What's new

Best Combination of Efficiency and Comfort?

The Global Shave R41+. It's based on the Muhle R41 but seems to have smoothed out the bite.

Mind you,it can still show you the need for attention but it's not lurking for your mistake.

marty
I heard really good things about this razor lately. Very intrigued.

Interesting question.

If we are talking comfortable razors that get the job done without irritation, grab a Gillette Tech (preferably a Pre-war, Fat Handle or post-war through the 1950s), load a Feather, Kai or other mega-sharp blade in it and see how you like the combination. Typically a three pass plus some minor touch-up and buffing BBS with little or no irritation.

You can experiment with handles, if needed, to match your hands, change the balance, etc..

Pretty inexpensive way to get some additional data.

YMMV
Gotta agree with the Tech for a great shave. I have several from Prewar to Post war to the Zamac heads, and also several clones - ALL to a smooth and easy shave with a wide variety of blades. I've had great shaves in techs with Voskhods, Astra SP, Shark Platinums, BIC Platinums and Rapira LUX.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
For me it has to be the Timeless Titanium Scalloped.95 or open comb.68 or .95
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190920083427755_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190914085317550_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190824140542998_COVER.jpg
I'm

Last edited:
My Top 2 in the Best Combination of Efficiency and Comfort Category are :
#1) TATARA NODACHI :ouch1:
#2) TIMELESS Ti .95 SB
HON. MENTION: BLACKBIRD SB
Hi, my Nodachi just arrived and had shave # 1 this morning. Nice and efficient, but I need a few more shaves to get the angle down. What blade do you prefer?

I used a feather based on their recommendation.

Hi, my Nodachi just arrived and had shave # 1 this morning. Nice and efficient, but I need a few more shaves to get the angle down. What blade do you prefer?

I used a feather based on their recommendation.
I used the Astra SP so far and it’s working out great. Next I am going to give PolSilvers or a Nacet blade a go. Once you find the angle @Taniwha ... Shaving nirvana!.. Enjoy the Nodachi :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've not tried that many, but my Jagger DE3D14 just feels right for me. I can get as close as I want without causing problems, and only very rarely break though the skin. I could probably get closeness more quickly with something else, but at a sacrifice of comfort or freedom of mind. If I want a shave that I really need to concentrate on, I'll use a straight or shavette.

Among those razors already mentioned, I would also recommend the Timeless 95 SB, BB, Karve E SB. I also enjoy the New LC, but to me, it lags behind those three in efficiency by a significant margin.

One razor that I didn't see mentioned, but I think would fit your criteria well, is the ATT Windsor H. It's more efficient than the GC 84 and super smooth.

Timeless 68 SB with knurled handle loaded with a Nacet (blade has to be broken in with at least one shave though) and using Truefitt and Hill’s Ultimate Comfort or Trafalgar. Took me 10 years to find that combo.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Paired with a Nacet, Oristo. Pathetically mild with anything else, the Oristo/Nacet has become my go-to combo. FWIW, my previous go-to combo was an R41 packing an Astra green.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It absolutely depends on the face/beard. Some shavers have a beard like a 12 year old and some have a beard more like wire.

The only way to find your best razor/blade/face/beard combination is to experiment. For me it's the Wolfman with a PolSilver SI, but that doesn't mean it's a good combination for you.

Some people like an aggressive razor with a milder blade and some like a mild razor with a very sharp blade. Some need an aggressive razor with a very sharp blade.

Gillette aristocrat jr 48.

I find it more comfortable than the 2nd gen Brit aristocrat with which it shares the same head

I do think the head is actually slightly different.

Just received a H & S NO75 and it is EXTREMELY smooth yet efficient. So smooth I can hardly feel it on my face when shaving. My Rex Ambassador is close but the NO75 is just a bit smoother.

1) RazoRock Lupo Alu + Rapira PL
2) RazoRock German 37 Slant + Gillette Silver Blue
3) The Colonial Razors Silversmith + Gillette Silver Blue

My best razors in terms of efficiency and comfort (with the proper blade of course) are Fatip OC and Fatip OC Slant also known as FOCS. For a while I thought I might pull the trigger on a one of the Timeless razors, but since I can't try them all and decide which one works best for me and also when I concider the price, I just gave up on that idea.

If you define;
efficiency = ability to shave deep enough in less pass
comfort = free of nicks, cuts, razor burns

Subject to not apply any pressure, a moderate Slant (Merkur 37C) will be most efficient and comfortable choice IMO.

If we have to pick among Non-Slants;

I'll pick Rex Ambassador (on full Adjustable side), 6C (manual adjustable side), Gillette Slim (Vintage Adjustable side)

and

I'll pick GC.68 on DE side

Top Bottom