What's new

Best DE razor blades for beginners

So, what would you guys say the best razor blades for a DE beginner be?
None. What blade is the best for you?

Edit: just saw that I already answered on this thread.

My opinion stays the same; I feel we're doing beginners a disservice by pointing them to "the best" blade. IMO it's better to recommend a sample pack from one of the vendors. Everyone is different, and while an experienced shaver can get a good shave with virtually every blade brand, a beginner should have the chance to find out the differences for himself.

Also, I'm curious as to how synthetic shaving brushes compare to natural boar or badger brushes in terms of lather, stiffness, etc.
They are in a class of their own. I don't think you can make a direct comparison between synthetic and animal hair brushes.

There is a good synthetic review thread running on B&B right now ... contains a lot of great information.

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=452048
Plisson vs S-Brush vs Boar: as comprehensive as I can get

Last edited:
There seems to be a mindset that one should start with milder blades and then "graduate," if you would, to sharper blades. At least many comments seem to reflect this. Even the question, "What's a good blade for a beginner?" implies some sort of move up somehow.

I disagree. This isn't motorcycles, where it's crucial to start with something mild and gain experience.

I've got well over 1500 DE shaves. I don't really note huge differences between blades, but in general blades that other gents describe as "mild" simply seem to be the ones I prefer.

So, the answer is that there is no blade "best suited for beginners." Obviously, learning technique is crucial, but blades are "best" for skin and beard types, not for experience level.

I'd stick to trying one thing at a time. Use the same soap & razor while you try your blades.

You should get a sample pack. Maggards gives you the option of buying a few blades at a time, thus creating your own sample pack.
Don't buy a lot of blades on the recommendation of others, you'll probably end up with 100 blades you won't like. I know from experience, I bought 100 German Wilkinsons on the recommendation of a Web blog, now I've got 100 blades that I don't like.

Last edited:
I've used Sharks, Rapiras, Voskhods, Sputniks, and Wilkinsons. Any difference between these is small and attributable to the razor I'm using or to my inconsistent technique.
Kevin

When just getting rolling, I ordered two tucks each from brands highly regarded on forums, hence creating my own "sample packs". Working through a learning curve, the first tuck helped weigh in on the most "beginner friendly" of the mix.

Over time and experience, prep and technique, the second tuck allowed a revisit towards a final verdict. I've since settled on three blades, 100+ each: Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver Super Iridium, and Personna Med Prep.

If I were starting all over again, Astra SP or Polsilver SI would be first on the list of "try this".

I relearned on these. Highly recommend them.

proxy.php

Ha. Maybe for you! But to me, these would have nicked up my face had I used them when I first started out.

I would also recommend Derbys or sharks to start out. GSBs are pretty forgiving too in IMHO but they are a bit sharper than Derbys/sharks.

I'd recommend a sample pack. But make sure that you use blades from the same company for a few days before changing over to another brand. If you are looking for suggestions of individual brands, here are my recommendations:

1. Derby. It's what I recommend to most beginners. Not as sharp as others, but very forgiving and smooth. Let's you work on technique.
2. Polsilver SUper Iridium. Sharper than Derby, and still very smooth. Forgiving as well. Expensive though.
3. Israeli Red Personnas. Similar to the Polsilvers IMHO.

Good Luck!

Ha. Maybe for you! But to me, these would have nicked up my face had I used them when I first started out.

I would also recommend Derbys or sharks to start out. GSBs are pretty forgiving too in IMHO but they are a bit sharper than Derbys/sharks.

Fine. Gillette Platinums then. :001_smile

I guess I figure you might as well jump in head first.

You have an incredible value in that Perfecto long handle. I picked it up on an impulse and found it to be as effective as costlier options such as the R106/R89, and the Perfecto handle as hefty as the 39C. When I was new to DE, I was started with a tuck of Merkur, which were good blades but a bit overpriced. Somewhat randomly, my next selections included Derby, Astra SP, Shark, Feather, Rapira, and Perma-Sharp. I was pleased with all of them. Whatever product ideas you pick up, you can try them cheaply from B&B vendor Tryablade.

As you can see Blades are a huge YMMV. The only consistent thing I've seen is that most agree that Feathers are the sharpest and least forgiving. As stated by others a sampler pack is the way to go. That being said I started with the Derby's after doing a lot of online research. I found them to be very forgiving for someone just learning to DE shave. I shaved for 5 weeks with them. I had gotten good DFS shave for 2 weeks and no nick or weepers so I felt I had my technique down pretty good. I then worked my way through my samples.
Also as stated before, don't change anything but the blade from shave to shave and use each blade for at least 5 or six shaves before forming an opinion, that is unless of course a blade is jus "tearing your face up".

...what would you guys say the best razor blades for a DE beginner be?

...how synthetic shaving brushes compare to natural boar or badger brushes...
--MNG

WRT blades, it doesn't matter IMO. Most all of them are pretty good. Personally, I won't buy Chinese or Russian blades, but that doesn't mean they're no good. My favorite blades are Kai and Feather, in that order. Both are Japanese and both are pricey compared to most other blades. Tied for third place are the USA-made Personna blue and the Israeli Personna red. Both are as good a blade as you'll ever need.

I have three badger brushes and one synthetic, all of them costing about $20 or less. All three are good, but I prefer the synthetic because it doesn't shed at all. I have one cheap boar brush but don't use it and don't much care for it. My point is that you don't have to buy a $150 brush when a $20 brush will do. The same goes for razors and other shaving paraphernalia.

Last edited:
Used Wilkinson Sword for many years but now I have been enjoying Astra SP and Crystal (Israeli Reds). As for a brush I use both Boar and Badger, depends on how I feel that morning.
We can suggest many blades that WE like, all of us have many different beards and in need of different blades, So the best suggestion would be to get a sample pack of blades and pick the blade that YOU like, The brush? do you like a scratch of a Boar while applying lather or the softer touch of a Badger? Boars are more economical.

Top Bottom