What's new

Best fragrance for a manly man?

To prevent anyone from mistaking me for an attorney, I tend to stick with non lingering aftershave splashes. Oldies but goodies mostly.

Clubman, AV, Old Spice, various Bay Rums mostly. I have a few colognes/edts, but not for everyday for me.
I'm also just teasing and not belittling anyones choices here.

Hi @Uncas,

Ah! I too am a big Clubman/Pinaud Fan. I especially LOVE their Bay Rum which I find very soothing. Also, I'm a HUGH fan of Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal After-Shave Lotion ( which is admittedly an acquired taste). I also recently acquired my first bottle of Clubman Osage Rub which I plan to NEVER be without. As far as Colognes/Perfumes, I have more now than I use in a Lifetime (maybe).

SixCats!

The most manly fragrance is also the most controversial. Tom Ford: Tobacco Oud.

It's really strong, and yet...offensive at the same time. You have to really have the confidence to wear this. You WILL get people's reaction.

The most manly fragrance is also the most controversial. Tom Ford: Tobacco Oud.

It's really strong, and yet...offensive at the same time. You have to really have the confidence to wear this. You WILL get people's reaction.

Tobacco Oud is actually marketed as unisex.

Hi @Uncas,

Ah! I too am a big Clubman/Pinaud Fan. I especially LOVE their Bay Rum which I find very soothing. Also, I'm a HUGH fan of Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal After-Shave Lotion ( which is admittedly an acquired taste). I also recently acquired my first bottle of Clubman Osage Rub which I plan to NEVER be without. As far as Colognes/Perfumes, I have more now than I use in a Lifetime (maybe).

SixCats!

You have to be manly to wear Lilac Vegetal because everybody is going to be trying to kick your *** for smelling like a public urinal.

Interesting. I was under the impression only Men could wear it since it's such a strong fragrance.

Some women's fragrances can be strong, particularly if they are Oriental types (as any oud would be). Just keep in mind that originally Old Spice was marketted to women, and the fragrance was inspired by William Shultz's mother's rose jar.

In middle eastern cultures, oud is worn by both men and women and most perfumes traditionally were unisex.

Back in the day before Madison Avenue and their Mad Men got into marketting fragrances. people wore fragrances because they personally liked them and they had the disposable income, not because they were men or women. Lucille Ball's favorate fragrance was Florida Water, and John Wayne's favorite was Lilac Vegetal (despite the fact it's very floral, and to me smelled more like something you'ld find in Bath and Body Works now days, snatched up by women).

Last edited:
You have to be manly to wear Lilac Vegetal because everybody is going to be trying to kick your *** for smelling like a public urinal.

Lilac Vegetal was created for the Hungarian army to help with moral during campaigns where hygienic situation was dire. Germans used 4711 in submarines, Americans had Aqua Velva.

Hello @BrushJockey,

This is a bit pricey but, one of my top three FAVORITE (Italian) Cologne that I suspect is right up your alley.

Acqua di Colonia Nostalgia Eau de Cologne
Santa Maria Novella · Cologne · 3.38 oz · Travel Size
Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella’s intent with this fragrance was to suggest the odors associated with Millemiglia race cars. Smells of tires worn out by ...
See more details at Santa Maria Novella USA »
$125.00
+$13.00 shipping. No taxArrives Oct 22 – 24
Santa Maria Novella USA

Visit site

SixCats!

Top Bottom