What's new

best epoxy?

I'm restoring another brush. It's a TGN finest 18mm and an antique travel sterling handle. I'd like to get thoughts on the best epoxy to use in basic restorations. It may already be posted but I figured it can't hurt to start a new thread. thanks gents

I use the Industrial Formulaters brand. Got it at Lee Valley. It takes 24 hours to cure (overnight to set well) but it never lets go and it's waterproof. It has never let me down. What I like especially is the length of time to do some fairly minute adjustments. I use the 5 minute stuff for doing any handle repairs (cracks) because it sets so fast.

Any will do. They are all waterproof. The only significant differences are how quickly they set and whether you get the gel or the liquid. Buy the first one you see when you walk into your local hardware/building supply/department store. That is the least of your problems.

I fancy the three minute gel by Loctite but have used 6 different brands to good ends.

No matter the brand or the curing time, I do not like epoxy in the double syringes.
The hardener is twice as thick as the resin so the syringe dispenses more resin then hardener, so you always waste product.
I prefer my epoxy in separate containers.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
No matter the brand or the curing time, I do not like epoxy in the double syringes.
The hardener is twice as thick as the resin so the syringe dispenses more resin then hardener, so you always waste product.
I prefer my epoxy in separate containers.

I can see that for a guy like you who does this big scale.
For me, maybe 2 or 3 brushes a year isn't too big a deal, but a valid point none the less.

I can see that for a guy like you who does this big scale.
For me, maybe 2 or 3 brushes a year isn't too big a deal, but a valid point none the less.

The point is the purpose of the syringe is to dispense equal amounts of resin and hardener, it doesn't.
I would prefer small tubes to the syringe.
I have the 4 ounce bottle of 5 minute loctite, it's been well over a year and the bottles are still half full and the resin is developing curds in it and is very thick.
I have to put the bottle on it's side under a lamp to warm up.
The product is still hardening properly, I can tell this by the leftover epoxy on my mixing card.
BTW. I'm not a big time brush maker, there's too many pen turner who have jumped on the shaving brush band wagon also since most of us get our knots from TGN the profit margin for a custom brush is quite low.
When I make a brush it's usually part of a set, brush and matching razor handle

Last edited:
Top Bottom