What's new

Best cheap bourbon or whiskey

Ok, here is a confession. Though I can afford nicer bourbon and whiskey, I seem to have a taste for the very cheap stuff. When I buy for myself I usually select Benchmark, Kentucky Gentlemen, Old Charter, Old Crow etc. I don't mix it. I like just a splash of water or an ice cube. Nicer stuff seems off, and I feel that the more complex or sweeter notes are not good. It is a little embarrassing when my high brow friends are drinking $$$ and I have a $9 fifth of rot gut. They rag me about it. Even my wife gives me grief. I wonder if it is the sweetness that puts me off as I also can not stand any sweet flavors in food. I NEVER eat dessert. So, here are two questions:
1) What is it about cheap bourbon that is more appealing to some than expensive examples? is it the price because we are cheap in general? Is it the level of sweetness? Is it some other alluring thing I have never thought of?
2) If you had to drink a very cheap bourbon or whiskey for the rest of your life which one would it be?

Hey, maybe you should try Scotch? I'm not a fan of Scotch but it may be more to your liking given the notes. To me Bourbon is naturally sweeter than Scotch, YMMV.

My preference is Bourbon and for cheap Bourbon I drink Ezra Brooks. It's got a kick at 90 proof but it certainly doesn't break the bank. Bottom shelf stuff but it comes in glass which is a plus to me as I can taste plastic and hate it.

Hope that helps.

Chris

I've been touring bottom shelf bourbons. I don't think that sweetness is exclusively a cheap bourbon thing but your experience may be different than mine. I think the biggest appeal for me is the price. If I can find something that I enjoy, why pay 2x, 3x, 4x+ the price? I can't afford to be a snob! :001_cool: The biggest difference I see between cheap and more expensive bourbons is that the cheap bourbons often have a thin or incomplete flavor signature. A more expensive bourbon will be flavorful from the start and different notes will reveal themselves from the time you take a sip until after the swallow. A cheap bourbon may only have 1 or 2 notes, taste thin or flavor might even kind of disappear or flatten out between sip and swallow.

Two cheap bourbons that I enjoy that seem to have a fuller taste profile are Evan Williams black label and Ezra Brooks 90 Proof.

Hey, maybe you should try Scotch? I'm not a fan of Scotch but it may be more to your liking given the notes. To me Bourbon is naturally sweeter than Scotch, YMMV.

My preference is Bourbon and for cheap Bourbon I drink Ezra Brooks. It's got a kick at 90 proof but it certainly doesn't break the bank. Bottom shelf stuff but it comes in glass which is a plus to me as I can taste plastic and hate it.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Hey I think that is a good idea. Its been a long time since i drank scotch. I think I remember liking one called Glenmorangie

I’m pretty sure that when most people think “best cheap” they mean cheap that tastes like the more expensive stuff.

For me the best cheap stuff is Very Old Barton and Evan Williams.

It’s ok to like what like, but I have a solution for you.

Each time you buy a bottle of bottom shelf booze PayPal me $100 and I’ll make you a label on Photoshop for ”KzooRichie’s Super Spendy High Brow Bourbon”. Slap that bad boy over the label of your rot gut and tell everyone that your booze can only be acquired through an elite broker.

Four roses yellow is a great bourbon that is cheap. I visited the distillery and one of the actual distillers told me that was his favorite out of all the four roses made.

Another goto for me is Bulleit Rye, Henry McKenna bottled in bond, and Evan Williams. Maybe try Rye as it is a stronger flavor profile that regular bourbon and imho much less sweeter.

Gentlemen,
I am going to try 4 roses yellow. I have tasted the nicer 4 roses but it was too sweet. I remember liking George Dickle and Evan Williams. I do not remember ever buying a rye but i might have had some during a late night poker or guitar night somewhere. Which rye is your fav?

Last edited:
Gentlemen,
I am going to try 4 roses yellow. I have tasted the nicer 4 roses but it was too sweet. I remember liking George Dickle and Evan Williams. I do not remember ever buying a rye but i might have had some during a late night poker or guitar night somewhere. Which rye is your fav?
Can't go wrong with Crown Royal.

Looks like I have a shopping list developing. I bought my normal 1/2 gallon of Benchmark on Tuesday. It was 16.99. It is probably my favorite. Price is not the first consideration but simple flavor with low sweetness is my preference.

Top Bottom