What's new

Best choice for an efficient razor

$worms.jpg

My two favorites ...

New Deluxe ... Heavy and extremely well balanced as well as among the hardest to find.

View attachment 697428

The Bulldog Old Style ... another great shave and another very rare piece.

View attachment 697429

Easily the best two shaves in my collection.

Wow! Guido. Great to see you back. I recall your enthusiasm for the NEW Deluxe. A great razor indeed. My favorite razor is iKon's homage to the NEW Deluxe, the 2010 Deluxe OC LE.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Cut the sharp ends off a blade and use it as a shim by placing it under the blade to make it a more aggressive shaver. Never tried it. I think Highspeedlane told me about it....

What is British pricing like, on the Merkur Progress ?

That would let you go as aggressive as you want.

And i like the idea of shimming the DE89 -- inexpensive, and probably effective.

. Charles

Loads of great suggestions, thank you everyone. Thanks for sharing Guido lovely looking razors.

Unfortunately my budget will be pitifully small only about £10 -£12 (might be able to squeeze a smidgen more but that's it). So the only option is a 'new to me" razor than a "new new" razor.

Prices of the Progress are around £55 + p&p new and not seen a second hand one go for less than £30 + p&p.

Did see a Fatip Grande go for £11 + p&p on eBay but couldn't bid as I'm currently under a spending ban from the good lady due to blowing a previous budget cap on a new synthetic brush. Only seen one Fatip anywhere near this price so may have to wait a long time for the next opportunity. Very lovely looking razors though.

Thanks for the idea of shimming the razor. I didn't know what that meant but have seen the term mentioned before. Knowing me I'll probably do myself a lot of damage trying to remove the sharp edges (any suggestions on how to do this without me losing a finger or two?).

I've seen a number of comb razors on eBay but I still need to be able to tell the difference between them. I've seen the posts about old and new types but sometimes its difficult to tell from the pictures on eBay and some seem to look the same but are quoted very differently.

At least I can play a game of name the razor while my shaving blockade is in place.

Would consider single edge razors however I'd have to get a razor + single edge blades and my wife might go crazy if she thought I was re-kitting out on a new type of razor. How easy are single edge blades to come by and how do they compare price wise? not seen them new but never really looked as I've only used a DE razor.

Did see a few job lots of single edge razors on eBay but they may have been of questionable condition (looked chucked on a table without much love).

I'd recommend the Braveheart DE razor. Can just purchase just the Braveheart razor head for pretty cheap (~15 pounds IIRC) and will fit your muhle handles. You can also spend some more money and get it with a SS handle if you want to have a bit more weight to it. Handle is well made.

Its between R89 and R41 in aggressiveness but more aggressive than mild but I find it a very smooth shaver. Very efficient .. good razor. Sold by UK executive shaving company, so easy for you to purchase. Its not discussed much on this forum but most of the reviews of the razor head have been overwhelmingly positive (with exception that it is a zamak head like your muhle razors).

Last edited:
Would consider single edge razors however I'd have to get a razor + single edge blades and my wife might go crazy if she thought I was re-kitting out on a new type of razor. How easy are single edge blades to come by and how do they compare price wise? not seen them new but never really looked as I've only used a DE razor.

Did see a few job lots of single edge razors on eBay but they may have been of questionable condition (looked chucked on a table without much love).

SE blades generally need to be ordered online. Connaught Shaving carries the GEM PTFE coated ones. Other UK vendors may carry them as well. You can often find decent SEs on Etsy as well.

Is selling of of your current razors a viable option to raise funds to increase your budget? Both seem to sell easily on the B-S-T.

Maybe a Feather Popular they are a good price on the bay, within your budget I think.

I find the Feather Popular to be much more mild and much less efficient than the Edwin Jagger DE89. I end up with only a CCS after 3 passes plus touch up. I can manage a BBS only by trying things like j-hooking, blade buffing, and applying pressure. This was all with a Feather blade.

I could possibly sell the DE razors to raise funds but they are both very attractive. I think I would really miss the EJ and I keep thinking about swooping the handles around (lined handle on the EJ, knurled handle in the R41). If I sold any razor my wife would never let me buy it back again so ideally I don't want to go down that route (I'd rather wait a long time before doing that, would have to be totally sure I had THE razor replacement before losing one of these beauties). I would also like to have a small number of razors to rotate if possible.

I had heard the feather popular was milder than my EJ so didn't list it. I don't mind vintage or modern (but would prefer one that's not hit every branch of the ugly tree).

On the SE side I have no idea what I'm looking for in a decent razor some can look a little more functional than attractive (but I've not looked at many). I would have to wait a while until my DE blade pack is sufficiently low before trying to get more blades passed the wife.

I've not yet looked at the Connaught razor will need to do so.

Just realised should of said need to check the razor at Executive Shaving not Connaught Shaving. It was the single edge blades from CS. Oops!

Hi Al, I have a gillette slim that's not much to look at but works great. You can have it for free if you like. PM me for details or further discussion...

Just looked at the Brave heart head at Executive Shaving and it looks good. The head is still a bit outside the budget (£15) especially when P&P are added (extra £4). Maybe something for the future perhaps.

Would like a Fatip but second hand ones don't seem to come up that often. Otherwise once again they are out of budget :(

Just managed to pick up a British made NEW long comb and a HD 500 Rocket for £13.50 combined on that popular auction site. Bargains can be found my friend and both of those are fairly aggressive with the tto being smoother.
Happy hunting!

Top Bottom