What's new

Best cheapish cream in a tube?

Palmolive. My favourite variety has to be the Menthol one. I love the Menthol in it and that slightly medicinal scent. It lathers really well and easily for me. I recently scored a bit of a bargain on the Classic with Palm Extract - the local independent pharmacy around the corner from my house was having a bit of a stock clearance and they had 2 tubes of it priced at £0.90 each.

They also had Erasmic for the same price.

Ingrams can be had quite cheaply in the U.K. too.

I am looking to move into relatively cheap creams from a tube, such as Nivea, La Toja, or Gillette Pure. Which of these have you tried perform well?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I use speik, c.o. bigelow and proraso red and white. Personally don't care to much for the scent on white but all of them are quality creams that top out at $10 a tube.

proxy.php

Can't say. I have a tube of Proraso Green. And the cream out of the tube is...greenish in color.

The C.O. Bigelow I used today for the first time was white. And seemed of thicker consistency than the Proraso Green.

Your Proraso Green cream is green? Would not have expected that. I have a tube of each in my drawer as I write this. Mine is white, just like the CO Bigelow. I use both, they are identical.

Maybe just batch variation.

I have a tube of Proraso Green arriving in the post today. I'm interested to see what colour it is now

+1 for the Pacific Shaving Co. Caffeinated Shaving Cream. Great performer, enjoy the smell and feel. Inexpensive and available at Target and on Amazon. Use it to face lather w/o a brush.

I shave with soap far more than I do cream, but of the inexpensive-ish creams I've had, Palmolive has to top the list. I use the version in the red tube for the Italian market, but I believe it's the same stuff that's normally put up in a dark green tube for the UK and continental Europe. (I'm old enough to have used both the Brushless and Lather Palmolive creams made here in the USA.)

I also have a tube of Ach Brito Lavanda, but it has a strong menthol component that irritates my skin, so I tend to cut it with some DR Harris Arlington, which is an okay cream but not necessarily one I'd buy again. Together, though, I get a decent shave from the combination.

I have a tube of Lea Sensitive Skin shaving cream on order. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Regarding brushless vs lather, the instruction sheet that used to come packed with tubes of Burma-Shave insisted that studies had shown that the most effective way of getting the whiskers soft was to wash the face with soap for something like three minutes before applying a very thin film ("most men use too much", the flyer cautioned) of brushless cream. Considering that one should also lather a lathering cream or soap with a brush for about three minutes, it seems, pardon the term, a wash. :D

Who sells Palmolive? Ebay?
I'm sure you could get it on ebay, though I'm not sure it would be worth it. They don't sell Palmolive cream back in the US, but here in Germany you can get it for 0.70€ to 0.90€ for a tube. I doubt you'd get it anywhere near that considering shipping.

@Juanmosey, you should check out Connaught Shaving for the Palmolive shaving cream in a tube. Google 'Connaught Shaving' for the website. It seems WAY better priced there compared to the same item off the 'Bay + shipping is reasonable to North America, eh? +There's a few other items that you may want to stock up on/ try at that shop.

IMG_20190520_105433.jpg

Park Avenue Lather Shaving Cream - India.- Excellent.
Dettol - Cool Lather Shaving Cream - India. -Good.
Old Spice Original Lather Shaving Cream - India. - Excellent.
Godrej Lemon Fresh Shaving Cream - India. - Good.
Gillette Regular Shaving Cream - India. - Excellent. (Same ingredients - US version,little more concreted and more lather).
Axe Signature Denim Shaving Cream - India. - Excellent.
Gillette Series Shave Gel - India. - Good.
C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream - USA. - Excellent. ( Same as Proraso Green).​

I was generously PIF'd a tube of Gillette Pure by @brvisco. It performs well enough and pretty good in fact, I just can't stand the scent of it. For $6 at a local store though, it's worth a try as it makes great slick lather and leaves the face feeling good afterwards.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I use soaps for the most part but was having trouble with dry itchy skin lately and used Palmolive Classic this morning and had a wonderful post shave face. It is very slick and hydrating. I intend to use it for the next few days. Also, it is inexpensive.

I don't use many creams, but here's a few reasonably priced creams that I like.

With brush:
  • Palmolive
  • C.O. Bigelow

Brushless:
  • Cremo
  • Trader Joe's Moisturizing Cream Shave Honey Mango
  • Alba Botanical Very Emollient Coconut Lime Cream Shave

Except for Palmolive, I can easily buy all of these creams locally.

Top Bottom