What's new

Best Canned Coffee?

I mentioned Illy in my original post, when I started this thread. But I can't see paying $26 per pound for any coffee.

Illy is good stuff, but I don't think it is superior to any other typical espresso roast. Dark roasted coffee tends to taste pretty similar. :tongue_sm

My everyday coffer is mail-ordered Torrefazione Settebello from Studio LX in IL, but that's bagged, not canned. $9/lb.

If you won't go $26/lb, then I'm guessing that Kopi Luwak is entirely out of the question? :biggrin1:

I liked Hello Boss, got it out of Hy-Vee. About $00.99 or so for a 12 oz can. Put it in the fridge and you're good to go.

proxy.php

Hello Boss! :lol:

This stuff ain't half bad. It's pretty good, actually. I used to get it at the .99¢ Store. I haven't been there in while, I hope that they still carry it. They're specially good in the summer when you're on the go.

I use an empty can (they're steel) of this stuff as a blade safe. I just opened a slit with a knife instead of using the tab.

not a can but pre ground vacuum sealed. I find this better than most fresh roasted beans I can get my hands on here in coastal North Carolina. The grind is just about right for my machine. The flavor is rich and I get a descent crema.

proxy.php

+1 on Cafe Pilon. Pretty good coffee. It is a espresso grind, so it's not ideal for a French Press, but it's great with a Moka pot. :thumbup1:

It's pretty inexpensive too. Target carries it for under $4.00

Anyone who's lived in Japan might remember this stuff - it really wasn't particularly good, but I used to drink a ton of it anyway

proxy.php

For a cheap canned coffee available just about everywhere...I would go with Yuban. Anyone who drinks Folgers or Maxwell House should do themselves a favor and buy a can of this. For Decaf, the Walwart Brand canned Decaf is not half bad. Beats Sanka.

Bustello is OK as well. I will use that to make Cuban Coffee with my espressso machine. Watch out with the espresso ground coffees like bustello or Illy if you are using a drip machine with a basket filter. THey can clog them.

proxy.php

This what my father drank when I was growing up. He had one of those stove-top espresso pots (6 demi-tasse size,) and he'd make a pot every morning, enough to fill 2 8-oz coffe cups with cream and sugar. I loved the taste of it.

Their instant is pretty good, too, but I can't find it locally.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I see a Chock Full-O-Nuts getting a lot of replies. Didn't that go out of production many years ago and was resurrected in name only after the movie, "The Bucket List" came out?

I bought a giant tub of Chock Full-O-Nuts recently because it was on sale at Vons. But it's brutally weak coffee. Usually I grab either Seattle's Best, Starbucks, or Dunkin Donuts that's on sale with a club card

Is it a sad thing that until this thread, I'd never heard of "chock full of nuts" coffee?

Or just one of those things that just is.

Eh, I suppose you guys don't know of half the coffee brands we get down here, so I guess it's equal in the long run...

If none of you have tried it, get some Community Coffee from Louisiana (you can order online). When I had some in the military EVERYONE wanted it. They said it was the best coffee they had in a long time, so, dunno if it is because the ships coffee sucked or really was the best they had.

I can't taste the difference between anything anymore, for some reason. All coffee tastes the same, cigars are the same, all whiskies are the same /shrug

I'm not a huge coffee drinker (just started actually drinking cofee sometime last year), but typically I drink Maxwell House or Tim Hortons for canned coffee. Tried a couple more varieties around here, and they all tasted fairly similar.

Last weekend however I went and picked up some Cuban organic fair trade coffee from a local coffee shop, but I wasn't overly impressed. Had 2 cups so far, and both were too weak, as I'm not used to brewing freshly ground coffee in my percolator. I don't drink coffee in the evening typically, so I'll have to wait until the weekend to try it out again - and this time make it far stronger!

One thing I did get into as of Chrismas though is espresso. My in laws just got a nice espresso machine, and I've been having it every Sunday when we go there for dinner. I have to say I really enjoy it, except it doesn't last too long (maybe I'll have to start drinking doubles, like rye).

If none of you have tried it, get some Community Coffee from Louisiana (you can order online). When I had some in the military EVERYONE wanted it. They said it was the best coffee they had in a long time, so, dunno if it is because the ships coffee sucked or really was the best they had.

I can't taste the difference between anything anymore, for some reason. All coffee tastes the same, cigars are the same, all whiskies are the same /shrug

I second Community Coffee. My boss is from LSU and he buys this for us at work. It is not really expensive and I enjoy the taste. He buys it over the internet.

Tim

I know Folgers got canned, but the Classic Roast is very good IMO. Have tried some of the other styles of Folgers, not even close.

As far as canned coffees go, Costco's Kirkland brand is drinkable. I don't by any means prefer it, but it's not one of the coffees I won't drink.

I like Community Coffee with chicory, but some of it isn't. I like Luzianne Coffee better cause it has more chicory taste, and stands up real good to a slash of white mule.

If you did that sorta thing, I mean.

Top Bottom