What's new

Best colognes to use as aftershave

I know some guys use colognes as aftershave. I only did it once. It wasn't a great experience for me.

I'd like to know what colognes contain less harsh ingredients, so they can be used as aftershave.

What are your opinions?

lasta

Blade Biter
NorthernSoul is right.

Assuming each splash ~1ml, you'll quickly become Mr. Too Much Cologne Wearer. I usually use 3 splashes.

I was a Basenotes member long before B&B. I stick with Nivea in the dryer months, and either Gatsby or Proraso Green in the warm/humid times. Neither interfere with scent of the day.

I'll often use a cologne to finish the shave!
No problem!
As a post-shave step, I normally smear left-over lather from the brush over the wiped face.
That step re-moisturizes the skin and is sort of an 'aftershave'.
So, a cologne as finish is quite ok!

penhaligon's endymion muehle joris october 14 2022.jpg

I'll often use a cologne to finish the shave!
No problem!
As a post-shave step, I normally smear left-over lather from the brush over the wiped face.
That step re-moisturizes the skin and is sort of an 'aftershave'.
So, a cologne as finish is quite ok!
Soap is not moisturizing, even if it has added fats, they are there to make up for all the skin oils that were stripped away by the soap! You must be blessed with good skin.

Personally, I could not get away with that. If I used cologne as an aftershave, people could smell me coming from a block away. I'd rather not be "that guy".

I am aware of the intended purposes of the different products but for my entire life I have used aftershave, EDT, and cologne in exactly the same way; I apply them after shaving and thereafter reapply as often as I feel like. My skin looks pretty good for a man of my age; I may well be 'that guy' but I could not care less unless my wife objects.

Turkish kolonya is like a very old-fashioned "cologne water" as is 4711. It's intended to be splashed on liberally.

Most often in American usage, a cologne is a strongly fragranced product intended to be used sparingly on a few pulse points, like an EdT or EdP. Confusing terminology!
Brits call all this stuff aftershave. Go figure.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This sounds like a horrible idea to me, but I've been wrong before.

Do you need aftershave? Why? I use WH and balm because my skin is dry and they soothe my skin. If you have after you shave needs those should be addressed with WH or an unscented aftershave treatment.

Then choose your cologne - which will be waaaaaay stronger than aftershave and required in much smaller amounts (preferably not on your face).

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
full

From Pasteurs:
Popular gentlemen’s scent for classic wet shavers. Scented with sweet tobacco and menthol. Made in Austria Alt-Innsbruck’s Cologne and Aftershave combines the strong, masculine fragrance of tobacco and the soothing qualities of menthol. Alt-Innsbruck uses a traditional recipe unchanged for over fifty years. It’s simplicity is its greatest attribute. It has an unmatched, refreshing feel extremely popular with shavers.

Top Bottom