What's new

Best Face Chilling AS

I want a really serious menthol AS to add to my rotation now that summer is around the corner. However, I'm at a loss as to which to get. Scent is very important to me; I don't want something that smells like Ben Gay.

I'm aware of Chiseled Face Cryogenic, Fine Snake Bite, and the Stirling Glacial line. Is one of these the best? Are there others of equal or greater pedigree? Please help me figure this out (and thanks in advance).

Anything stirling has with the word glacial in it will be nice and carry a pleasant scent. They have several options. Most of the other higher menthol content soaps and aftershaves I know about provide the cooling effect without a good or noticeable scent.

Sent from my LEX829 using Tapatalk

Stirling Glacials are pretty dang chill. Their standard mentholated are not nearly so chilling. Osage Rub has a nice menthol level, but the eucalyptus may be too medicinal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've tried all those you mentioned plus Osage Rub; Cryogen is tops in the cold chill. You'll be putting
it on in the middle of the day and at night, just to get the freeze.

Krampert's Frostbite is the most complex and pleasantly fragranced menthol I have ever used. Very chilly stuff that can get a bit tacky on the skin if over applied, but the ingredients are top notch. Fine Snake Bite would be my second choice. Cryogen was a bit much for me.

Cryogen is heavy duty stuff and not for the feint of heart. I usually dilute it a bit with a citrus
AS, it's just too strong straight up.

Osage with a s*** load of menthol crystals dumped into it. Nothing beats that chill. Well maybe liquid nitrogen itself.

With scent being important I'd go with the stirling. Cryogen and Snake bit are both awesome but have no scent other than the menthol. Osage has a powdery scent to it. It's fine and doesn't last. It's like $6 on Amazon so it's certainly worth a try. I quite like it - especially after adder 5 or 6 drops of glycerine to the bottle. Krampert's frostbite is amazing, but it's Frankincense which is supposedly really good for the skin. I do think it has amazing skin care.

I'd also recommend checking out the shave den shop. The have 2 products: The M-bomb which is designed to add to any aftershave. They also make their own aftershaves in a million scents and you can get any of them mentholated in several levels.

As other posters as stated, you can always take your fav AS and throw in some menthol crystals [emoji4]

Sent from my LEX829 using Tapatalk

Thanks, friends. Lots of great information here. My approach is to incorporate all B&B recommendations into a list of must-try products that I'll work through progressively. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to chime in.

@
I'd also recommend checking out the shave den shop. The have 2 products: The M-bomb which is designed to add to any aftershave. They also make their own aftershaves in a million scents and you can get any of them mentholated in several levels.

The shave den was not on my radar (I've been combing through Maggard, West Coast, and the manufacturers' home sites. I'm excited to have a new shop to peruse!! Many thanks.

I just tried the Cryogen shaving soap this morning--wow, is that strong stuff. I had to use Afta as an aftershave just to settle down.

For the price: Osage Rub can't be beat. I go through a lot of it in the summer.

Krampert's is a great scent, but I have not tried all the stirling offerings.

The high-menthol PAA aftershaves (e.g., Al Fin, Tombstone) are amazing in terms of both face freeze and scent. They aren't cheap, but one can often spot one on the BST.

Jay, just get some "Premium Menthol Crystals 100% Natural" for under $10 on Amzn, add it to your favorite aftershave and there you go. 4 oz of it will last quite a long time and will do for several of your own aftershaves, even shaving creams. You can make them as strong as you like. Call it Jay's Ironman Aftershave. What's your bike weigh, 18 lbs?

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
alcoglacial.jpg
I just swapped out the winter aftershaves, now many of those mentioned are out for duty. I like the Osage Rub as well, have the Cyrogen (probably my coldest) but my favorite is Alcolado Glacial. It is hard to find, in the US anyway, but I have some laid by. Used it today in fact ..

Stephan's Alpine Menthol is excellent IMHO but not much scent, if any. You could use it then apply any scent you wished and that may satisfy your desire. I've not tried any of the other suggestions proffered.

I've never tried adding menthol to anything but the idea sounds wonderful to achieve what you're seeking and may just beat anything else. Just be careful about it and research how to properly do so as I've read that menthol needs to be carefully handled because it can damage the lungs when inhaled in crystal form. I don't know if that's true so do the research just in case it is.

Let us know how you get on with everything suggested. I, for one, will be interested to see how you fair.

Chris

Take your favorite aftershave and add menthol crystals to it. I add them to all my aftershaves and i love it, the best part is you can add as much as you like.

View attachment 792275 I just swapped out the winter aftershaves, now many of those mentioned are out for duty. I like the Osage Rub as well, have the Cyrogen (probably my coldest) but my favorite is Alcolado Glacial. It is hard to find, in the US anyway, but I have some laid by. Used it today in fact ..
Thanks for mentioning it. Alcolado Glacial is most underrated.

Top Bottom