What's new

Best emergency meals.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
When we backpack we usually do freezer back meals. I will by freeze dried in bulk to assemble meals in quart freezer bags or dehydrate stuff to assemble the meals. I also like to use Lipton noodles or rice and foil pack tuna or chicken. Just add water and tuck the bag in a Reflectix cozy for 15-20 minutes and you're good to go. We are in the process of planning a Boundary Waters trip for late August and I am going to get some heavy vacuum seal zip top bags to try. In theory if I can start assembling meals now and vacuum seal them they will stay fresh a lot longer.

I had to google reflective cozy. Purty kool. :)

Mountain House was the vendor of choice at Philmont in 2014. IIRC, we typically added less water than called for initially.
I have used them since when doing a " backpacking" as opposed to car camping camp out. Walmart stocks them for proof of concept.

Chili Mac and lasagna were solid. The breakfast ones were almost universally panned and were almost always dumped into the swap box at the first available opportunity.

Interesting look at a Euro-MRE. Lot of packaging... 🤔 But we'll always agree on Rush 2112 for proof-testing a set of speakers! 🤣 🧐 I should crank up "Hemispheres" today.

AA
There was an awful lot of packaging: in my day everything was in tins. We had one with a couple of bars of chocolate and boiled sweets which was always the first opened(!)

A blast of Hemispheres sounds like a good plan...

Love it

Attachments

• 20181010_131904_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20181010_131904_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
I like the newer MRE's and I can get them at the commissary for $7 ea. Outdoor Herbivore makes some pretty decent freeze dried meals for backpacking.

Top Bottom