What's new

Best Brush Type for Croaps ?

I only have experience with one, but it happens to be a very popular synthetic knot. It's just so easier to lather all soaps and creams with it.

I use a custom handle with a 24mm SynBad knot. Check out APShaveCo -- very affordable brushes with synthetic knots.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Agree. Synthetics. Most of them are excellent with very few exceptions. You can get a really good one from Razorock or PAA and it will serve you very well. The PAA Atomic Rocket is one of my favs. Costs around $15. Some of the Razorock synths are around $10.

I usually use horsehair or boar brushes for croaps. For Italian soft soaps, a boar brush is traditional, for instance, this big boar....
zenith-pure-bristle-aluminum-b02-a28.jpg

All my badger brushes work well with the croaps; I have been using Proraso and Cella in the main in conjunction with a scuttle.
I cannot see why any brush would not work with croaps.

I love my RazoRock Big Bruce model. It doesn't cost much and works great with any soap. It has a 26mm knot and a 60mm loft. Great brush and a very nice unique handle.

Ever-Ready_1914.JPG

Youd probably want something softer, like a badger or synthetic. I wouldnt use a boar with a croap because its going to pick up too much soap and your going to overload the brush and waste a lot of product.

I only have experience with one, but it happens to be a very popular synthetic knot. It's just so easier to lather all soaps and creams with it.

I use a custom handle with a 24mm SynBad knot. Check out APShaveCo -- very affordable brushes with synthetic knots.
My favorite brush is also a 24mm SynBad. To me it's just a Goldilocks brush, just right for everything.

Youd probably want something softer, like a badger or synthetic. I wouldnt use a boar with a croap because its going to pick up too much soap and your going to overload the brush and waste a lot of product.
You won't overload the brush if you do it right. A very wet boar brush, swirl over the soap with no pressure. It works outstandingly.

This is what Italian barbers have used for ages.

I like using boars with soft Italian style croaps. They perform well maybe because they load heavy easily. Use what you want any well made brush with a decent knot will work. I was surprised how easily soft synthetics lather up hard pucks.

You won't overload the brush if you do it right. A very wet boar brush, swirl over the soap with no pressure. It works outstandingly.

This is what Italian barbers have used for ages.
Far be it for me to question Italian barbers but I would think that a boar would have too much backbone, even if its well hydrated.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Far be it for me to question Italian barbers but I would think that a boar would have too much backbone, even if its well hydrated.
They do have more backbone, therefore load them less than a softer brush to get the same amount of product on the brush. I usually load a standard croap with a synth or soft badger for 16 seconds. If the croap is extra soft I reduce that time accordingly. With a boar, I reduce it down to 8 or 10 seconds.

Top Bottom