What's new

Best current production Tech clone

I just ordered a sampler from Maggard's. The "V3M" looks to me to be a Tech clone. Probably made by Baili or someone in China I'm sure.

I've actually been considering the V3M head for travel. Anyone have it that can weigh in on its performance?

Shaved with it tonight. Too mild for my tastes. Seemed even milder than my Weishi.

About half-way through the shave I put on the standard "V3" head and really enjoyed it. Got as good of a BBS as I've had in a while (using a German Wilkie). No irritation and no razor burn. Sitting here feeling my face, it is baby smooth.

I have never shaved with a real tech or any other tech clones, so I cannot say how this one compares. I just know it's too mild, even for only 2 days growth.

Shaved with it tonight. Too mild for my tastes. Seemed even milder than my Weishi.

About half-way through the shave I put on the standard "V3" head and really enjoyed it. Got as good of a BBS as I've had in a while (using a German Wilkie). No irritation and no razor burn. Sitting here feeling my face, it is baby smooth.

I have never shaved with a real tech or any other tech clones, so I cannot say how this one compares. I just know it's too mild, even for only 2 days growth.
I appreciate your letting me know. I'll likely still pick one up, and likely another Maggard Razors open comb head and a Maggard handle for my new travel case. Just keep those in there safely for when they're needed. I'll have to just see how the mild head does for me, I suppose.

I'm an everyday shaver & usually use a Rockwell 6C with plate 3. My BD176 should arrive today. If it's in when I get home from work I'll try it tonight. if not tomorrow & will report my finding. With a sharp blade If should work for me. Going to use an Astra SP which is the blade I've used the most.

Last edited:
My BD 176 arrived & just had my first shave using an Astra SP. I must say it gave me a great shave & I had less buffing compared to using an Astra SP on my Rockwell 6C with plate 3. However it wasn't as smooth as the Rockwell on plate 3. Will try this combo again tomorrow. The fit & finish looked great & the gap was even.

I used to have a Gillette tech along with a Lord l5.
They are quite different razors. The Lord was more aggressive to me. It had a bigger blade gap and I could feel the blade more. The tech was milder yet effective. So with that in mind what razor should I buy?
I read what you suggest but I wonder what's the mildest of these razors?

So far I'm somewhat disappointed with my Baili BD 176. I wanted a razor as smooth as my current razor but it's not. My Rockwell 6C, RR SLOC & RR Lupo are much smoother. This razor might be going back. And I don't see any defects that can be causing the issue. Have used 2 different Astra SP blade with the same result.

So far I'm somewhat disappointed with my Baili BD 176. I wanted a razor as smooth as my current razor but it's not. My Rockwell 6C, RR SLOC & RR Lupo are much smoother. This razor might be going back. And I don't see any defects that can be causing the issue. Have used 2 different Astra SP blade with the same result.
Ok it is not smooth. Is it mild or a bit aggressive?
I.e Edwin Jagger de 89 to me is not smooth or mild. I had a Gillette Tech® aluminum and it was smooth,mild and effective for my beard.
That's the hard part when searching a tech clone razor. A lot look like tech but they feel quite differently.

Ok it is not smooth. Is it mild or a bit aggressive?
I.e Edwin Jagger de 89 to me is not smooth or mild. I had a Gillette Tech® aluminum and it was smooth,mild and effective for my beard.
That's the hard part when searching a tech clone razor. A lot look like tech but they feel quite differently.

I returned it. It was not smooth compared to my other razors, Rockwell 6C, RR Lupo, RR SLOC.
Since i wasn't going to use it I returned it. And I even try it with other blades beside the Astra SP's.

In addition to numerous Techs of a variety of vintages, including the "newer" zamax head version & I've got one of the Baili's. They all shave nicely with a wider variety of blades than any other razors I own (the 40's SuperSpeed comes close).
If you want a clone for travel and don't care about a long plastic handle, consider the YingJilli. It's available on E-Bay for around $2 or less, and the head & bottom plate is even interchangeable with the newer Techs. It even has a stainless steel bottom plate, which should be worth a couple of bucks on its' own.

Blindfolded, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in shave between it and a real Tech.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Another option is the "VINTAGE BLACK TIGER STEEL 3-Piece Double Edge Classic Safety Shaving Razor" on eBay for $5.63 + $4.76 shipping.

Screenshot_20190911_101146.jpg

Guessing the base and cap are metal, maybe aluminum. The handle is also metal and seems to be heavier than aluminum.

I grabbed one and shaved with it. Not bad at all. Definitely worth the money.

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I think it's great that Global is making the Replitech.....

.....but.....

.....for $33 you can get a very nice original Gillette Pre-war, Post-war or mid-1950s heavy English Ball End Tech.

So I have used the V3M, Black Tiger, and wetshavingclub.com Vintage Style (Looks like a Teck II) and that is the order of aggression/efficiency for me.

The V3M was mild and I did not get a DFS.

The Black Tiger was smooth, and I did get a DFS.

The Teck II/wetshavingclub.com razor was the most aggressive but I got close to BBS.

Overall I will be trying the Black Tiger and wetshavingclub.com razor heads more in the future, but with handles I like more. I find the Black Tiger's handle isn't made super well. I only get a few turns of the handle before it snugs down. The handle works fine, but it makes it feel cheap (which it is). I find the wetshavingclub.com razor handle too slippery, I prefer more to grip. The maggard razors MR11 handle seems to be a perfect fit for how I like to hold and use my razors and it fits both heads! Plus I got the Blue Anodized Stainless Steel version which is only $9.99 right now. The blue is uneven though, so half the handle is really dark, and the other half is the color I expected. Just know that if that is something that might bother you, it doesn't bother me.

Top Bottom