What's new

Best Canned Coffee?

My grandparents only drank Folger's Classic from the stovetop percolator. They really had a knack for the amount of grounds and the timing of the brew. Whenever I am in the mood for a cheap coffee, that's my go to. I only let it perc for about 4-5 minutes, and it produces a nice smooth brew without a lot of bitterness. I've freshly-ground some beans for the french press that were nastier than plain ol' Folger's Classic

Like smoking unfiltered Pall Malls, my Dad only drank Maxwell House coffee. In fact, that would have been the first coffee I ever drank as well. Probably just as good as a fresh cup of Starbucks.

I get I wouldn't like it now though - apparently according to my family and friends - I've become a coffee elitist. :smile:

-jim

The Interwebs say that Dallmayr Prodomo can be had in a latched tin, so I'll throw my hat in the ring. I went on a several month kick of trying several foreign vacuum-sealed coffees. Jacobs and Tchibo did not impress. But the Dallmayr was delicious. Really opened my eyes to was a pre-ground coffee could offer. I sent some as a Xmas present this year to someone who doesn't grind beans. Recommended.

Oh yeah, the OP said that good coffee does not need to tainted by sugar and cream. He's wrong. It does need to be tainted. Thank you B&B for allowing me to express my opinion as if it were fact. :)

Steve

Oh yeah, the OP said that good coffee does not need to tainted by sugar and cream. He's wrong. It does need to be tainted. Thank you B&B for allowing me to express my opinion as if it were fact. :)

Steve

I agree. Even the best coffee needs a spot of good cream to release all the flavors.

For health reasons I have had to all but give up coffee but am still somewhat in the game in that I drink Folgers Simply Smooth Decaf. And, all things considered, it is really rather good.

But, this is not about that.

I once was at "The Breakfast Club" on Tybee Island just off the coast from Savannah and was quite taken aback by the quality of the coffee. I mean REALLY taken aback. I was a regular Starbucks drinker but this coffee had an amazing depth of flavor without being overbearing, the aroma was fantastic, etc. In short, it was simply a fantastic cup of coffee.

At one point I flagged the waitress down, perhaps as she was refilling my cup, and I said, "This is simply one of the best cups of coffee I've ever had, what is it?"

"Maxwell House"

Just sayin'.

Needless to say, when I went home, MH replaced SBUX, et al, and I drank it quite happily for the next few years.

One trick I've learned is not to buy the huge tubs. Yes, the smaller ones are more expensive but because you go through them quicker the coffee stays fresher. And that, I think, is the key to supermarket/canned/bagged coffee.

Cheers!
-Greg

Waking up to a cup of Yauco Selecto Gourmet Ground Coffee from Puerto Rico (4 Tbsp of coffee per 12 cups of water in our "Mr. Coffee" Automatic Drip Coffee Machine), is primo.

Winner Winner right there. I love that stuff. Got hooked on it when my grandma lived in Puerto Rico. I can't find it locally where I live though. I also like Cafe Yaucono in the bag.

I like chock full of nuts as well, and Cafe Bustelo.

Last edited:
I recently picked up a can of Chase and Sanborn.A brand I had not purchased in years...and it is pretty good.A mild light-medium roast without bitterness.

Last edited:
For health reasons I have had to all but give up coffee but am still somewhat in the game in that I drink Folgers Simply Smooth Decaf. And, all things considered, it is really rather good.

But, this is not about that.

I once was at "The Breakfast Club" on Tybee Island just off the coast from Savannah and was quite taken aback by the quality of the coffee. I mean REALLY taken aback. I was a regular Starbucks drinker but this coffee had an amazing depth of flavor without being overbearing, the aroma was fantastic, etc. In short, it was simply a fantastic cup of coffee.

At one point I flagged the waitress down, perhaps as she was refilling my cup, and I said, "This is simply one of the best cups of coffee I've ever had, what is it?"

"Maxwell House"

Just sayin'.

Needless to say, when I went home, MH replaced SBUX, et al, and I drank it quite happily for the next few years.

One trick I've learned is not to buy the huge tubs. Yes, the smaller ones are more expensive but because you go through them quicker the coffee stays fresher. And that, I think, is the key to supermarket/canned/bagged coffee.

Cheers!
-Greg

SWMBO and I spent a week in Savannah/Tybee a few years ago and have resolved to retire to Tybee when the time comes. In approximately 150 years. :lol:

Canned coffee is one thing, but chicory, that is quite another. Makes me want to hoard a 1000 pounds of green beans away just in case of some future coffeeageddon.

-jim

Very rarely do I drink regular coffee, but on occasion my wife and I will brew a pot of decaf in the evening. The best decaf we have found for the buck is Kroger's house brand. Their regular caffeinated ground coffee is supposedly wretched and vile, but the decaf is surprisingly tasty.

They must source their decaf from a different supplier or something, or maybe the decaffeination process washes the yuckiness out of their supplier's beans.

While in Missouri I found Thomas coffee at a Walmart it's from St. Louis it's pretty good for canned. 100% Arabica Colombian and Costa Rican coffee.
proxy.php
[/URL]

While in Missouri I found Thomas coffee at a Walmart it's from St. Louis it's pretty good for canned.

Thomas is not bad at all. Some of my favorites are:

Bustelo
Lavazza
Illy
Dunkin Donuts

I drink a lot of coffee.... so its quite often that I am at Ralph's and just buy ground coffee at the store

Agreed, Trader Joe makes some good roast, best instant was Lotte (South Korea brand). Here in the states they only have them sweetened with creamer in the pouch. They are individual servings in a pouch like SB Via which I just tried for the first time today, it tasted a little burnt to me; possibly the blend... What kind of Via do you usually get?

The bagged coffee from World Market is pretty good stuff as well. Normally I'm grinding beans, but when I'm going through lazy cycles and am using ground coffee, it's usually what I use (that, or Community Coffee Cafe Select).

Cheers!

Top Bottom