What's new

Best fragrance for a manly man?

Clubman, AV, Old Spice, various Bay Rums mostly. I have a few colognes/edts, but not for everyday for me.
I'm also just teasing and not belittling anyones choices here.

Clubman smells like an Eduardian dandy. Not sure that's the kind of "manly man" thing that he's looking for. Old Spice is a "grandpa" scent, and has florals of its own (carnation, geranium, jasmine).

Bay rum is a better choice, but most of them are weak in their silage.

Aqua Velva is probably the best choice if you don't like the scent of florals. Most of the scent is citrus, resins, and musk.

First of all, you really don't want to smell like aftershave or cologne while you're out in the woods. Attracts too many mosquitos. But when you are back at the ranch, if you want something that really lasts, most aftershaves won't fit that bill. Aftershave splashes tend to dissipate quickly. If its longevity you are after, you need a cologne, or as Zappa used to say "Avon Cologna". But seriously. You have to find the scent that works for you. I'm an outdoor kind of guy as well. Hiking and backpacking are in my blood. But I tend towards clean smelling scents. The three colognes or eu de toilettes that I have in my den are Boss, Nautica Blue and Acqua di Gio. I have far more aftershave splashes though. Get a bunch of samples and see what you like.

I bought some lemon eucalyptus insect repellent years ago when I played airsoft. It actually bordered on smell good, not nearly as bad as chemical bug spray.

The Old School

Aramis
This juice is hard to pull off. Hairy chested. It smells rugged and sophisticated alternatively. Actually, it's too macho but I thought I'd put in on the list anyways.

Ralph Lauren Polo
If you're a rugged guy, with an assertive personality this is your stuff.

Quorum
The Charles Bronson of scents. Not as loud, but a little more tuff than even Polo.

Fahrenheit
Smells more modern in my opinion, but it's from '88. Smells like you've been working on cars.

Modern Scents

Tom Ford Ombre Leather
Very smooth leather scent, but definitely macho.

Gucci Guilty Absolute
Very hit or miss for other people, but it's a very masculine scent, one that doesn't worry about who it offends. Good for wearing with a cowboy hat and boots.

Last edited:
The Old School

Aramis
This juice is hard to pull off. Hairy chested. It smells rugged and sophisticated alternatively. Actually, it's too macho but I thought I'd put in on the list anyways.

Ralph Lauren Polo
If you're a rugged guy, with an assertive personality this is your stuff.

Quorum
The Charles Bronson of scents. Not as loud, but a little more tuff than even Polo.

Fahrenheit
Smells more modern in my opinion, but it's from '88. Smells like you've been working on cars.

Modern Scents

Tom Ford Ombre Leather
Very smooth leather scent, but definitely macho.

Gucci Guilty Absolute
Very hit or miss for other people, but it's a very masculine scent, one that doesn't worry about who it offends. Good for wearing with a cowboy hat and boots.
Just discovered quorum, really good stuff

You might want to check out Midnight Stag or Leviathan. Both aftershaves, but bold and long lasting, for sure!
Chances are good they'll get noticed

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I just purchased this and I would say it is very manly, not quite Faberge Brut manly, but pretty manly :biggrin1: I love all the vintage Yardley scents, the Gold, and especially the Black Label. This new one may be the best of the lot.

20191221_091840.jpg

I too am a 44-year-old lawyer! I recommend Bois du Portugal from Creed. It checks all of your boxes, and it is one of my all-time favorites. Unfortunately, it is quite pricy. Deals can be had on fragrancenet, fragrancex, and other discounters. You could also just buy a decant from a trusted seller. A cheaper alternative is Guerlain Heritage. It is not quite as good IMHO, but it is still fantastic and quite a bit cheaper. Good luck!

Book is du Portugal sounds intriguing. Do you know if that scent or something similar is available in a shaving soap or cream?

Book is du Portugal sounds intriguing. Do you know if that scent or something similar is available in a shaving soap or cream?

I’m not aware of any shaving product that smells like it. Maybe someone else will come along with a suggestion. If there is, I’ll pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom