What's new

Best cheap bourbon or whiskey

Granted its a Canadian blended whiskey, not a burbon...but I find R&R to be a real contender in a decent to good tasting bottom shelf whiskey. It can be had for as little as 9.99 per 750ml here. It really comes into its own with just a splash of water and 1 or 2 cubes.

I did a fun, non-scientific tasting of budget bourbons a few years back. It's old enough that the formatting in the thread is a little messed up, but you can check it out here:
Bottom Shelf Bourbon Taste-Off
And yes, Benchmark fared pretty well.
Spang, I just finished the above referenced thread. Awesome. Thanks for pointing to it. I am glad to see I am not alone in enjoying low cost bourbon.

Old Crow is solid. And inexpensive. Sure, I prefer Evan Williams in flavor, but Old Crow gets the point across in fewer letters and dollars.
Bourbon is just plain good. Compared to American non-bourbon and Canadian, there is tons of flavor even in the bottom shelf.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Rittenhouse, Jim Beam, and Old Overholt all are good rye whiskeys that stand right up against more expensive choices.

My favorites are Islay single-malts, but I always have a 1.75L bottle of Old Crow on hand. There's just something about it for mixing an old-fashioned, or on the rocks straight, that makes me glad it's in my cabinet.

For me it's Old Forester 86 or Wild Turkey 101 in the sub-$20 range. I prefer Buffalo Trace, but it's a step up in price (over $20).

I've tried Four Roses Yellow Label, but I remember it being too lightly flavored / border-line watered down tasting. I much preferred Single Barrel, though that is over a $20 jump in price. Never tried Small Batch.

I did not like Evan Williams Black.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you allow "cheap scotch" to be included ...

proxy.php

Evan Williams , Jim Beam and Wild Turkey 101 were always post hunting favorites. And I not had a DROP since 1988.

Top Bottom