlington, but the citrus is deeper, last longer, and the sillage is stronger

Top Bottom