What's new

"best" cologne for brutally hot, humid weather

I own Guerlain Vetiver, and the drydown is a bit spicy and smoky for sweat-in-your-asscrack weather. I love it for spring evenings (60-70.°F), but for those hotter days, Bois de Cedrat is good.

Maybe it is stronger on your skin. How many hours after initial application did you begin your strenuous activity? Have you done a comparison with Tom Ford Neroli Portofino?

Let's see, morning shower, took the kids to the park early afternoon and decided to do some sprints while they were on the playground. Guess 5-6 hours. This happened to me all the time when I was in school and worked out in the afternoon. I'd try to stay with lighter or closer to the skin stuff, and sometimes it would come out and kill me on the treadmill.

Osage rub. The big O is the equivalent of liquid nitrogen for the face. A nice lather of green Proraso, followed by a generous splash of Osage will make things frosty.

Let's see, morning shower, took the kids to the park early afternoon and decided to do some sprints while they were on the playground. Guess 5-6 hours. This happened to me all the time when I was in school and worked out in the afternoon. I'd try to stay with lighter or closer to the skin stuff, and sometimes it would come out and kill me on the treadmill.

Sorry, off topic. BandP, I'm trying to picture this random sprinting scenario. So you're just standing there, watching your kids on the playground, AND WHAM!... you sprint for 50 yards or so and stop. Rest. BAM!... your off for another 50 or 75 yards then stop... rest... LOOKOUT!... another 50 yards comin' at ya! I think I'd enjoy watching this.

Honestly, I'm not poking you about it. I really admire anyone who actually exercises instead of just talks about it.

Anyway, back on topic... best brutally hot weather fragrance for me is Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert or Kenzo L'eau par Kenzo. Both are very light and naturally citrusy [Eau d'Orange Vert like orange (rind) and L'eau par Kenzo like lemon]. Almost more like scented water than fragrances, which makes sense to me in such weather. Just feels right.

Last edited:
Sorry, off topic. BandP, I'm trying to picture this random sprinting scenario. So you're just standing there, watching your kids on the playground, AND WHAM!... you sprint for 50 yards or so and stop. Rest. BAM!... your off for another 50 or 75 yards then stop... rest... LOOKOUT!... another 50 yards comin' at ya! I think I'd enjoy watching this.

Honestly, I'm not poking you about it. I really admire anyone who actually exercises instead of just talks about it.

Anyway, back on topic... best brutally hot weather fragrance for me is Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert or Kenzo L'eau par Kenzo. Both are very light and naturally citrusy [Eau d'Orange Vert like orange (rind) and L'eau par Kenzo like lemon]. Almost more like scented water than fragrances, which makes sense to me in such weather. Just feels right.

I've been trying to get opinions on the Kenzo pour Homme. Ever tried that one? The fragrantica profile caught my eye. http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Kenzo/Kenzo-pour-Homme-77.html

So, my kids are 9 and 6, and pretty much ok to do whatever within earshot. The park was a large, metro park located along a river. The playground was next to a picnic area with a giant activity field next to it. I kind of just decided why not knock out some sprints right there and save me from doing cardio later. I did, however, return to the bench to find my new AO's knocked on the ground and stepped on. It was game over then.

Just ordered Voyage by Nautical from amazon. The price went up, but is still under $22 for a 3.4oz. While the wife was shopping for a new purse today I stopped at Saphoria and was impressed with it. Actually liked it better than acquainted do gio.

How does it compare to Lubin's Vetiver?

Sorry, these long threads like this, it's hard to keep up with them. Guerlain Vetiver pour elle is nothing at all like Lubin's Le Vetiver. The easiest way to describe Vpe is to just start with regular Guerlain Vetiver, remove the tobacco, and replace it with florals - namely orange blossom and honeysuckle. There's nothing really feminine about it, it just smells more appropriate for the stinkin'hot dog days of summer. I almost never wear it until it gets close to 90.

In New Orleans heat I enjoy creed SMW, Creed Selection Verte is also a great idea. Aqua di Parma. Penhaligons limes also.

Sorry, these long threads like this, it's hard to keep up with them. Guerlain Vetiver pour elle is nothing at all like Lubin's Le Vetiver. The easiest way to describe Vpe is to just start with regular Guerlain Vetiver, remove the tobacco, and replace it with florals - namely orange blossom and honeysuckle. There's nothing really feminine about it, it just smells more appropriate for the stinkin'hot dog days of summer. I almost never wear it until it gets close to 90.

I was asking because I think I saw it on shelf in a perfume store. I'll give it a try. BTW does orange blossom = neroli? I'm not a big neroli fan.

Personally I hate wearing colognes on really hot days. But on days like a BBQ or outdoor party where I would wear one it would be either Lacoste Essential or Gendarme. Although I tend to take it easy with the Lacoste, just one or two sprays.

I think Gap put out a cologne some years back that smelled like fresh cut grass or something along those lines.

I'd have to echo the poster that said Aqua di Gio and also add L'eau d'Issey by Issey Miyake and Le Mal by Gaultier. I live in Florida so I'm phasing out my winter fragrances and phasing in more summer frags to use most of the year.

Thank you rearview...I've been on hiatus for a while finishing my Doctoral dissertation, but I'm almost done and going to try and be more active around here.

Hot weather?
Captains Choice or Pinaud Bay Rum, or Pinaud Special Reserve.

Not quite so hot but still warm?
Pinaud Clubman or Lilac Veg.

Cooler, but air still warm and moist enough to not need Carmex?
Floid Blue

Cooler and starting to get a bit dry?
Ogallala Bay Rum

Cold and dry?
Tabac or Jagger Sandalwood balm, or if nursing a windburn, Neutrogena triple/SPF.

And yes, I know you asked "cologne" and I responded with aftershaves... but the Special Reserve is an AS/Cologne... and all of the Pinaud frags seem to "hang" with me all day.

Top Bottom