What's new

Best fan-shaped brush under $50?

Too many brushes I see on the sites selling badger brushes have brushes shaped like light bulbs. I find it too difficult to lather in circular motions or even painting motions sometimes with such a shape, because in order to get all the tips of hair on my face, I have to press down a little harder than if it wasnt so lightbulb shaped. Does anyone else have this happen to them?
I want to know what the best fan-shaped brush is that I can get under $50. I am not one of those people that spends $70-$200 on one brush.

I find it too difficult to lather in circular motions or even painting motions sometimes with such a shape, because in order to get all the tips of hair on my face, I have to press down a little harder than if it wasnt so lightbulb shaped. Does anyone else have this happen to them?

I fail to see why getting all the tips on your face is important, or that pressing down is a problem. I find a brush you can 'work' makes far better lather anyway.

But if it is, just get a smaller brush than you have now. I doubt knot shape will have that much relevance.

Well, you can find fan-shaped Frank Shaving brushes on eBay, or maybe you could squeak in under $50 via Penworks.us (I think my first custom from Tony was around that ballpark). You're looking at brushes stuffed with Finest hair at that price point, I think.

Buy one of The Golden Nib's butterscotch 22mm handles ($20) and a 22mm finest, fan shaped badger knot. Set the knot into the handle at about 48-50mm loft. Epoxy the knot into the handle. Around $45 for a great brush.

Buy one of The Golden Nib's butterscotch 22mm handles ($20) and a 22mm finest, fan shaped badger knot. Set the knot into the handle at about 48-50mm loft. Epoxy the knot into the handle. Around $45 for a great brush.

+1 on that. I recently set a TGN fan-shaped finest badger knot into a vintage (i.e., cheap eBay) handle and it's become my favorite brush. That is until I finish my next restoration! :w00t:

Too many brushes I see on the sites selling badger brushes have brushes shaped like light bulbs. I find it too difficult to lather in circular motions or even painting motions sometimes with such a shape, because in order to get all the tips of hair on my face, I have to press down a little harder than if it wasnt so lightbulb shaped. Does anyone else have this happen to them?
I want to know what the best fan-shaped brush is that I can get under $50. I am not one of those people that spends $70-$200 on one brush.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silvertip-Badge...066?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4155def40a

Do you think it's better to get a boar brush even though I have a badger brush now? I still use an Omega 636 but I don't like it, it doesn't seem to lather correctly no matter what I do. I rinsed it in too much vinegar once and ever since, the lather never penetrates to the knot and I never get a good lather. I want to sell it and get a new one but I'm not sure which one to get. Again, I would like it to be under $50 and fan-shaped because I think that would make it easier to face lather for me and still be a good value.

Boar, badger, it all works.

You have lots of options in a boar brush under $50. Look for a Semogue. Don't judge it until it breaks in, though.

I like my Rooney 3/1 in Pure (purchased from Vintage Blades). I have the black handle, think it looks great and has held up well over the past 1.5 years. I don't have much to compare it to, my other two brushes are Omega boar (31024 I believe) and my grandfathers Everready200T with original knot (very scritchy). The Rooney feels pretty soft, good flow through, the Omega is softer (I guess floppy, but still enjoy using it quite a bit, I guess a good contrast). Sometimes on the 3rd pass, I find I don't want to work the Rooney too much - use more of a painting motion to avoid irritation. But, that might be due to pushing the blade past its use life (I know, they're cheap but I always seem to want to see how many shaves I can go on one blade!)

Eventually will add a silvertip to the group I'm sure - still deciding which to do first, premium silvertip or jump into straights. Good luck.

+1 on that. I recently set a TGN fan-shaped finest badger knot into a vintage (i.e., cheap eBay) handle and it's become my favorite brush. That is until I finish my next restoration! :w00t:

+1 - Roll your own with a TGN 2 band knot

proxy.php

The one on the left is a Vulfix VS5 handle with a TGN 22mm Finest Xtra Hair knot set at 47mm - < $40.00 total. The Vulfix brush was $13 + 20 for the knot. I enjoy drilling out crappy knots, removing casting lines and repolishing handles and I've always got some Devcon 5 minute epoxy laying around.

The one on the right is a TGN 24mm Knot and TGN 24mm handle that I opened up a bit. Loft is also 47-48mm. < $50.00 total.

Neither one of these brushes needs to hide in shame when compared to a high end brush. They aren't as nice but they sure don't suck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom