What's new

Best DIY lather bowl

Welcome, @Shave Souffle!!

There is a lot of different shaving items to spend your money on. I've seen some really nice shaving bowls - the pounded copper bowls are really sweet and so tempting!! I've been tempted by scuttles, too. Don't let prices dissuade you; this is an individual-centric adventure, embrace it, make it yours!!

I use a Dollar Tree salsa bowl, 2 for $1, that has micro ridged and really aids in lathering. My first bowl was an apothecary style mug/bowl which I loved. Unfortunately I dropped it into the sink and the handle broke off. I participated in a soap pass-around and one of these plastic salsa bowls was in the box. It fits excellent in my hand (there are four stubby legs under the bowl) so I went out and bought a set.

Bowl_For_Samples.jpg

There is a lot of different shaving items to spend your money on. I've seen some really nice shaving bowls - the pounded copper bowls are really sweet and so tempting!! I've been tempted by scuttles, too. Don't let prices dissuade you; this is an individual-centric adventure, embrace it, make it yours!!

I use a Dollar Tree salsa bowl, 2 for $1, that has micro ridged and really aids in lathering. My first bowl was an apothecary style mug/bowl which I loved. Unfortunately I dropped it into the sink and the handle broke off. I participated in a soap pass-around and one of these plastic salsa bowls was in the box. It fits excellent in my hand (there are four stubby legs under the bowl) so I went out and bought a set.

View attachment 1036884
Thanks, I'll check out dollar tree tomorrow. I'm guessing it would be in the kitchen section with the utensils like spatulas spoons etc., or is it near the dinner bowls and plates? Maybe it's a YMMV situation, but I've never come across one of those guac bowls in Dollar Tree before but i will definitely look for them.

Thanks for the welcome Grundi!

The salsa bowl is one of the best. Being unbreakable is a key feature for me, being a bit clumsy at times. :001_huh:

Another good option if you have an Asian market around is a bowl used for miso or noodle soup.

When I switched over from Barbasol to a brush & soap, I found myself without a bowl. Anything with rounded sides and bottom, wider at the top, will work. I used a coffee cup for a while, but the flat bottom was annoying. A ribbed plastic bowl from Ramen noodles was ideal, but flimsy & eventually cracked. It was made to be disposable & eventually reminded me of that fact. A small pressed glass salad bowl worked great years ago, but it was an antique & I was told that it needed it to be returned to the set. I've got several 8 oz. ramekins that work great & cost about a buck-and-a-half - just like the ones from the shave stores that go for around $11. They work great, especially with smaller brushes, and despite the smaller size, I can make up enough lather to have enough left for a 4th pass if ever needed.

A current favorite is an insulated 2 cup bowl with screw-on lid, found in the baby food aisle at Walmart. It's fluted & easy to hold onto. A 2 cup Rubbermaid bowl with screw-on red lid works great, too. It's a little flimsy, but the nice thing is that, if it breaks, they came in a package of 3, so I've got 2 more back ups.

I've also got a double-wall stainless steel shaving bowl with a lid - I never use it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's a delightful soap if you like the smell of urinal cakes. :wink2:
You are the first to hear this: I will be posting tonight about a challenger to the Arko stick throne, supplied by @BudgetShaverGuy ,because he got tired of my ramblings of beauty about the Arko man! For those interested it will be in the greatest thread I ever started: just like grampa used to shave. (Is that what it's called, @lancre ?)

View attachment 1036884
That is the exact salsa bowl I picked up at Dollar Tree, I face lather now but that bowl is what I use to soak my brushes in now.

For those that found these salsa bowls at Dollar Tree, was this years and years ago? I've been to 3 in person and called about 10 other local stores and no one sells these here in SW Florida. One person said she remembered seeing this, but it was a long time ago.

For those that found these salsa bowls at Dollar Tree, was this years and years ago? I've been to 3 in person and called about 10 other local stores and no one sells these here in SW Florida. One person said she remembered seeing this, but it was a long time ago.

I checked a few of these stores several months ago and could not find them either. I ended up just getting a Captain's Choice bowl, it's expensive but works the best of anything I tried.

I have thought about a lather bowl for stays in a motel when traveling, and decided I want to try the disposable styrofoam cereal bowls they use for the complimentary breakfasts. There would be no need to pack a bowl from home.

Amazon appears to have the plastic salsa bowls.

I have thought about a lather bowl for stays in a motel when traveling, and decided I want to try the disposable styrofoam cereal bowls they use for the complimentary breakfasts. There would be no need to pack a bowl from home.

Amazon appears to have the plastic salsa bowls.
Yeah I bought a 6 pack of them for $10.95. Also picked up a couple of the silicone collapseable dog dishes on AMZ (2 for under $8), as I didn't have the patience to wait a few weeks from China ordering from Ali Express.

Top Bottom