What's new

Best Coffee Home Roaster (for the money)

That's sweet John. Did you end up getting the used one on Sweet Maria's or is that new?

I got the used one, but honestly, it looks practically brand new. A couple fingerprints and some bits of chaff, but that's about it. It's supposed to have a dent somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. I also got the small druff as well.

I dunno...

I started home roasting with a West-Bend "Poppery II", and it's served me faithfully (if not in small batches) for a long time. But I recently was reading on CoffeeGeek.com and found a photo-article from 2006 on making a BM/TO (bread machine/turbo oven).

It looked/seemed so cool, so I searched eBay for a used Galloping Gourmet convection oven (model AX-707) and a used WelBilt bread machine (model ABM-600), and found 'em (NIB). Now I'm waiting for them to arrive, so I can build it up. I bought a Mini Shop-Vac and some other parts, which will be my super-bean-cooling unit.

Here's a link to the article

Here's a link to his "2nd-Generation" home roaster

14 Feb 2008: The Mini Shop-Vac arrived two days ago -- @1hp/1gal this is both a powerful and a noisy vacuum. The WelBilt bread machine arrived yesterday -- it works perfectly, and (so I've read on CoffeeGeek.com) can even roast 1lb-batches of green coffee. The Galloping Gourmet turbo oven won't be delivered until next Monday, so perhaps I'll try roasting a standalone-BM-load.

Any method of roasting green coffee beans will produce smoke, and the more beans in the batch. the more smoke in the air. The problem with roasting outside is variable temperature. (Not to mention comfort for the one who monitors the process.) Variable ambient temperature changes the desired roasting time, complicating your learning curve. And ultimate procedure.

The suggestion to get an iRoast2, and through Sweet Maria's is right on. This machine can be easily vented to the outdoors. Just do it.

I got the used one, but honestly, it looks practically brand new. A couple fingerprints and some bits of chaff, but that's about it. It's supposed to have a dent somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. I also got the small druff as well.

Is it tough to see the beans roast or can you open the door as it roasts?

Is it tough to see the beans roast or can you open the door as it roasts?

I haven't' used it yet, but you need to look through the window and chaff collector. There's a simple cutout you can make (and approved by Behmor) that will let you see the beans better, but I haven't done it.

D

doleeo

I haven't' used it yet, but you need to look through the window and chaff collector. There's a simple cutout you can make (and approved by Behmor) that will let you see the beans better, but I haven't done it.

Could you give me a link that shows you how to do this?

You can get the instructions from Behmor, but here's a photo from coffeegeek that I swiped. You can see the hole in the upper left part of the chaff collector.

proxy.php

D

doleeo

Thanks for the pic. I think I might do that this weekend. Have you used your roaster yet? I love mine. So much better than huddling around outside over a popcorn popper.

Good luck with your first roast John. With the Behmor you will hear the "cracks" very easily. I suggest that you hit the cool button when you hear the first few snaps of the second crack. This machine does "coast" and it will move along pretty quickly once you hear them.

Just have fun and enjoy your freshly roasted coffee.

Thanks for the advice Scott. I've been reading and reading on how to use it and seen reference to coasting. I just haven't had time to plug the thing in. I will do so this weekend...maybe tonight.

I'm a big milk aficionado. Anyone know where I can pick up a Holstien cheap? I want to be a home milker.:lol:

OH NO! CAD (Cow Acquisition Disorder).:lol:

Sorry...I'm at work and need a shave.

I'm a big milk aficionado. Anyone know where I can pick up a Holstien cheap? I want to be a home milker.:lol:

OH NO! CAD (Cow Acquisition Disorder).:lol:

Sorry...I'm at work and need a shave.

I have plenty of family members that could help you out.

a lot of people use a heatgun and dog bowl. I've never tried it.

I've been oven roasting for years, but have been experimenting with the heat gun method for the past month. It's quite good, and gives remarkable control over the roasting process. I use the Milwaukee 8977-20 variable temp heat gun (about $90), and I would be surprised if this tool didn't last me twenty years.

I use a steep 3 qt. stainless steel mixing bowl, a wooden stick (actually a handle for a hammer ended up working best), a large colander, and a strong fan (for cooling). With this setup I can roast around 450 grams of coffee at a time (but 300 grams is ideal).

There is a learning curve involved with this method, but so far I've only had one "throw-away" roast.

A friend here uses the heat gun method with a re-wired bread machine. He got the idea from Coffee Snobs (http://www.coffeesnobs.com.au/), a site with a wealth of useful home-roasting information. People are always dumping bread machines at thrift stores, so I imagine it would be easy to pick one up for a few bucks, if you were interested.

I've had more fun with the heat gun method, but that's probably due to the fact that I've got a "roasting buddy" here. We meet on Saturday mornings, "cup" coffee, and play chess. I'd highly recommend finding someone else in your area who home roasts, so you can compare notes. Just be prepared for your coffee intake to rise... :biggrin:

Top Bottom