What's new

Best DIY lather bowl

Hi shave family, this is my first post here. I am new to the whole shaving culture in so far as soaps and accessories. I know it's only $20-$30 for a decent scuttle or lather bowl, and i see the plastic $12 Timeless blue bowl, or the plastic PAA Travel Scuttle for $19.99, but I feel foolish spending $20-$30 on a glorified bowl. What are some of people's ideas for DIY. I have an idea for something that will work out perfectly that i just ordered but will take a few days. Feel free to post your ideas. Thanks.

I was actually considering using the black coffee filter basket that holds the coffee filter as it sort of looks similar to the FINE ceramic lather bowl/scuttle. It even has the ribs inside which would help with aerating/ fluffing up the lather.

I also found, but didn't order silicone cupcake baking cups. Quite a bit smaller than most bowls/scuttles, but it has a bunch of ridges that would ease in creating lather.

I have used a glass bowl, ceramic bowl, stainless bowl. None were better than the other and all shaving specific ones that weren’t high dollar were way too small. Stole a Walmart salsa bowl from the wife. It is plastic, black, large and has little feet like the ones at a restaurant. Was probably less than a dollar but free in this instance. Large bowl that works great. For my soap container I use an old cream cheese container with lid, berry flavor. I had the proper equipment in my cart online more than once but never pulled the trigger. It’s not the money but the principle. I didn’t need them and I had things that would work. When in doubt, do what grandpa would do, LOL!

Ceramic bowl from Flying Tiger. Cost me 3 euros, the white lines on the inside are actually ribbed for perfect lather creation.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Ceramic bowl from Flying Tiger. Cost me 3 euros, the white lines on the inside are actually ribbed for perfect lather creation.
Excellent find. I actually have a ceramic bowl currently that is an oddball, not part of the dinnerwear set, that has irregular glazed design on the inside of the bowl that might work well, and it's something I already own i can try for FREE.

I have used a glass bowl, ceramic bowl, stainless bowl. None were better than the other and all shaving specific ones that weren’t high dollar were way too small. Stole a Walmart salsa bowl from the wife. It is plastic, black, large and has little feet like the ones at a restaurant. Was probably less than a dollar but free in this instance. Large bowl that works great. For my soap container I use an old cream cheese container with lid, berry flavor. I had the proper equipment in my cart online more than once but never pulled the trigger. It’s not the money but the principle. I didn’t need them and I had things that would work. When in doubt, do what grandpa would do, LOL!

I bought a salsa bowl from Wal-mart on a close-out. It was $1.78 and it works great. I would have preferred black, but they had only one and it was yellow.

Top Bottom