What's new

Best current production Tech clone

There is a sub $10 baili that is being sold under many names.
It's semi cheap, readily available, and looks very much like the 70ies zamak tech(head)

here it is compared to my 73 tech head. The real tech is closer to the right in each picture:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

what xillion posted is likely a better option though

The head looks very similar to the BBS-1. Are all Tech's 60's and above like this?

How do they shave?

The rimei tech from dx.com is really nice and its super cheap. I had one and loved it. I liked it better than my gillette but some butthead stole it from my locker.

The head looks very similar to the BBS-1. Are all Tech's 60's and above like this?

How do they shave?

I am not entirely sure as this is the only tech I own or have tried. From 1962 and on, they were made with Zamak and the caps are embossed with 'Gillette', but I'm not sure if they changed anything throughout the years.

Both the tech and the baili are very mild and comfortable.

Why buy a zamak tech at all when you can have the real thing made out of brass that will last you a lifetime? I know you said you don't like the auctions on that auction site but there are plenty of techs available there in the "buy it now" format. You just look at the listing, check the pictures, and if you like what you see, click the button and it is yours. No waiting. No being outbid. You can find them for as low as $10 USD plus shipping in fine shape. Go for the real thing and skip the zamak.

The rimei tech from dx.com is really nice and its super cheap. I had one and loved it. I liked it better than my gillette but some butthead stole it from my locker.

I believe gap is uneven on those.

As a fan of tech, what handles can go with head of 7 o'clock?

Last edited:
Why buy a zamak tech at all when you can have the real thing made out of brass that will last you a lifetime? I know you said you don't like the auctions on that auction site but there are plenty of techs available there in the "buy it now" format. You just look at the listing, check the pictures, and if you like what you see, click the button and it is yours. No waiting. No being outbid. You can find them for as low as $10 USD plus shipping in fine shape. Go for the real thing and skip the zamak.

Later model tech's, after around '63 IIRC, are zamak so just be aware of that when buying a vintage tech.

Later model tech's, after around '63 IIRC, are zamak so just be aware of that when buying a vintage tech.

What non-zamak techs looks like this? The head really reminds me of the BBS1, I'm curious to try one, see if the shave is similar.

What non-zamak techs looks like this? The head really reminds me of the BBS1, I'm curious to try one, see if the shave is similar.

As far as I know their is no difference in the shave just the materials used. The geometry is identical from my understanding but I'll defer to one of the more knowledgeable in this since my only true tech is a '63 ball tech and it's aluminum from what I gather.

Not sure what you're talking about. Every Tech that's in decent shape is over $20 when it sells.

Danbuter, I'm not sure what you're talking about. There are some with the Buy It Now option priced well below $20. In addition, there are plenty that allow you to make an offer. I've bought some items using that option and the seller typically accepts your offer. You may need to upgrade your browser.

Last edited:
Zamak Tech's are perfectly good - I'd have no hesitation at having another one in my rotation. In the main they seem to have aluminum handles which prevents plating wear on the threads.

True, I have no issues with Zamak I was just putting the information out for those who don't want Zamak and may not realize that later Techs were made from it.

Fast Forward 3 years:
Lots of folks are impressed with the Baili razors as a cheap alternative to an actual Gillette Clone. I've got one and shave results are identical to my actual Tech. If it gets lost with the luggage, it won't matter nearly as much as if it were my favorite Slim or even Krona.

An even cheaper and impressive razor is the YingJili. In fact, I've got a 2nd one I keep packed in my travel bag. Long, Plastic handle, but the base plate is stainless steel, as opposed to the chrome-plated Baili. The shave is identical to an actual Tech (or Baili).

Under $2 on e-bay, it's worth the price just for the stainless bottom plate:
Traditional Classic Stainless Steel Manual Shaver Double Razor Edge Gift Bl G9T1 | eBay

Last edited:
The ad says it is stainless steel. Is this correct, or is it your accidental "we meant zamak" Chinese QC?
That link is to an auction that has ended, so they redirect you to "We found something similar", and that "similar" auction makes the claim of it being made of stainless steel, but absolutely no hint of a brand name.
You have to click on "View original item" to see the Gillette.

Top Bottom