What's new

Best DE razor for the smoothest shave?

This is a paradox. I think smoothness is much more about the blade and technique than the razor. Even then, my smoothest shaves aren’t necessarily my best shaves. The smoothest is my Merkur 37C slant, but the best is my Fatip Piccolo.

This is obviously so much ymmv :)
Some people refer to fatip as a smooth razor, for me they are absolutely the opposite. Big blade exposure, do one mistake and it bites me. Don't say it's not good, I use it sometimes and like it but for me fatip is far far from smooth.
In my opinion the Rockwell 6s is the one I would recommend. Good blade rigidity, most blades cuts really well, adjustable plates so one can find their favorite.
But as mentioned very much ymmv :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think smoothness is much more about the blade and technique than the razor.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Some people refer to fatip as a smooth razor, for me they are absolutely the opposite. Big blade exposure, do one mistake and it bites me. Don't say it's not good, I use it sometimes and like it but for me fatip is far far from smooth.

Try a shallower angle by riding the cap more.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Sure, but as I said do one mistake and it bites. And can shave in my sleep with the Rockwell and it almost never bites and fails me.
But again, ymmv.
Great that it is smooth for you, for me it ain't :) It's effective though, no arguing about that.

Try it even shallower. When you dont feel the blade, you found the angle. ;)

This is obviously so much ymmv :)
In my opinion the Rockwell 6s is the one I would recommend. Good blade rigidity, most blades cuts really well, adjustable plates so one can find their favorite.
But as mentioned very much ymmv :)
The Razorock mamba is very smooth, all stainless, and a bargain for only $50.
Rockwell 6S...for me, smooth shaves with almost any blade.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
To each his own. Try the retro fatip

G

GroomedWoodchuck

Wolfman Guerrilla SB, no question wins the smoothest shave in my book.

The English Gillette RFB is the smoothest effective razor I’ve used. Curiously not my favorite, but in my top 5. I like a bit more blade feel than I get from the RFB.

This is one of those things that is so different for different people. Depends on your face type and your natural technique.
And which blades you pare with which razor.
And the type of cream or soap you use.
And whether the weather is hot and humid or cold and dry.

For instance, a lot of people are citing the Gillette TTO razors as the smoothest. I personally have had a love/hate relationship with them. They are efficient but rough ATG on me.
The smoothest to operate for me has been the Merkur 38c and 34c. You'd have to really try to get any nicks or burn. Not the closest shaves though.
The Merkur Progress falls right in the middle of those two. ;)

Part of the fun of DE shaving has been the journey of discovery.

Don't discount the blade factor. In my Yaqi DLC (RR SLOC ) head, a Nacet, which works awesome in some razors is horribly rough & scratchy, toss in a KAI and she's quite smooth.

On the smooth (comfort) side, Rockwell, RR Teck II, MingShi (Futur clone) especially the lower settings, Slim or Fat-Boy (esp lower settings), Ikon X3, Weishi 9306, RR Mamba, and RR DE1. There's a host more, depending on your budget, the Rockwell would be my first choice. With plate 1 or 2, it's tough to tell a blade is even loaded.

Strangely while everyone has spoke about the hardware - the glide and slickness of a soap or a cream has been not talked about

The Razorock Mamba, Mission are very smooth shavers where you can't cut yourself even if you tried. The vintage dar handle tech or Gillette flair tip, or new OC are proven vintage razors known to be very smooth.

On the other hand of the spectrum the Rockwell 6S / 6C stands taller than anything else in smoothness with any plate number and any blade !

I also have a Razorock Wunderbar and this is a razor for the experienced or for someone interested in a blood letting ritual - as is the opinion of many owners.

When I want a smooth shave from almost any razor my go to soap is the humble Williams Mug Soap. If lathered right - no soap can give as much glide or slickenss as the WMS. I use it with the Wunderbar and I get the closest shave with any blade !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

"Smooth" meaning no blade chatter or flex during the shave - for me the Timeless and Rockwell hold any blade tighter without any noticible movement for a smooth glide over the skin,

"Smooth" meaning closest, longest lasting BBS, smoothest skin. My 2014 R41, very closely followed by Charcoal Level 3, Ikon Tech, Timeless Bronze .78 OC, Futur wide open - all give an amazingly close shave with a glass smooth skin feel.

of course, as always YMMV

I can't think of any razor smoother than a Rockwell 6C, considering how efficient plates 4 and 5 are... (Never felt the need to use plate 6, getting already a very close shave from plate 5). Med Preps seem particularly good in this razor. Second best is my Progress long handle, very smooth and efficient for me on setting 3 or 21/2 with a Durasharp blade in it. Third best would be the Joris, very smooth and efficient, but it is easier to nick yourself if you are not paying attention. This one also seems to work well with a Durasharp blade in it. Obviously everybody has his favorite soap and pre-shave to help prepare the skin for the shave, so I am not going there...

Top Bottom