What's new

Best Canned Coffee?

Fair Trade isn't inherently Fair. Maybe one day I'll write something up about it in this forum. It does mean stable pricing that doesn't swing with the C market, but it doesn't allow for increasing pricing for quality. So, is it fair to be reliably stable without allowing for any upward mobility? It depends. It looks like this post is coming sooner than I thought.

When Folgers is FRESH (I mean, like, just opened!!) their ground coffee is GREAT, IMHO!!

As far as whole bean, for the $$$, I'll stick with Eight o Clock Bean!! If it's kept fresh and ground right before brewing, I love it. Not that I care about ratings or what others think, but it usually gets pretty good ratings in consumer mags too.

Is that a trick question? It isn't fresh before you open it, so how can it be fresh after you open it?
OK - let me rephrase it. The Pilon packaging doesn't seem to be resealable, and it doesn't appear "canned" - is that correct? Do consumers typically store the unused ground in plastic bags?

Welcome to B&B Mr.Royal.
No need to curtsy or bow. The moniker actually refers to an old sports dream of mine involving the Minnesota Vikings that hasn't come to fruition. Thanks for the welcome nonetheless. :)

I don't have any direct answer to your question. But if you find yourself enjoying coffee more and liking the Keurig machine and its refills, I might suggest looking into whole coffee beans and a grinder, so that you can control the particle size and get flow rate adjusted properly. But taken too far, these extra steps might negate the convenience of the Keurig to the point that a different brew method would give you as good or perhaps better results. Otherwise I would just encourage you to experiment with different coffees.
For me, convenience is the key - quick and easy preparation.

I drink decaf. I find the coffee I prefer in a can...or elsewhere...is Tim Horton's decaf....don't know if Tim Horton's is available in the States.

Fair Trade isn't inherently Fair. Maybe one day I'll write something up about it in this forum. It does mean stable pricing that doesn't swing with the C market, but it doesn't allow for increasing pricing for quality. So, is it fair to be reliably stable without allowing for any upward mobility? It depends. It looks like this post is coming sooner than I thought.

+1 (although I don't want to spark an economics debate)

That being said, IMHO, Newman's Own isn't a bad cup of coffee for something prepackaged

OK - let me rephrase it. The Pilon packaging doesn't seem to be resealable, and it doesn't appear "canned" - is that correct? Do consumers typically store the unused ground in plastic bags?

I have seen people put these foil packages inside a similar sized Tupperware storage container. Or just fold the top back over and wrap a big rubber band around it, trying to keep it all sealed up. This real issue is that none of these methods work that well, since the coffee has started to get stale while sitting on the shelf, especially if its pre-ground. The fresher you can buy it, the better it will be, but once you open up the package the process will accelerate. So even your best efforts at storage will probably be unsatisfactory.

I have not used a Keurig, so I am speaking without first hand knowledge, but I expect that you will find using pre-ground coffee with the refillable basket to be inferior to your prepacked K-cups. As the factory packed cups are probably C02/vacuum packed to retard the coffee oxidation. If you used freshly roasted whole beans that you ground at home, then the whole situation might be reversed, but the convenience factor is less.

In my cupboard.

Attachments

• $cafe.jpg
    $cafe.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom