What's new

Best Canned Coffee?

As far as canned coffees go, Costco's Kirkland brand is drinkable. I don't by any means prefer it, but it's not one of the coffees I won't drink.

The Costco Signature Canned coffee is what I pull out when the in-laws are visiting. Does that make me a bad person?

I like whole bean, grind at home as needed. Also, it was rated much higher than Starbucks by consumer digest. I use a french press for coffee making so it may be different if you use a different method.

That is the exact opposite of what this thread is about you know, even though I do prefer that method as well, and commonly brew 8 O'clock grind as I need. I typically brew in a drip pot because it is easier. I do use a french press, and like the results when I do.

However this is particularly inconvenient when I am entertaining and need to brew several pots of coffee over a day or weekend, or using my "food service" size coffee peculator (Coffee ruiner? it makes a good cupa, but an hour later it is just mud) where my little grinder can't even grind enough at one time if I wanted to, and I have to let the little thing cool down a couple minutes before grinding more.

Phil

If you enjoy espresso roasts made in a regular drip method, the Cuban family that owned and ran Rowland down in Miami put out a nine or ten different offerings until just recently. Their most well known is "Cafe Bustelo" and "Pilon", which until recently were both made with 100% Arabica. My last shipment was labeled "Arabica Blend". Upon further inquiry, I have read where the family company had been sold to the big boys.

I know some of these Latin roasts are too too dark for some of you elitists, but hey, we're talking about canned, ground coffee. These Caribbean espressos give a good, strong pot, and can be custom made with varying water/coffee ratios depending on your tastes.
$bustelo.jpg$pilon.jpg$oquendo.jpg$el pico.jpg

If you enjoy espresso roasts made in a regular drip method, the Cuban family that owned and ran Rowland down in Miami put out a nine or ten different offerings until just recently. Their most well known is "Cafe Bustelo" and "Pilon", which until recently were both made with 100% Arabica. My last shipment was labeled "Arabica Blend". Upon further inquiry, I have read where the family company had been sold to the big boys.

I know some of these Latin roasts are too too dark for some of you elitists, but hey, we're talking about canned, ground coffee. These Caribbean espressos give a good, strong pot, and can be custom made with varying water/coffee ratios depending on your tastes.
View attachment 225714View attachment 225715View attachment 225716View attachment 225717

My local supermarket just started carrying some of these--I'll need to try a few out.

Stewart's Private Blend out of Chicago is very good, though it's a few dollars more pricey than it needs to be.
I'm more than okay drinking Maxwell House. It seems to taste better when percolated, rather than dripped.

I picked up a can of Yuban the other day just to try something different as my everyday morning coffee. I like it much better than the Community Coffee Cafe Select that I'd been using for a while. Good product.

My local supermarket just started carrying some of these--I'll need to try a few out.

Since getting a Keurig machine a few months ago, the convenience has greatly multiplied my coffee consumption. We recently added a refillable basket filter for it, which allows for the use of non-prepackaged-Keurig coffees. It seems I'm settling mostly on the darker and espresso roasts, with the Chock Full Of Nuts Dark Roast and especially Cafe Bustelo being my current favorites. The machine does have a bit of trouble pushing the water through the basket when I brew the fine ground Bustelo (it comes out slower, and seems to leak some of the water from the side), but it doesn't seem to be causing any permanent damage. If anyone can suggest some less finely ground Arabica coffees that work well in a Keurig machine, I'm anxious to try.

BTW - how do you keep the Pilon coffee fresh after you open that package?

Since getting a Keurig machine a few months ago, the convenience has greatly multiplied my coffee consumption. We recently added a refillable basket filter for it, which allows for the use of non-prepackaged-Keurig coffees. It seems I'm settling mostly on the darker and espresso roasts, with the Chock Full Of Nuts Dark Roast and especially Cafe Bustelo being my current favorites. The machine does have a bit of trouble pushing the water through the basket when I brew the fine ground Bustelo (it comes out slower, and seems to leak some of the water from the side), but it doesn't seem to be causing any permanent damage. If anyone can suggest some less finely ground Arabica coffees that work well in a Keurig machine, I'm anxious to try.

BTW - how do you keep the Pilon coffee fresh after you open that package?

Welcome to B&B Mr.Royal. I don't have any direct answer to your question. But if you find yourself enjoying coffee more and liking the Keurig machine and its refills, I might suggest looking into whole coffee beans and a grinder, so that you can control the particle size and get flow rate adjusted properly. But taken too far, these extra steps might negate the convenience of the Keurig to the point that a different brew method would give you as good or perhaps better results. Otherwise I would just encourage you to experiment with different coffees.

Newman's Own coffee is pretty good. "Nell's Breakfast Blend" is what I drink. And their coffees are Fair Trade certified meaning the coffee growers aren't taken advantage of.

$coffee.gif
I also like Cafe Bustelo and basically any coffee. The only coffee I don't like udually is the Folgers, Maxwell House, Taster's Choice type stuff.

Top Bottom