What's new

Best fan-shaped brush under $50?

Simpson brushes from what I read are built to last a lifetime, can it be said that Rooney is of the same quality and can possibly last a lifetime? If not, which Simpson brush is excellent for face lathering, isn't floppy and isn't over $80?

Simpsons aren't floppy and are typically fan shaped when in best. If you really want tons of backbone the Shavmac D01 knot has the most I have ever felt. My Morris and Forndran blonde badgers have great backbone as well (similar to Rooney's heritage line). Semogue boar brushes have a lot of backbone as well and are very affordable.

Semogue SOC is a fantastic brush, though the break-in period to get all the brush has to offer is rather long.

What do you mean a little older? How is the Vie Long Cachurro? Does it have a good backbone and isn't floppy? I heard it is floppy and I can not stand floppiness at all.
The OP is already a little older but advice on a good brush can't be spread too often around here, can it :blush: ?
It was under $50 even custom made, only 5 Eur extra. Great brush at any price but at this level it's a veritable steal, check it out:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/291364-Custom-fan-Vie-Long-nat-Horse

Which brushes aren't densely packed? It seems to me like dense brushes don't give up lather easily and I want a brush that will give up the lather and doesn't make it disappear like my Omega 636 or Omega boar brush.

You can find a great brush with a fan shape for under 50 dollars without having to resort to cheap chinese labor.

I just had a caswell-massey, in a fan shape, in badger and bristle in my hand in a local gift shop that cost 35 bucks and was made in england.

What are you using now? I'm tempted to send you my pure badger from target just to hold you over until you can save up for a decent brush made by a craftsman in a more human-rights friendly country. (a gift, ironically probably made in china...)

Is it densely packed or floppy? How does it compare to a Vie-long horse brush?

I'd say pretty dense. Boar is different than badger since the hairs split. It's superior to the Vie-Long horse brush I have, though both are pretty good.

Right now I use an Omega 636 and Omega 31064 both of which I don't like at all. I have another post about why I think both the brushes are damaged and I can't figure out what the problem is with them. Where are Plisson and Simpson brushes made? I thought chinese labor was involved in most of the brushes regardless of where they say theyre made because most of the badgers are from there. I didn't even know they sell brushes at target.

You can find a great brush with a fan shape for under 50 dollars without having to resort to cheap chinese labor.

I just had a caswell-massey, in a fan shape, in badger and bristle in my hand in a local gift shop that cost 35 bucks and was made in england.

What are you using now? I'm tempted to send you my pure badger from target just to hold you over until you can save up for a decent brush made by a craftsman in a more human-rights friendly country. (a gift, ironically probably made in china...)

What do you mean a little older? How is the Vie Long Cachurro? Does it have a good backbone and isn't floppy? I heard it is floppy and I can not stand floppiness at all.

The OP ( original post ) was dated 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM , that's close to 1 1/2 years, a little older in my book:wink2:.
My Vie-Long custom fan is not floppy (can't stand that either) at all but it is also not overly densely packed. The horse hair is just completely different from badger. If a brush is getting floppy is mostly a matter of ratio between knot size (diameter) and loft (height/ length) of the hair, or bristles for that matter.

Where are Plisson and Simpson brushes made?

England and France, respectively. Omegas are made in Italy.

I thought chinese labor was involved in most of the brushes regardless of where they say theyre made because most of the badgers are from there.

Most knots are made from hair harvested in china. The better brush makers make the knots from the chinese hair by hand in England, France, Italy, germany, and Vie-Long makes brushes in Spain. Semogue is made in Portugal.

I didn't even know they sell brushes at target.

Yea, SOME Targets carry Shea Moisture Shaving and VanDerHagen.

Both brushes are crappy, but they will work and give one a chance to try a badger hair to get their feet wet for around 10 bucks...

Mine is flumsy, scratchy, and not densly packed. But I didn't realize how much it was lacking until I got a Rudy Vey brush with a finest two band knot. Now I can't go back.

Duke 1 in best.

$009.jpg

Think one of these would fit the bill. Awesome face lathering machine, with both soaps and creams. And Simpsons 'best' is arguable the best grade of hair out there. I think you'd be very happy with one of the beauties... I bought one as I read, on here, that the 'Duke' has bit of a bloom. As you can see, it does. I prefer a fan shape to bulb, works better with face lathering imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom