What's new

Best Combination of Efficiency and Comfort?

A few weeks ago I asked folks to state their most efficient razor. The most commonly mentioned were the Fatip OC, Muhle R41 and Blackland Blackbird. The Gillette Old Type, Wolfman WR1 and Timeless OC were close behind.

The only one of those razors that I have used is the Fatip OC and I couldn't use it without it irritating my neck. I use a Muhle Rocca regularly, but while I find it extremely efficient and can use it without cuts, nicks or irritation, I need to use it carefully. On the other hand, I can use my Game Changer Open Comb or RazoRock Hawk while carrying on a conversation with my wife. The shaves aren't quite as close, but they provide a great combination of efficiency and comfort.

Maybe some of those other top picks like the Blackbird or Timeless combine the efficiency of my Rocca with the comfort of my Game Changer. My recollection of posts I've read is that the R41 and Blackbird, at least, are not the most comfortable shavers, but I won't swear to that.

So what have you found to be the best combination of efficiency and comfort? Is it the most efficient razor you own, or one that is a bit less efficient but a better trade-off between efficiency and comfort?

Comfort doesn't come into it. I use a R41 because it cuts hair efficiently and leaves a smooth face with less strokes than other razors. I don't get any particular irritation or "discomfort". I like blade feel and as much audible feedback as possible. I find smooth razors with no blade feel boring.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was PIF'd a New LC from @Tanuki , and when @nemo heard about it he sent me a new old stock Wilkinson Sword to use in it. Unbelievably close, comfortable combination.

Of course, the use of Arko stick, face lathered, is mandatory for the best possible shave.

Dave, the reluctantly retired self proclaimed King of Arko-land!

Paradigm 17-4, RS10, Timeless Titanium.95 SB and the newer H&S NO75 would be my choice of very smooth shaving with very good efficiency. Still waiting to receive my Tatara Nadochi to see where that fits in.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Toss-up between my Paradigm 17-4 and my Wolfman WR2 1.25mm SS. Both excel at mowing down whiskers; the Paradigm is smoother, but the Wolf cuts deeper.

I was PIF'd a New LC from @Tanuki , and when @nemo heard about it he sent me a new old stock Wilkinson Sword to use in it. Unbelievably close, comfortable combination. Of course, the use of Arko stick, face lathered, is mandatory for the best possible shave.

Dave, the reluctantly retired self proclaimed King of Arko-land!

So you've retired as the king of Arko-land? :001_tt2:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Interesting question.

If we are talking comfortable razors that get the job done without irritation, grab a Gillette Tech (preferably a Pre-war, Fat Handle or post-war through the 1950s), load a Feather, Kai or other mega-sharp blade in it and see how you like the combination. Typically a three pass plus some minor touch-up and buffing BBS with little or no irritation.

You can experiment with handles, if needed, to match your hands, change the balance, etc..

Pretty inexpensive way to get some additional data.

YMMV

Timeless 95 OC, Charcoal Goods L2 OC, and Carbon CX (not in any particular order) are all efficient razors that I can use daily. I have sensitive skin, so I only do 2 WTG passes and I’m concerned more with comfort than efficiency, but I’ve noticed that those razors shave a little closer than some of my others.

RR JAWS and Timeless 0.95 SB.. both smooth and very efficient.. JAWS little more blade feel but both very comfortable

how does your WR2 1.25mm compare with the 0.95 SB Timeless.. i have a the same timeless in SS and in the process of ordering a wolfman.. originally picked the 1.15 gap but thinking of going up to 1.25
The 1.25 gets a slight nod in efficiency and blade feel, and the 0.95 gets a slight nod in comfort. All in all, I find them to be very similar. I had a 1.15 wr2 and found it just a tad milder than I'd like. Remember that it's always easier to trade down than up on the forums so keep that in mind.

The 1.25 gets a slight nod in efficiency and blade feel, and the 0.95 gets a slight nod in comfort. All in all, I find them to be very similar. I had a 1.15 wr2 and found it just a tad milder than I'd like. Remember that it's always easier to trade down than up on the forums so keep that in mind.

thanks.. leaning towards the 1.25 atm, i do like efficiency and a little blade feel is nice.. to me the timeless 0.95 SB has no blade feel

You're welcome, I think the 1.25 is a great choice. The blade feel is just right IMO.

have you shaved with a GC jaws or R41? i find that to have the perfect amount of blade feel.. The R41 has a lot of blade feel, which is great for a 2-3 day growth but borderline when shaving the next day with very little growth

Top Bottom