What's new

Best coffee maker - is there a consensus?

How efficient is the carafe at keeping the coffee hot? Like you, time is of the essence, so during the week we sustain ourselves on drip. And even some Saturday mornings, when I know I'm in the mood for mass consumption, I'll brew a pot of drip (saving the french press for the evening, when a cup or two before bed is what I'm looking for).

And what do you run through your Capresso during the week? The commercial stuff (Folgers/MH/etc), or do you still take the time to grind beans up?

FYI- Just for the fun of it, I did some measuring this morning (I'm such a nerd). Using a Thermapen, I measured the temp of the water as it comes out of the machine before it hits the basket, I got 198 degrees. I was simply letting the water feeder sprinkle onto the probe, though, so I'm sure the actual H2O temp was a couple of degrees hotter than the reading, which would put the brewing temp squarely at the 200 degree sweet spot. Then I checked the temp of the coffee about 5 minutes after the brewing was complete (in a non-preheated carafe) and I got 187 degrees...which is about my perfect drinking temp, hot but not scalding. I intended to let it sit for an hour and check it again, but I couldn't let a delicious pot of coffee sit forlorn. From my experience, though, even approaching two hours in the carafe, the coffee is still pretty hot and drinkable.

I'm in no way trying to convince anyone that this is a better machine than any of the Technivorms. I just want to point out that it's not too far behind a TV. Technivorms are great, but their price can be prohibitive to some, and their lack of features can be a turnoff to others. If you shop online, you can find a refurbished MT-500 with a full warranty from Capresso for cheap. I got mine about a year ago for < $100 shipped. That's a steal.

Any recommendations on glass carafe machines? I prefer the glass carafes and actually set my coffee machine to turn off after 30 mins. Then if the coffee's too cool, I microwave it briefly. I think it stays fresher that way than if you keep it too warm.

I guess I am a Philistine and should be shunned by my peers but I use a Mr. Coffee and have been surprisingly happy with it. It brews my French Roast just fine. I usually turn the burner off after a half hour to keep the coffee from getting nasty.

Any recommendations on glass carafe machines? I prefer the glass carafes and actually set my coffee machine to turn off after 30 mins. Then if the coffee's too cool, I microwave it briefly. I think it stays fresher that way than if you keep it too warm.

No way -- get a vacuum carafe. Keeps it hot for a long time without tasting burnt.

No way -- get a vacuum carafe. Keeps it hot for a long time without tasting burnt.
I realize I'm "going against the grain" (so to speak), but I think that the way I do it exposes the coffee to far less heat since it cools down and then only gets reheated right before I drink it.

+1 I wouldn't go back to glass now that I've had this style.

In college/slightly after college, I had a Melitta Grind N Brew with a glass carafe. I automatically turned off after 30 mins, I think. It was OK. The grinding mechanism inside the brew basket was convenient; Pour in H2O, pour in beans, set timer, in the morning be awakened to the sound of your beans being ground. The quality of the brew was drinkable, but not great.

I realize I'm "going against the grain" (so to speak), but I think that the way I do it exposes the coffee to far less heat since it cools down and then only gets reheated right before I drink it.

But in a vac. carafe it gets heated once, and stays hot with no hot plate, and you don't have to worry about accidently breaking the carafe :001_smile

For those of us that brew our coffee and drink it immediately the vacuum carafe is totally unnecessary and yes if you have butter fingers and drop the stainless carafe on the floor you can break it too. Also remember that for the best taste there is nothing like glass. Any metal can impart an off taste or aroma.

Honestly, there's a lot to like. It's small, lightweight, portable and has almost no footprint on your counter. It's very easy to clean and best of all, it makes one fine, potent cup of coffee.

The only strike I can think of is that you have to use roughly twice the amount of coffee to brew a cup.

For the price, I love it.

Says who?

Says who?

Me.

I have to use two heaping tablespoons to get one good cup of coffee. I suppose if you prefer a weaker cup, one tablespoon would do the job.

I can use less coffee with a french press and get a decent cup of coffee, I just don't care for the taste (and sludge) from a french press as much.

I must have been living in a cave--this is the first time I've ever heard of the Aeropress. It sounds pretty neat, and it looks like a great office option. How is clean up? Does the cylinder disassemble? I love my French press, but I quit using it at work because it was such a pain to clean.

I must have been living in a cave--this is the first time I've ever heard of the Aeropress. It sounds pretty neat, and it looks like a great office option. How is clean up? Does the cylinder disassemble? I love my French press, but I quit using it at work because it was such a pain to clean.

It's extreamly easy to clean. In fact, it cleans up easier and faster than anything I've used.

For those that are interested in learning more about the Aeropress, I am proving a link to a forum called Coffee Geek. You'll find a wealth of information on the Aeropress and how to get the most out of it. The inventor of the Aeropress is a regular contributor.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/195166

I'm interested too (as I indicated above). For purposes of reference, here's a link to the site.

My hamilton beach stay or go coffee maker maker came with a vacuum pot and two travel mugs. Makes suprisenly good coffee. Got it as a gift for christmas two years ago.

Clayton

Me.

I have to use two heaping tablespoons to get one good cup of coffee. I suppose if you prefer a weaker cup, one tablespoon would do the job.

I can use less coffee with a french press and get a decent cup of coffee, I just don't care for the taste (and sludge) from a french press as much.

2tablespoons per cup is standard, friend. That's not more than normal. I bet it just seems like more in comparison to the aeropress's limited water capacity.

While I enjoy the aeropress, I tend to think that there are better ways to brew a cup of coffee for maximum enjoyment. We all have our preferences.

Top Bottom