What's new

Best english shave soap in wooden bowl ?

Hi all !

I've never tried one of those english hard shaving soap in a wooden bowl and I'm wondering which one is better between TOBS sandalwood soap, D.R.Harris, Truefitt or Geo Trumper.

I'd be curious to read your opinions ? Not really about scents but more about the lather quality.

Thanks in advance !

Hi all !

I've never tried one of those english hard shaving soap in a wooden bowl and I'm wondering which one is better between TOBS sandalwood soap, D.R.Harris, Truefitt or Geo Trumper.

I'd be curious to read your opinions ? Not really about scents but more about the lather quality.

Thanks in advance !
DR Harris is the best of the English hard soaps in a wooden bowl. TOBS isn't far behind, but DR Harris has the slight edge in performance due to the tallow.

thanks ! so at least I won't choose Geo Trumper
Despite the negative reviews on Geo F Trumper, I've had alot of success with their soaps and found that there is a learning curve with their soaps, but once I figured out the trick to getting them to lather (and they produce an awesome lather), I was rewarded with a rich lather. The key is using much less water and loading with a slightly damp brush (almost dry) and loading much longer then you would a typical soap.

Last edited:
DR Harris for sure, those are some beautifully scented and luxurious old world feeling soaps. I find they like soppy badgers and a stiff hand to get a good load going. I love using a Simpsons Best badger and a scuttle and lather to perfection.

Windsor and Arlington smell nothing like one another yet are both elegant in their own way. All the scents are nice really but I like these two the best.

D R Harris is good stuff (Arlington smells great), Geo F. Trumper has that lather learning curve so my vote goes to TOBS Sandalwood. It is an incredible scent, the soap is a doddle to lather and performs like a champ! If I could only use one hard soap for the rest of my life that would be the one.

If you order from Connaught Shaving in the UK, you can get the Cyril R Salter Solid soap in 100g size, plus a wood bowl that will match it. The CRS is basically the same soap as the current DR Harris, but much more reasonably priced (especially with the wood bowl).

DR Harris scents like Windsor are very nice, but you do pay for the luxury. The CRS has a classic barbershop type scent that is perfectly fine though not as nice as the Harris.

I always have a wooden bowl of a DR Harris at hand. And (ummm) I have a lot of soaps at hand...

To my nose, Windsor is not one I prefer. Currently Marlborough is in the rotation and Arlington is for next time. But it does take a long time to use one up. The scent in all of them is faint compared to artisan soaps of today. So it is a nice change.

Top Bottom